Should I buy British?

(24 Posts)
NoahVale Tue 04-Aug-15 10:26:44

I.E Tesco in preference to Asda. Aldi, Lidl?
would you?

i am an asda convert but it is owned by Walmart and is American.

SaucyJack Tue 04-Aug-15 10:29:16

I don't think it really matters which international multi-billionaire supermarket chain you give your money to.

If you did want to make more ethical choices (and you're made of money) then using your local butcher/baker/greengrocer is better I think.

NoahVale Tue 04-Aug-15 10:29:46

Good point Saucy

Andrewofgg Tue 04-Aug-15 10:40:39

Oh dear Lord.

Do we have to learn all this again in every generation?

Buy British? Why not buy your county, your district, your village? Or why not buy European?

The struggle to repeal the Corn Laws was a struggle for globalisation - but they called it Free Trade and they were right!

DadfromUncle Tue 04-Aug-15 10:42:53

My local butcher was cheaper and far better quality than co op asda, tesco etc. Sadly he has retired and closed sad

NoahVale Tue 04-Aug-15 10:45:52

If not Buy British,
then support your local economy, rather than the US

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 04-Aug-15 10:48:35

If you can't/won't support your local high street shops (butcher, baker etc), then always buy fresh, seasonal British produce from the supermarket. No New Zealand lamb, or Spanish strawberries.

RachelRagged Tue 04-Aug-15 10:49:15

Can keep Tesco with its Workfare and plan on global (or UK) Domination.

I shop at Lidl, Sainsburys or, when feeling flush (not often), local butchers. I buy fruit at local fruit stall.

Flashbangandgone Tue 04-Aug-15 13:04:56

Buy what's best for you and don't be concerned about the country of origin (unless you have grave concerns about how the ethics of how the product was produced)...

A country or society that insists on buying it's own nations goods/services out of principle is promoting protectionism.

Protectionism by one country/society inevitably leads to retaliation from other countries, who adopt protectionist policies in turn. Countries then produce what they need/want themselves often at a far higher cost than would have been the case had they been able to import (similarly they are unable to export the goods/services they can produce more economically than others). The net result of this is that the total cost of production worldwide rockets (imagine how much we'd have to pay for bananas if we produced them in the UK!) This harms all economies (some more than others).

So, whereas 'Buy British' sounds very laudable, it's short-sighted and doesn't recognise the damage to Britain that protectionist attitudes have.

NoahVale Tue 04-Aug-15 13:34:02

oh,
cancels tesco order

NoahVale Tue 04-Aug-15 13:34:22

-reinstates asda order--

ShadowStar Tue 04-Aug-15 13:48:55

I don't quite see how it's harmful to Britain to try and eat food produced in Britain where practical? There's plenty of foods that can't be grown here because of our climate (and it would be silly to try and grow tropical fruits here just so you could get British bananas etc), but why not buy British fruit / veg that can be grown here when it's in season and available fresh, or eat British lamb rather than New Zealand lamb?

I wouldn't be picking my supermarket based on what country it's head office is in though. If I felt that strongly about buying British I'd boycott supermarkets altogether and buy all my food from local small traders and farm shops.

mmmuffins Tue 04-Aug-15 13:58:37

For environmental reasons I think it is best to try and buy food produced close to home.

alrayyan Tue 04-Aug-15 14:53:40

for clothes, M and Co make most of their stuff in the UK.

Hedgehogsdontbite Tue 04-Aug-15 15:01:44

Tesco's 2 biggest shareholders are an American investment company and the Norwegian central bank.

Coffeemarkone Tue 04-Aug-15 15:04:46

how is buying from Tesco 'Buying British'?
AFAIK the main profiteer of Tesco lives in Tel Aviv.
She had to run away from London after attempting to gerrymander Westminster...

WorktoLive Tue 04-Aug-15 15:15:58

I was surprised to read that alrayyan - surely few/no high street chains manufacturer in the UK?

If you mean this company their website suggests otherwise.

atticusclaw Tue 04-Aug-15 15:25:28

I think buying British is important. By supporting our farmers and manufacturers we help to support our own economy and that is a good thing. If there is the choice between British strawberries and Spanish strawberries for example I would always chose British. Added to that there are significant environmental benefits in reducing the air miles.

I wouldn't chose Tesco just because it's British but I would chose my products in the supermarket depending on where they are from (to an extent).

To say its protectionist and detrimental to everyone is silly because that argument only applies where the law prevents people from buying foreign produce. If we can support our own economy we should.

suchafuss Tue 04-Aug-15 15:29:21

Just don't shop at Sainburys!

fredfredgeorgejnr Tue 04-Aug-15 15:39:25

So, building lots of large polytunnels out of aluminium and oil is less environmentally impactful than shipping strawberries a few hundred miles in a lorry? I'd be interested in seeing the analysis, as it's quite complicated. How long does a polytunnel last - can the polythene and the aluminium be recycled, where do they actually come from? Is the water for the two set ups even equivalent, the hottest parts of the UK also generally have water shortages, how is the cost of acquiring sufficient irrigation covered?

Environmental aspects of food production is far from simple once you get into non-seasonal foods, and the commercial UK strawberry season is 20 weeks long, it's certainly not seasonal any more.

WaitingForFrostyMornings Tue 04-Aug-15 15:58:06

As others have said you should be shopping on the high street if you truly do want to shop British.

Some British companies also have mail/internet order available.

I genuinely believe in shopping British and most countries encourage purchasing 'home grown/made' products. Australia is very supportive of buying home grown products and their own produce has preferential sales advertising in stores.

Supermarkets are not really the place for you to be shopping British.

Always try and purchase seasonal produce (it's more likely to be British) and shop around. I used to have a list of where I could buy British locally. Unfortunately my local butcher only sold Danish Pork, New Zealand Lamb and Argentine Beef. Several people felt conned when I pointed this out to them so do make sure you check before purchasing.

atticusclaw Tue 04-Aug-15 15:59:57

I would imagine Spain would have more issues with water than UK but in any event it's not just about the environment, its about supporting our local economy/businesses and keeping people in work.

Birdsgottafly Tue 04-Aug-15 16:11:02

I can remember my GM (died 1990) actually thinking that Yorkshire tea was grown there.

OP, personally I try to make ethical choices, Tesco is the only place local to me that sells the Fair Trade Redbush tea I like.

You've got to do the best you can in the environment you are.

MameMarema Tue 04-Aug-15 16:12:46

I buy cheaper. Lidl is my favourite shop. Or fruit and veg in my local market, pound a bowl is my favourite phrase smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now