To be pissed of at this?

(70 Posts)
LongDistanceLove Sun 30-Aug-15 16:29:19

There was a long queue for the bus, on a Sunday there's only one an hour.

The bus turned up and I waited my turn to get on, an older man held up the queue and said 'you're a lady get on the bus' I said no you first because he had a cane and was there first. Again he said 'you're a lady you need to get on first' I said no no after you.

He then said 'if you don't get on the bus ill grab you by the throat and drag you on' I am fuming, I did get on the bus at that point and didn't say anything as i was speechless and i didn't want to hold up the queue.

AIBU to be sat here fuming? angry

Goshthatsspicy Sun 30-Aug-15 16:33:26

No need for fuming. You just encountered a bit of grumpy man.
A man in lidl kept saying (when we bumped past a couple of times) "No, after you young lady" l'm 43! He was doing it purely to show off to his teenage son.

Goshthatsspicy Sun 30-Aug-15 16:34:25

But, obviously his language (in your case) must have been startling!

LongDistanceLove Sun 30-Aug-15 16:40:32

It's not even the 'lady' bollocks that's pissed me off.

It's the jovial 'I'll grab you by the throat and drag you on' that's really pissed me off.

Why can't I be one of these people who can summon up a response instantly, instead of over thinking it.

Ho hum.

alsmutko Sun 30-Aug-15 16:45:28

... And then he complained 'young folk nowadays always barging their elders aside'?
No?
What a grumpy old git. An patronising too.
He'd have got a 'oh for fucks sake' off me whilst I stomped on to the bus.

lorelei9 Sun 30-Aug-15 16:46:38

Oh I'd be well pissed off! I don't blame you.

Not sure what the appropriate response is, other than a dirty look.

there is so much wrong when someone thinks that's a "joke".

alsmutko Sun 30-Aug-15 16:47:14

Bet he later moaned to anyone who would listen that he'd met a real 'women's libber' who scorned his gentlemanly behaviour

LottieDoubtie Sun 30-Aug-15 16:48:21

He'd have got an 'excuse me?' from me.

How outstandingly rude of him! There is nothing chivalrous about his actions if he followed up with threats!

NellysKnickers Sun 30-Aug-15 16:51:49

Why not just say thanks and get on the bus hmm apologies but I just don't get what the problem was, he was trying to be nice........or am I missing something?

PeppaWellington Sun 30-Aug-15 16:51:53

Well I think my instant response would have been an urge to grab him by the bollocks and chuck him in the road.

I wonder how jovial he would find that.

I would be annoyed. I appreciate he was being polite (as he would have seen it) but pretending to threaten violence is creepy and undid all his earlier courtesy.

Because I am somewhat of a stubborn mule I think I would have said 'you certainly won't' and not have budged till the horrid man got on the bus first.

YANBU to be fuming. Are you likely to bump into him again?

NellysKnickers Sun 30-Aug-15 16:52:29

I mean before it got to the 'dragging by throat" stage

Osolea Sun 30-Aug-15 17:03:32

Fuming is an over reaction. He was being polite to you, you should have just got on the bus the first time he offered instead of arguing over who went first. He may well have felt you were being patronising towards him insisting that he should go first because he had a cane.

His response was completely inappropriate, but it's really not something that needs to make you fume. Forget about it.

Bearsinmotion Sun 30-Aug-15 17:09:51

Reminds me of a man I saw in the doctors waiting room. Was there with DD (3) who was playing with the toys they provide. He smiled at her, she smiled back, then he said, "Watch out, I'm coming to get you and beat you up!".

She didn't understand and just carried on playing. He obviously meant it as a joke rather than a threat but I was hmmconfusedangry!

Thought it was better to ignore him rather than make a scene, but really, why say that?!

lorelei9 Sun 30-Aug-15 17:09:57

alsmutko "Bet he later moaned to anyone who would listen that he'd met a real 'women's libber' who scorned his gentlemanly behaviour"

exactly!!

Birdsgottafly Sun 30-Aug-15 17:12:11

I get on buses with my Mums Wheelchair, my GD pram and on occasion, my elderly relative, it's easier if the quicker and the more able bodied get on first, so it's annoying when I say for them to go and they stand arguing.

I just give the benefit of the doubt, to what they say, my Mum will gyro say things that she thinks is funny, but is incredibly rude (in her confused way).

whattodohatethis Sun 30-Aug-15 17:33:26

He was trying to be polite. What does it matter who got on first

His joke was a bit inappropriate but fuming is an overreaction

YouTheCat Sun 30-Aug-15 17:36:14

Bloody hell! Talk about an over reaction.

Why not just get on the bus with a 'thankyou'? How hard is it to just be polite?

dontrunwithscissors Sun 30-Aug-15 17:43:53

hmm confused

WTF? It's the OP who is in the wrong? She politely declined & he threatened violence. Saying she should have got on the bus in the first place is utterly irrelevant.

mellowheart Sun 30-Aug-15 17:47:03

Everything would have been fine until the grabbing you by the throat bit. Strange choice of words.

ConfusedInBath Sun 30-Aug-15 17:49:54

I don't think you're overreacting OP.

Being told that you would be grabbed by the THROAT for not doing as you're told is appalling.

His age is irrelevant.

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Sun 30-Aug-15 17:52:06

You should just have got on the first or second time he asked and said thank you. It was patronising of you to refuse because he has a cane.

Purely for saying "sat", YABU.

YouTheCat Sun 30-Aug-15 17:53:04

None of that would have been said (and yes, totally bizarre and odd thing to say from the old man), if the OP had just got on the bus in the first place.

Who has time to have standing arguments in queues for the bus?

diddl Sun 30-Aug-15 17:54:17

"Why not just get on the bus with a 'thankyou'? How hard is it to just be polite?"

Why the fuck should she get on first just because he said so?

And why couldn't he be polite & just get on the bus when she declined??

VerityWaves Sun 30-Aug-15 17:55:36

Why didn't you just get on the bus ?

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 30-Aug-15 17:57:55

YANBU for being shocked at his threat. YABU for not just getting on the bus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now