to think that some cloth nappies are not good for babies and are more about what the parents want

(48 Posts)
Karoliina Sat 08-Aug-15 10:05:34

I have recently converted to cloth nappies with my 6m old ds3. I have joined a number of Facebook cloth nappy groups where mums (haven't seen any dads or male posters) post pics about the rash and red marks caused by the nappies and the tight elastics on the fitted nappies. He mums then complain about how upsetting it is that these nappies cause these issues as the nappies are so cute hmm one particular poster said that cloth always gives his baby a rash which clears straight away with disposables, yet she always puts her baby back in cloth when the rash has cleared.

To add, I really love using cloth on my baby but I only use flat nappies (ie muslins and prefolds) which are made of 100% natural materials, with a wool cover to make it waterproof. This means that the nappies are completely fitted around my baby and do not press or pinch him (as opposed to the PUL covers which have elastics and have to be fastened tight around the baby's tummy).

I just have to bite my tongue when I see these posts, but IABU to want to tell these parents that the purpose of using nappies is to keep their baby clean, dry and comfortable (whether with cloth or disposables) and not for the parent to accessorise their baby with 'cause those prints are so darn cute'.

I'm especially hoping to hear from fellow cloth users if they've ever noticed the same!

MrsAukerman Sat 08-Aug-15 10:11:12

We use eBay cheapies, so PUL / elastic pocket outers with inserts.
DS is 8 months and has had nappy rash once ever. We use a disposable at night or on holiday and haven't noticed any difference in his skin between the two. The babies who get a rash in cloth IMO just need changing more frequently rather than putting into disposables.

I think another issue is that the cloth nappy manufacturers tell you not to use nappy cream as it clogs the fibres hindering absorbency so sometimes it's necessary to use disposables and cream but not because the cloth nappies are an issue but simply so you don't wreck them with the cream.

soverylucky Sat 08-Aug-15 10:11:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 08-Aug-15 10:15:32

I'm on FB cloth nappy groups too and haven't encountered this. I have seen parents posting whose children has terrible rash from disposables which cleared up when they switched to cloth.

OOAOML Sat 08-Aug-15 10:16:19

I almost fell into that myself, I was very keen on a particular nappy but it turned out not to fit my babies well (both of them had chunky legs and these were clearly made for skinnier babies). I did what most normal people would do and moved on to a different type. Have these people got access to a nappy library? I used to be in touch with people who would lend out different types of nappies so you could try them out to see if they worked for your baby.

For me though cloth nappies were a mix of keeping the baby clean, dry and comfortable, with the added bonus that once you found a style that worked you could get some cute prints. I used a lot of flat nappies like you (mainly because they were so adjustable, and our drying facilities weren't great so the bulkier nappies took too long to dry) but I do remember buying PUL wraps - with poppers not elastic - in prints I liked).

And if a baby keeps getting rashes in cloth then maybe some tactful help along the lines of checking if changing washing powder helps, whether they are using liners (a lot of people rave about fleece liners, but they gave my DS a rash), how often the baby needs changed etc.

I'm a good few years away from cloth nappy use, but do you still get the popper Motherease wraps? I found those very adjustable at waist and leg without being tight enough to leave marks. I did have a couple of Velcro ones and they seemed harder to fasten without getting tight.

MewlingQuim Sat 08-Aug-15 10:18:23

DD wore cloth nappies for the first 2 years of her life with no major problems. She used to get some soreness occasionally but it was related to diet (fruit=acidic stingy poo) not nappy type.

Since she has been potty trained during the day, we have been putting her in disposable pull ups at night, so that she can go to the toilet herself if she wants to (she cannot get the cloth ones back on by herself). She keeps complaining they are too uncomfortable and itchy.

We are a bit stuck for what to do now, does anyone know of cloth pull ups? We have some training pants but they are not absorbant enough to last overnight sad

Branleuse Sat 08-Aug-15 10:19:38

i think because if you follow all the cloth boards, its pretty evangelical. Some people probably are caught up in the fervour. I used cloth on ds1, but ds2 had more sensitive skin and was red raw from cloth. I still carried on, trying my best to make it work for ages. Tried again with dd, who was a bit better, but couldnt keep up with it. Felt guilty for ages though. Once you know about the environmental impact, its hard to not care anymore

HeffaLumpers Sat 08-Aug-15 10:19:53

YANBU. I have come across this on nappy sites. I have friends that have kids with horrific nappy rash from cloths, particularly when they go to nursery and don't get changed as frequently and despite this being an on going problem that doesn't get resolved they stick with cloth. I tried switching to cloth but my daughter was so noticeably uncomfortable because of the bulkyness and the affext it has on her mobility she pulled them off. Cloth is great when it works but there are a number of parents who seem to continue with it when it is clear that it isn't either due to cuteness or because it fits in with there attachment parent idea.

MrsReiver Sat 08-Aug-15 10:20:06

I think it's partly down to the exaggerated problem of powder build up that people are having problems with rashes. It's almost a competition to use the least powder, you see it all the time on washing threads. "I wash with 1/2 a scoop" "I wash with soap nuts" "I wash with pure water and prayers" Or you get the photos of washing machines full of suds and panicky posts worrying that their nappies will be destroyed by the bubbles.

Folk simply aren't getting their nappies clean enough, and then they wonder why they are getting smells & rashes.

Elastic marks are usually down to not fitting the nappy properly, or not finding the right brand for your little one.

MrsReiver Sat 08-Aug-15 10:22:19

No one should ever feel guilty about going back to disposables - cloth nappies just aren't for everyone or every baby.

SideOrderofChips Sat 08-Aug-15 10:25:46

I admin one of the cloth groups on facebook and you're right we do see it alot on there. I advise people to try and find a different brand to try but unfortunatly people seem to want to do it all as cheap as possible as an outlay and want to stick to what they hve bought.

Most of the nappies i find that do this are the cheap nappies that are mass produced in sweat shops in China.

Zeitgeistic Sat 08-Aug-15 10:31:44

I used cloth because all disposable nappies gave my DD horrendous nappy rash (I think she was sensitive to one of the chemicals used to absorb the wee). The soreness cleared up v quickly using cloth but returned if I ever tried disposables again.

I have come across the issues you describe on nappy forums though OP. Parents determined to persevere even though the nappies don't fit properly or they are getting leaks all the time. And other posters suggesting ever more expensive alternatives to try. I just used to think - buy a packet of Pampers! It's not worth the angst.

Zeitgeistic Sat 08-Aug-15 10:34:55

I think it's partly down to the exaggerated problem of powder build up that people are having problems with rashes. It's almost a competition to use the least powder, you see it all the time on washing threads. "I wash with 1/2 a scoop" "I wash with soap nuts" "I wash with pure water and prayers"

Yes Mrs! The competitive under washing was endemic on the forum I used to frequent.

seaoflove Sat 08-Aug-15 10:40:42

I think Branleuse is right. People can get so evangelical about cloth (and anything else on the crunchy spectrum), they could never switch because cloth is what they do.

NorahBone Sat 08-Aug-15 10:43:43

Aside from rashes caused by sensitivity to your washing powder/ chemicals in disposables there's no connection between the type of nappy you use and nappy rash. Nappy rash is caused by poo, no matter how much Pampers bang on about "wicking away moisture". (Bug bear alert! grin)

OOAOML Sat 08-Aug-15 10:48:54

It certainly was a bit evangelical when mine were young. I even hand washed nappies the first time my washing machine broke down. Second time round I went out and bought disposables. When we went on holiday with no available washing machine I bought disposables. I used to put nappies through an extra rinse to deal with any powder concerns.

I'm still using some of the nappies (younger child now 9) as floor cloths so I feel that offsets my occasional failure to head down to the river and bash nappies on rocks to get them clean wink

WomanScorned Sat 08-Aug-15 10:51:37

I've not come across this either - just people posting for advice, maybe with a pic of a sore bottom. I've not know anyone to just disregard it, at their child's expense, tho.
I have seen, however, a parent convinced that their child's rash is not down to only using 2 a day, as Pampers claim they last 12 hours.
My point is, that some people are clueless - they just are - but won't take well meant advice.
Also, we never had any soreness or leaks from any brand/type. We did get fustines once, but gave them a good, long hot wash.
I do see the competitive wash thing, tho! I wash with the minimum - the minimum necessary to get stuff clean!
The cute thing is not a problem in itself; I loved fancy nappies.
If cloth isn't working for you, just take the advice and make it work.

RolyPolierThanThou Sat 08-Aug-15 10:53:11

I've used cloth with both my two without issue. We use alvababy pocket nappies with microfibre, bamboo and hemp booster, no liner, a dab off coconut oil on any red areas. Never had nappy rash on either of mine.

If they're getting a rash, something needs to change, and it doesnt have to mean disposables.

Changing more often, different boosters, liner or ditching a liner, different cream.

Birdsgottafly Sat 08-Aug-15 10:59:01

I used cloth, firstly in 1985, everyone around me did, because disposables were generally too expensive for the demographic that I lived in.

Some babies do suffer from nappy rash more than others and changing what nappies that you use, can end that.

But as for using something because it looks cute, with some people, that applies to everything they buy for their babies; clothes, dummy chains, shoes, even the pram and bedding (which aren't the best choice for the baby's needs).

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 08-Aug-15 11:04:07

What have cloth nappies got to do with attachment parenting?

onedogatoddlerandababy Sat 08-Aug-15 11:05:56

My dd1 suffered terribly with cloth nappies and nappy rash, and we had a lot of leaks. Probably wrong shape but the sore redness within a couple of hours put us off searching for an alternative. (She also got rashes in naty nappies, delicate little flower grin wink)

Happily dd2 is absolutely fine in them, she is more likely to get a rash from a disposable.
I do wonder that I may have not been washing with sufficient powder or hot enough wash - I now blast them at 60 deg with ariel grin

pampers started leaving tiny bits of fibre almost embedded into their skin where the velcro fastenings were. Hideous.

needsomefeckingprivacy Sat 08-Aug-15 11:14:12

I totally agree on the underwashing. I used to frequent the nappy boards on here years ago, when they were very busy, and the answer to most questions was "have you tried stripping them?" or "you are using far too much detergent". Using cloth does get a bit cult-like, too. I think they are almost addictive. It was the same with slings.

I posted a while back, on somebody else's thread, about binning pooey pants when my school age child had an accident and I got numerous responses from cloth users saying how they would never do that, because they are washing nappies every other day and how terrible it was to bin pants because of a bit of poo. There was a definite sense of moral superiority. After years of not using disposable nappies I felt I had earned the right to chuck out a single pair of pants, now that I am not doing endless nappy washes.

Were people this evangelical about nappies before the internet? Can't imagine my mum waxing lyrical about terries.

MrsMook Sat 08-Aug-15 11:21:28

I've used cloth until recent months with Ds2. I've switched back to disposables because he's a chunkier build than Ds1 and elastics were begining to rub. We're too close to toilet training to be worth investing ina new.set, eespecially as I'm in doubt about having another to reuse them on. I'd like to still use cloth, but I console myself that I've saved about 2 years worth of disposables in landfill by my use of cloth between two children (I was a late starter with Ds1)

OOAOML Sat 08-Aug-15 11:21:30

I found that there was a big crossover on discussion boards between cloth nappy users and attachment parenting. Also when I was involved with the local nappy network a lot of people there were APers. A couple of people were a bit judgy but not the majority.

seaoflove Sat 08-Aug-15 11:23:24

Oh, everything!

You only have to look at an attachment mummy on social media to see that. You simply don't count unless you call yourself a Co-sleeping, baby-wearing, cloth-bumming, extended breastfeeding mama in your profile.

Extra points if you also manage to crowbar extended rear facing car seats as an integral part of your identity. I've seen it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now