Staggered Nursery dates so losing 15hrs free funding -can I request earlier start date ?

(31 Posts)
HalestormRock Mon 31-Aug-15 17:45:48

Hi, My DS is due to start Nursery (5 mornings 9-12am) and the school has staggered the intake.
Intake starts on 4th and children trickle in so my DS start date isnt until 10th Sept. Therefore I am losing 15hrs funded time as he is starting 7 days later then official beginning of term time.
As a part time worker I was previously sending him the same hours (funded) to the schools pre-school meaning I had Thurs and Fri mornings for housework/grocery shopping etc.
I understand I will only be affected for a week, but feel a tad annoyed about this. I will also have to pay three full days childcare to childminder as rather then 3 half days childcare for the Mon-Wed when I am at work, so am considerably out of pocket financially too. There are plenty of SAHP at the school and many of their children are starting on the 4th - no discussions were taken regarding financial impact or childcare issues of these staggered dates for those parents who work (as usual we always seem to be an afterthought). No offence intended to SAHP purely looking at this from a practical point of view.
Would it be unreasonable, seeing as there is a gov obligation for the 15 hrs to be provided, for me to ask they allow my DS to either start on the 5th - giving me the chance to arrange on the 4th which will be my earliest chance, or request they allow him to attend the pre-school to make up the lost 15hrs.
Opinions welcomed please.

Norfolknway Mon 31-Aug-15 17:48:50

Many nurseries are like this.

I think you just have to deal with it. Someone more knowledgable may tell you differently, but we just sucked it up.

Norfolknway Mon 31-Aug-15 17:50:29

And, they do it for the benefit of the children. So they are not so overwhelmed

comingintomyown Mon 31-Aug-15 17:51:13

Its just one of those things where the cookie hasn't crumbled in your favour which is annoying but no big deal

Fuckitfay Mon 31-Aug-15 17:52:18

I would want to know when their funding for my child starts

OddBoots Mon 31-Aug-15 17:53:48

You can ask but there is no requirement - it isn't a government obligation in quite the way you appear to think, particularly not for the sake of a few days. There is no harm in asking though.

MsJamieFraser Mon 31-Aug-15 17:54:07

yabu, nursery isn't childcare, they do the staggering for the benefit of the children, not the benefit of childcare.

Bumbledumb Mon 31-Aug-15 17:56:18

Have you tried explaining the situation to the nursery? One of my friends was in a similar situation with reception year. Her DS was not due to start until Thursday, but they let him start on Monday as she was due back at work.

The reason for staggering the input is not to have all the kids having their first day together. The numbers taken in each day don't have to be exact.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Mon 31-Aug-15 18:02:13

It's worth asking but yabu to expect them to work around you, they're working for the benefit of all the children, not any particular parent. Maybe the children of SAHP are less used to group childcare setting so benefit more from the smaller group initially?

TeamBacon Mon 31-Aug-15 18:05:24

I don't think you would be unreasonable at all to request he starts on the 5th, not in the slightest

HalestormRock Mon 31-Aug-15 18:06:12

I think I will talk to the school. I understand that it isn't 'childcare', however i really can't afford to be paying out an additional considerable amount of money if it can be avoided.
Double costs throughout the school holidays have almost taken us into the red, so I guess it won't hurt to ask.
I do feel that they need to address this issue in the future, will mention it to the Parent Council I think.

HalestormRock Mon 31-Aug-15 18:12:03

Also, I would say that 80% of the children starting have already previously attended the pre-school, and these include all of the children of SAHP that attended too. So have no idea how they have prioritised who starts when.

My DS can't wait to begin, he is so excited about it that I know there will be tears if I have to drop my DD off and then take him off school grounds again with me. He'll be confused and disappointed I think.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Mon 31-Aug-15 18:23:49

You can ask, but you will just sound like a whiner. You also have a snotty attitude to non-working parents too which isn't pleasant.

TeddyBear5 Mon 31-Aug-15 18:42:33

The 5th is a Saturday??

MiaowTheCat Mon 31-Aug-15 18:55:13

Aaah so you're wanting the SAHP's kids to be bumped so you get in first basically.

Now we're getting to it.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Mon 31-Aug-15 19:03:27

I wouldn't ask for the sake of one week. Our pre-school stagger starts over the whole of September. Not everyone can start straight away. You would come across as being petty.

MiaowTheCat Mon 31-Aug-15 19:08:34

Our preschool staggers across up to about the October half-term... based mainly on the date you put your application form in - DD1 didn't start till October, DD2 starts on the 10th as I did her application much earlier.

I'm not petty enough to be complaining she's not absolutely at the front of the queue - they start one child per session to make sure they get well settled in (and do the job bloody well).

I'd be fucking livid and going right the way to the top with complaints if I was told my kids had to do without as I was less important because of being at home with them though. That attitude stinks.

BedTimeNow Mon 31-Aug-15 19:13:34

Op, the start dates may have something to do with your dc birthday or month they turned 3. (I'm sure that's what the teacher said).
my DD has the same start date as your dc.

comingintomyown Mon 31-Aug-15 19:23:17

Whether or not parents are working is absolutely nothing to do with it why do you keep mentioning it ?

Gymbunny1204 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:24:14

It's just part of parenthood. My child didn't do full time until mid January and any working parents had to sort new child care arrangements. School are not going to change things for you or else they'd have to for everyone. You'll just have to accept it and try and save for any future unexpected expenses.

hollieberrie Mon 31-Aug-15 19:24:37

I'm a Nursery teacher. When working parents ask we always rearrange so that their child can start as early as possible. Same for Reception and their staggered intake.

Its a bit late though - did you only just get the start date? Never mind, still ask. We always say yes - 1 child extra on this day or that day doesnt really make much difference.

JawannaDrink Mon 31-Aug-15 19:25:26

Of course nursery is childcare. Its not school.

WaxyBean Mon 31-Aug-15 19:28:43

My Ds doesn't start nursery until 29 September - despite having done the summer term there. As not all children have done this they are staggering the intake and doing a lot of induction (home visits, hour long sessions with parents) which I've refused as it will just incentivise DS to play up. I've written a complaint letter to the head that states all this, still waiting for a reply....

bimandbam Mon 31-Aug-15 19:28:46

I had similar with dd when she started. Annoyingly she already attended the school as I used their 0-3 childcare. It meant I was paying for wraparound care even though she had officially started ft school.

I brought it up with the head and got no where with it. Very frustrating.

Spartans Mon 31-Aug-15 19:29:03

For the love of God.

Ds starts full time on Wednesday except te teachers have decided to do Wednesday morning, Thursday afternoon then the first full day on Friday.

It would make my life easier if he went full time on Wednesday. Wouldn't dream of moaning about it.

Most schools/ nurseries do staggered intake. It should not be prioritised on who works and who doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now