to get passive aggressive? (bins)

(6 Posts)
ElderlyKoreanLady Tue 25-Aug-15 20:04:41

My block has 8 flats in it with a big communal garden. Each block of 4 has its own front and back door. Bins are kept in the back garden.

Somehow, it's fallen on residents in my side (ie, my block of 4) to sort the bins each week. We're fairly easy about which one of us does it and basically, whoever remembers first does the deed.

But between 3 of us on this side (the other is elderly and we ask her not to as she's hurt herself doing it previously) we're doing the bins for all 8 flats.

We've tried talking to them (they apologise, say they will and never do), and we've now tried separating the bins out so that each side has its own set. They were separated out about 2 weeks ago.

In the small hours of this morning, I was outside having a cig and a resident from the other side lugged his bin bags right across the long garden (their bins are right next to their door, ours next to ours) and put them in ours. We had a quick chat and he mentioned theirs was full.

Today was bin day and nobody from their side has taken their bin to the front to be emptied. One of the other residents from their side has just half-filled our freshly emptied bins angry

I don't really know what else to do. We've tried being nice about it and we've tried making it more practical for them by moving the bins closer, we've also tried simply not doing it ourselves, but rubbish just starts getting dumped next to the bins until we relent.

WIBU to send them all postcards stating " There's no such thing as the fucking bin fairy "?

I suspect that would be very unreasonable but I definitely needed a rant about it

woowoo22 Tue 25-Aug-15 20:33:47

Get bin locks and do your own 4 bins only.

honeyroar Tue 25-Aug-15 21:00:02

I've never heard of bin locks, but they sound needed in this case. I think a bin fairy notice would be good too!

coffeeisnectar Tue 25-Aug-15 21:03:54

Yanbu.

At all.

Notices up everywhere 're bin fairy.

ElderlyKoreanLady Tue 25-Aug-15 21:40:48

Might have to discuss locks with other residents and see if they think it's workable. It's not a set of bins per flat...we have 3 large general waste, 3 cardboard and paper, 2 garden waste and 3 bottle bins between the 8 flats. It's plenty when they're all shared and even though we've separated the bins at the moment, it wouldn't be an issue if they used our bins when theirs is full (or vice versa) providing it doesn't fall to just 3 people to take the bins out.

Charlesroi Tue 25-Aug-15 22:03:56

Move all the bins to their side. When the bins fill up, dump your overflow rubbish by the side of them.
We have some problems with this too. No other bugger regularly puts their bins out, and if we put just ours out it'll be the only one emptied. With predictable consequences. So we put them all out <sigh> as it's better than spending two weeks with rotting rubbish on your doorstep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now