I have never been so insulted! Coca-cola enterprises!

(97 Posts)
Babs24 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:24:19

A month ago I was sitting in my living room drinking a can of diet coke, I got to the last sips and something slipped out of the can and into my mouth, my immediate reaction was to spit the coke all over my living room floor. I looked down and found a red, inch long splinter laying on my floor within the spat out coke. I've attached a picture so you can see it for yourself.

It was a large wooden splinter which thankfully I managed to feel in my mouth so I could spit it out, I dread to think what could have happened if a child had drank from this particular can as it was sharp!

I contacted the company and told them what I had found, they were apologetic on the phone and sent out a box whereby I would send them the can, the splinter and another can from the multipack I purchased it from. I done exactly that and after a month I called them up to ask what the outcome was from the investigation, they said they had put it in a letter which came today.

This is the insulting part as the letter stated that;

The factory only uses wood based pallets for finished sealed products.
All components come in plastic boxes or plastic pallets.
We have no idea how you have come to find this foreign matter as we are confident that nothing has entered into the soft drink in the factory.
All packaging stations are verified against the companies standard specifications.
There are many preventative measures placed in critical points to stop any kind of foreign object entering or contaminating any of our products.
We have checked site records and this was the only complaint recieved for this particular batch in question.
We regret we cannot offer further enlightenment.
We are pleased to have had the chance to look into your complaint.
We have enclosed vouchers for £8 for goodwill.

I mean how insulting right? They have basically said that I've put it in there myself and that the piece of wood didn't come from them, what bullshit. I am perplexed at there cheek to be honest, I wasn't expecting vouchers or money from them but to know where and how this piece of wood had got into my coke can! There were red marks on the bottom of the can and as the piece of wood was red it crossed my mind that it could have been blood which worried me so to have knowledge about this would have let me rest my mind about something like that but instead I get called a liar and the blame is put on me as a customer who brought up a rather large concern not just for 'maintaining high standards' but for the safety of others who consume cans of coke.

I'll never be purchasing a can of coke again because of it, I think that it's disgusting how they have written the letter and think that it's my fault when this wooden splinter came out of there product!

Babs24 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:25:48

Here are the pictures...

bendybrickpumpkinpatch Thu 30-Jul-15 13:26:50

erm..ok.

Pippa12 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:27:13

I'm not sure what you wanted them to say tho. They look like they've investigated it and couldn't give you an honest answer and sent you vouchers. I'd just buy Pepsi in future!

hissybug Thu 30-Jul-15 13:27:20

oh well, more for me!

whothehellknows Thu 30-Jul-15 13:28:48

That would make me quite cross. It's nice to know that they're "confident" in their systems, but somehow it managed to find it's way into your drink!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 30-Jul-15 13:29:13

What did you want them to do if their investigation turned up a blank, though?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 30-Jul-15 13:29:34

I am failing to see where they point the finger at you?

letsghostdance Thu 30-Jul-15 13:30:25

One time I found an entire spider crushed between the cap and bottle of a 500ml bottle of coke. It looked like the spider was in the middle of climbing into the bottle when the lid was put on and sealed. I emailed them and they never responded to me...

ArmySal Thu 30-Jul-15 13:30:35

What are you expecting?

I could throw a 6 inch nail into a can now and claim it was already in there, and take photos as 'proof'.

GraysAnalogy Thu 30-Jul-15 13:31:05

They aren't though are they, they're just saying they've investigated and have failed to come up with how it got in there. They've given you much more than the cost of the can, so be happy.

bendybrickpumpkinpatch Thu 30-Jul-15 13:31:53

Ive been way more insulted than that by the way........
So you know, every cloud ?

AuntyMag10 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:32:41

What were you expecting? They have investigated, provided you with feedback and reimbursed you for the price of the pack. And you shouldn't be surprised as people try this on all the time.

whothehellknows Thu 30-Jul-15 13:34:59

Pepsi? <shudder>

Baffledmumtoday Thu 30-Jul-15 13:36:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Thu 30-Jul-15 13:38:10

I'd send the voucher back to them with a note that as you dont share their confidence you'd be unable to use the voucher (which is true isn't it? - you wouldn't be cutting your nose off to spite your face).

I was in a similar situation a while back (a problem with a delivery) but they were prepared to give me "the benefit of the doubt". I felt they'd implied I was trying it on but they couldn't prove it. Lost me as a customer for good.

Babs24 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:38:29

I wasn't trying to get anything, I have anxiety and the fact that the wood was red and there was a red smear on the can worried me, they have basically said that it didn't come from them so they are obviously pointing the finger at me and that's what I find insulting.

GraysAnalogy Thu 30-Jul-15 13:39:32

They aren't pointing the finger at you. If they've checked everything at their end and found no answer what did you want them to say?

WizardOfToss Thu 30-Jul-15 13:40:40

There's no insult here, honestly. You're being very sensitive. Forget it and move on.

Pootles2010 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:42:35

Its not insulting because they don't know you, so they can't insult you. They don't know you from Adam, anyone could send something like that into them and expect a payout - it's not proof.

They've looked into it, what else do you expect them to do? You said you don't expect anything else so... what do you want?

Getthewonderwebout Thu 30-Jul-15 13:43:16

I'm channelling Elsa here.

When I was a teen, I rogue weird thing was in a bar of chocolate. The manufacturer sent me £6 worth of vouchers. Back in those days £6 bought a lovely stash of Chocolate or at least would have if my mum hadn't taken it to offset that week's food shop. But I did let it go. And you need to toogrin

GraysAnalogy Thu 30-Jul-15 13:45:25

When I was really young my mum found a metal wire in my pack of jelly tots. They investigated, turned out it was from wire brushes they use! I got a mahoosive box of sweets from them.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 30-Jul-15 13:45:44

What an over reaction.

<goes back to wasting time on the Internet and Not Working>

GreenBoatRedBoat Thu 30-Jul-15 13:46:12

A few months ago I found a large piece of plastic inside an oreo, I wrote to them and sent it back etc and they wrote a similar letter with £8 voucher. Seems like it's a standard amount, bit random! At least they looked into it. I wanted to get a bit more of an apology but really I've got better things to worry about than chasing that up. I just bought £8 worth of Toblerone grin

PtolemysNeedle Thu 30-Jul-15 13:46:22

You're taking it too personally, and I think you're being a bit silly to think it was blood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now