Neighbours harrassing me about dog wee.

(15 Posts)
OldHarvingtonian Fri 28-Aug-15 18:50:09

I have an elderly, blind, arthritic little dog who can now only manage a short walk up and down our road. This is a very busy road and about 40 people a day walk their dogs down it. The dogs often urinate in the street outside/along my neighbour's garden wall. My neighbour, a bloke in his 40s, asked me to not let my dog wee there, so now I always make sure she doesn't. I walk her further down to an area that's not outside anyone's house to wee.

However, other dogs are still weeing outside my neighbours house, and he blames me for it. It's got to the stage where any time I step outside my house, either my neighbour or his father immediately rush out and start screaming at me about dog wee. When they are yelling at me, there sometimes isn't even any dog wee there. I've also told them that it's not my dog doing it, and that many other dogs are walked along here and its them doing it. My neighbour just yelled, "I don't care!" What does that even mean? He doesn't care that it is not my dog doing it but he is angry with me anyway? I don't get it.

One day as I left my house and started walking down the road, my neighbours father, in his 60s, came out and started yelling at me about the dog wee, blaming me. He actually chased me down the street yelling at me. Today, the 40-ish one came out of his house immediately I stepped out side and started yelling at me about it, and saying he's going to report me. He even said that I'm now longer allowed to walk down the right side of the road (where his house is) but only down the left side! I don't want to walk down the left side because there are steps there which my dog has fallen down before.

Today I told the police about this harassment, they filed a report, but I decided I didn't want them to talk to the neighbours about it yet as I have to live here and I don't want to aggravate them. But now I feel I can't go out of my own house without being harassed. Even if my dog hasn't even been outside and another dog has weed near their house (even if it's several yards away from their house) they blame me and scream at me about it. What should I do?

Chickychickyparmparm Fri 28-Aug-15 18:55:57

This isn't about dog wee anymore, it's about harrassing you. I would tell them politely and firmly that if they want to report you, they should go ahead. But if they continue to harrass you you'll get the police involved.

If they do it again then ask the police to have a word. No one deserves to be treated in this way.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 28-Aug-15 19:00:10

I think they are shouting at you because, unfortunately for you, you now represent every dog owner who let's.their dog piss against their wall.

Not on though, and if it escalates def get police involved. Can you walk a different way for an easy life?

Slammerkins Fri 28-Aug-15 19:05:53

They are bullying you and they have no right to harass you in this way. You say you don't want to be on bad terms with them but they are the ones running out, shouting and demanding you walk on the other side of the road. I would inform the police next time they do this and let them have a word. I bet they will stop then.

pigsDOfly Fri 28-Aug-15 19:06:27

They're bullies and they're intimidating you. You need to get the police to talk to them otherwise it's never going to stop. Yes, you have to live there but you need someone to stand up for you.

If it continues after the police has had a word with them then you report them again.

DawnOfTheDoggers Fri 28-Aug-15 19:07:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ConfusedInBath Fri 28-Aug-15 19:08:46

Oh ffs! How dare he talk to you like that? You must ask the police to speak to him.
He's bullying you. Please don't let him. Twat.

Elfhame Fri 28-Aug-15 19:10:10

Write down every time this happens, record it on your phone. Collect evidence. This is not a legitimate complaint, it's harassment.

Is dog wee really a problem?! They are nuts! Both my neighbours have dogs and I wouldn't have a clue where they are weeing.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 28-Aug-15 19:12:35

It sounds like this is unlikely to to stop on its own. They're bullies.

laffymeal Fri 28-Aug-15 19:15:08

What everyone else said. The dog wee is simply an excuse to bully you..

EponasWildDaughter Fri 28-Aug-15 19:17:23

Let the police go round to them OP.

I know you're worried about 'retaliation', but honestly, how much worse could it get?? They're already making your life a misery.

I would mention to the police that you are worried that if they go round and see your neighbors things will get worse. Ask them to warn them against doing that.

PunkrockerGirl Fri 28-Aug-15 19:27:19

I think the police need to have a quiet but very firm word. This is no longer about the dogs pissing up against the wall. They sound completely batshit tbh. It needs to be stopped before it escalates further. You have a right to walk outside your home without being harassed by this pair of bullies.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 28-Aug-15 20:01:20

Why on EARTH would you put up with this?? Honestly!! Get the police round straight away

chickenfuckingpox Fri 28-Aug-15 21:14:26

tell the police to talk to them if they escalate the harassment go back to the police dont let them get away with anything

you shouldnt have to live like this

Topseyt Fri 28-Aug-15 21:53:22

I had a similar type of bullying neighbour a few years ago. It was also about dogs, but about barking that he claimed to be able to hear at all hours of the day and night (not true). He seemed to blame the barking from just about any dog in our town on me, and the straw that broke the camel's back came when he began swearing at me and threatening me on my front doorstep.

I spoke to the police about that. They went round and gave him a warning. Apparently one of them even explained to said neighbour that dogs actually bark sometimes.

It was a few years ago now. Said neighbour still lives in the same place, as do I. He has never bothered me since, and even makes some effort to say hello in the street now. It really had an effect, and in a good way.

Tell the police to visit. It is about the only thing that is likely to pull your dick of a neighbour up short. It is the only language he understands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now