Invoice addressed to husband

(68 Posts)
tbtc Thu 13-Aug-15 14:21:40

Just that. Invoice is addressed to husband, not me (who has had ALL dealing with them), not both of us (as would be expected).

IABU to expect invoices to be addressed to both parents.

RAGE.

hesterton Thu 13-Aug-15 14:22:35

Who wrote the invoice? What sort of business?

browneyedgirl86 Thu 13-Aug-15 14:31:03

Yanbu. I have had this. When we got our joint mortgage the bank sent a welcome to the new house package containing chocolate, wine and a tiny diy kit. They addressed it solely to my DP even though they knew it was a joint account.

tbtc Thu 13-Aug-15 14:33:44

hester It looks automatically generated. From a school my son is due to start in Sept.

CurlyBlueberry Thu 13-Aug-15 14:37:30

Yanbu. Our nursery address the invoices to both of us. They are sensible and I value them highly!

Our bank not only addresses both of us but has me first - Mrs and Mr Blueberry grin

ivykaty44 Thu 13-Aug-15 14:38:03

I bet you had to sign t say you were not label to pa hees if you split up .?

SewingAndCakes Thu 13-Aug-15 14:42:27

Yanbu. When we got our joint mortgage, DH was sent an email saying that if he transferred his bank account to the same provider, they'd give him £100 for transferring it, and £100 as a bonus. I transferred my bank account to them, received the first £100, but not the second. We've complained and asked why it applied to him and not me, but apparently "data protection" prevents them discussing DH's emails with me and vice versa. Grrr.

mollie123 Thu 13-Aug-15 14:52:16

somebody has to be the primary addressee / come first -
what a lot of fuss about who it is. How would the male addressee feel if everything was addressed to Mrs X or Mrs X came before mr x
of course data protection does not allow either party's emails to be discussed with the other (and vice versa) - obviously it should have been clear that only one of you would get the bonus £100 - could have been you or him but not both. hmm

hesterton Thu 13-Aug-15 14:58:38

Mollie, what are you on about.

The menu would suffer would they if the women were always the first addressee?

It's every day sexism at its finest. I'm not surprised it's a school but I should be.

hesterton Thu 13-Aug-15 14:59:04

Men

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 13-Aug-15 15:01:13

What bonus £100?

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 13-Aug-15 15:02:41

Oh I see - the bonus £100 that's nothing to do with the OP. Yawn.

auntpetunia Thu 13-Aug-15 15:02:51

To be honest it does just sound like the school system. If when you filled in the application form you Mr tbtc first and then you, then he becomes primary parent and person bills/letters are addressed to, same would work with phone priority.

lunar1 Thu 13-Aug-15 15:04:08

Who paid?

tbtc Thu 13-Aug-15 16:02:04

Everything to do with the school has been done by me. I'll have to check but I believe the bank account details they have are mine.

Sure, they have details of both of us and email communication goes to both of us, so why not invoices? There is no data protection involved in an invoice.

Bla bla...just get fed up with it. Why is the default the man?

FithColumnist Thu 13-Aug-15 16:05:37

It could be alphabetic, or it could simply be the order in which names were registered. I honestly can't think of a situation where a school would go out of their way just to ensure that the "important stuff" is addressed to a Man (with the implication that a woman shouldn't have to worry her pretty little head about it)

LurkingHusband Thu 13-Aug-15 16:08:35

Be a shame if that invoice went unpaid because your husband works abroad for weeks on end. It would be even more of a shame that the school would pretty much have to suck it up, since any court would agree that it's their mistake, not yours.

Or you could point that out to them ....

LurkingHusband Thu 13-Aug-15 16:09:19

Personally, I'd punt a pound to a penny there is some shit software at the bottom of this ...

tbtc Thu 13-Aug-15 16:10:15

If it's alphabetic my name would be first.

I am going to contact them, just wanted a rant.

Kewcumber Thu 13-Aug-15 16:15:45

I doubt someone has gone out of their way to address it to a man Fith but sadly I think thats worse - I think so many people automatically put men first in names and invoice the man of the couple. Casual sexism.

I'm an accountant OP, if I were you I would ring them up and say "Sorry the invoice is addressed to the wrong person, I'm paying it please reissue the invoice so I have the right details for my records. I'm so sorry you need to reissue it - I'd just assumed as I'd been the contact person all the way along that you're realise it was being paid by me".

It's not a lot of work to reissue an invoice.

BeaufortBelle Thu 13-Aug-15 16:17:03

I don't think I'd fuss about it - I just smile sweetly and say "yours darling". But having had a hospital apt this afternoon it really pissed me off that nurses were calling Mr Blogg out for male patients and Jane Bloggs for women. Why do nurses address the doctor as Dr Smith but use my first name? The doctors don't have a problem telling me their first name when I politely say "hello, I'm Susan, what's your name?"

Kewcumber Thu 13-Aug-15 16:17:54

No - I doubt there's no shit softeware at the bottom of it. I've used many many different accounting systems - they all print out on the invoice detials whatever you type in, they don't make it up themselves. Someone has made the decision to put DH in as the invoice payer. (Quite possibly unthinkingly after all its the men that earn the money and the ladies do the scholl pick up hmm)

LurkingHusband Thu 13-Aug-15 16:28:12

No - I doubt there's no shit softeware at the bottom of it. I've used many many different accounting systems

If an offshore development house was used, and they were given a sample invoice which started "Mr." then that is what they will deliver.

I've fixed many different accounting systems, and developers being clever with names is constant bugbear. The most common (and annoying) is an insistence that all names have a capital letter at the start and the rest lower case. Doesn't go down too well when the LeClercs, and deMontforts get misspelled investment statements ...

Especially in todays Cloudy world, where there are a plethora of online services.

LurkingHusband Thu 13-Aug-15 16:29:27

nurses were calling Mr Blogg out for male patients and Jane Bloggs for women

To avoid disclosing marital status ? Especially as "Ms" can be a tad inflammatory.

tbtc Thu 13-Aug-15 17:02:07

lurking How about Firstname Secondname for everyone?

kew I'm earning all the money AND doing the pick ups (from the bus station).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now