How has your child changed after a year at school ?

(15 Posts)
journey2013 Sat 22-Aug-15 22:54:12

Just that really what changes have you noticed...behavior, relationship with you, confidence etc.....

UrethraFranklin1 Sat 22-Aug-15 23:00:56

Aibu, really?

PavlovtheCat Sat 22-Aug-15 23:03:58

confidence has increased dramatically for DS in reception class over the last year. Socially, academically (he would not hold a pen as it upset him he couldn't write straight away), talking is fabulous - he is far more expressive verbally, thirst for knowledge is amazing, sleeps in his own bed most nights now (used to sleep in our bed most nights, for most of the night).

He is also perfectly behaved at school, and so kicks off a lot at home, he has adapted so well to school routine, he is not happy without it in holidays for long, he gets overtired so often his behaviour is poor at home. tests a lot of boundaries with us at home that he cannot/wil not do at school.

Relationship wise, he remains beautifully loving. However, he can now write a card with a picture of me and him and a heart and 'to mummy, i love yuo. Love from from <DS> xoxo' which he couldn't do before!

RiverTam Sat 22-Aug-15 23:04:39

She had a great first year at school, really gained in confidence, chats to other children in the park very easily, that kind of thing. Nothing really negative, I mean nothing that has anything to do with school.

Why?

PavlovtheCat Sat 22-Aug-15 23:04:52

oooh i didn;t notice it was in AIBU! <blush> oh I might just have helped a journo write tomorrow's piece!

journey2013 Sat 22-Aug-15 23:16:25

have noticed a growth in confidence however some behavior which i dont like so much....at times VERY loud, speaking in an american/'baby' voice when previously she spoke very clearly..............maybe i'm being too picky ?

PavlovtheCat Sat 22-Aug-15 23:25:16

the baby voice is a regression that my DS has done over the last year, apparently it's not uncommon, and is linked to fear/insecurity/realisation they are growing up, and as they become independent/confidence, it's a little anxiety about not being babies any more, reminding you they are still lovely and cute (instead of annoying that it actually is). I haven't explained that well, but I'm tired and words are not coming out well!

DS does it more when tired, and it has reduced recently, so think it's just a phase.

journey2013 Sat 22-Aug-15 23:27:46

pavlovthecat - thank you for the explanation very useful indeed ! :-)

Loki17 Sun 23-Aug-15 00:50:00

Don't tell me they change. sad My just 4 yo starts school in two weeks.confused

MyIronLung Sun 23-Aug-15 01:02:22

loki mine too sad he's been 4 for all of two weeks.

Hamiltoes Sun 23-Aug-15 01:14:34

First week down and she's been nothing but an over-tired, grumpy, know-it-all, cheeky little shite.

Someone say it gets better??? wine

RiverTam Sun 23-Aug-15 09:29:27

I waited in vain for DD to be tired out by school, having read on MN that this was practically a given- she was a bit to begin with but by the end of the first term she clearly wasn't tired out at all! So now she has loads of activities after school, but they don't tire her out either sad.

Smartiepants79 Sun 23-Aug-15 09:37:23

Definitely more confident and self assured. Bit more cheeky and boundry pushing.
We've had the funny voice thing and it drives me up the wall.
She was tired by the end of the first term but over all has coped very well despite having only just turned 5 this week.

Euphemia Sun 23-Aug-15 09:39:09

Hamiltoes I bet she behaves perfectly at school as well? wink Wee minxes ...

OriKumi Sun 23-Aug-15 09:41:58

much more confident
much better and more varied language
more thoughtfull and inquisitive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now