to think this is not a suitable or normal passtime for teenagers?

(36 Posts)
HookedOnHooking Thu 20-Aug-15 14:19:44

Bingo.

Gala. Bingo.

shock confused hmm

DD and her chap went yesterday. Apparently their combined ages were younger than the next youngest person there. But it was 'quite amusing'.

It's simply not normal is it?

YouTheCat Thu 20-Aug-15 14:23:08

My dd (20) goes to bingo with her grandma every now and again.

I can't stand bingo but each to their own.

helenahandbag Thu 20-Aug-15 14:23:35

DP and I went to Mecca bingo for a laugh one evening when we got a voucher in the post and it turned out to be a brilliant night! We went back the next week too and DP won a tenner grin

We were about 23 then. It's bloody intense though, I got really stressed out blush

AliceInUnderpants Thu 20-Aug-15 14:23:56

Suitable? Is she over 18?

CasperGutman Thu 20-Aug-15 14:24:55

Of all the things your daughter and her BF get up to, this is the one you are worried about? smile

HookedOnHooking Thu 20-Aug-15 14:25:29

She's 19. Shouldn't they be getting pissed or clubbing?

IssyStark Thu 20-Aug-15 14:26:25

It was v. popular with students at Bath Uni about 10 years ago. We (halls social committee) even ended up organising trips!

BastardGoDarkly Thu 20-Aug-15 14:26:36

Think bingo is seeing a bit of a cult revival with the yoof isn't it?

You're not really worried are you?!

hellsbellsmelons Thu 20-Aug-15 14:28:30

I used to go with my Ex-Ex-Ex and his family when I was much younger.
The fish man used to come around as well.
Do you remember those?

And... no, it's not normal but probably is a good laugh!

notquitehuman Thu 20-Aug-15 14:39:17

Bingo is actually quite cool now. It probably beats puking in a nightclub. Just about.

Savagebeauty Thu 20-Aug-15 14:41:15

My DS and mates went to bingo every night when they went away post GCSEs. They're 15/16.
Won too.

Squishyeyeballs Thu 20-Aug-15 14:44:12

Bingo is making a comeback and more and more young uns are taking to it! It's become mega popular around here!

StopLaughingDrRoss Thu 20-Aug-15 14:46:53

I went on Tuesday and won £60 - so so much fun.. grin

LurkingHusband Thu 20-Aug-15 14:49:11

Is this some weird unintended consequence of the smoking ban ?

ResetPassword Thu 20-Aug-15 14:49:29

Just be thankful it's not meat bingo
(although this might just be a northern thing?)

patterkiller Thu 20-Aug-15 14:53:00

Dd and her friends tour the local afternoon tea venues on Saturdays and have been known to even visit a garden centre. I feel your pain. I feel like I'm missing out on holding her hair when she's hurling or having my hand on hip while she tries to get the key in the door at three in the morning. Sad times.

Booboostwo Thu 20-Aug-15 14:53:00

It's all anyone does here (French countryside). It's very popular with people of all ages.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 20-Aug-15 14:53:06

I'm down South and we do a meat raffle at the pub I work in on Sunday.
Not every Sunday but probably once a month for charity!

hettiebaby Thu 20-Aug-15 14:55:03

I went to Bingo weekly with my Uni friends and this was only last term.

It was hilarious!! grinAlthough if you enter the grown up 'amusements' like slot machines, the locals can be quite aggressive if you have a go on "their" machine...I remember one woman distinctly screaming at our group as she had reserved it? hmmI've never heard of that personally but apparently it is a thing.

PopcornFrenzy Thu 20-Aug-15 14:57:14

When I worked at a gala bingo years ago, a group of students came in and I stayed by them explaining the game and how to play...they had an absolute ball

Anyway one of the massive jackpots went that night in our club, one lady won £125k and the other £125k was shared between all the players, these group of students walked away with over a grand each. They were over the moon grin

So bingo is a fab evening and can be quite lucrative smile

GamerCh1ck Thu 20-Aug-15 14:57:20

Bingo is a decent night out. You can have a few drinks, have a meal and a chance to win some money. What's not to like?

Loads of youngsters come to our local gala and if you win the three grand last house then it's a decent night out indeed and as it finishes at 9 then you have the option of going home or on to a club afterwards.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 20-Aug-15 14:57:39

We used to have a weekly bingo night in our student bar at uni, we loved it

BeatrixVBurgund Thu 20-Aug-15 14:58:47

We went on a night out there last year. We are not teenagers, but it was such a good laugh. We kept getting shusshed by the serious bingo players though!

The drinks are REALLY cheap. We went for the £10 bottle of bubbly instead of the £7 bottle of bubbly and the barman said incredulously, "Hey, [mate]! That's twa bottles o' that dear shite we've sold the day!!"

HedgehogAtHome Thu 20-Aug-15 15:18:43

I'm on a college course and I'm one of the oldest at 30. The 18 year olds love a night a the bingo. They get drinks and dinner for cheap, was a great laugh.

CMOTDibbler Thu 20-Aug-15 15:23:12

My 20 year old nephew and his girlfriend have gone on holiday to Scotland. To play golf.
Am seriously disappointed in them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now