Neighbours issues...

(28 Posts)
daisyJ123 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:39:41

Hi all
Am I being unreasonable here? I don't know-please help!
The flat below me has been empty for a long time but now is occupied. Young couple - seemed fine. I am a single mum & really busy!!
When the couple moved in they left some furniture & junk in the (shared by me & them) front yard. I asked them to remove it. They did after 3 weeks & apologised for the delay. Then the smell of cannabis (skunk) started to come through the floorboards - I had a quiet word & the smell went away. Today I came home after 2 days away & the smell has returned. No chance to talk to them yet. A week ago they adopted a dog. I was in all Monday morning & the dog had major separation anxiety (they were out) & barked/howled for 4 hrs non stop! Poor thing was distressed & so was I after 4 bloody hours.
Finally they are filling up the front yard with rubbish & recycling but seem to have no idea when it's collected. Local seagulls will love ripping up those bin bags later. I'm starting to feel like a really annoying neighbour who has to talk to them all the time BUT feel like the noise, the smell, the rubbish is impacting on mine & DD's life now. I have their landlords number & he said to call if any there are any issues with the new tenants. Should I have a word (again) with them directly or go straight to the landlord? Feel exhausted as have had to talk to them about 3 issues in as many weeks.... But as they are young (and seem a bit clueless) feel maybe one more chat might make them aware of the impact on us?

Lj8893 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:42:49

I would talk to their landlord. I know very few private landlords that would allow their tenants to have a dog, and many landlords insurance policy's don't allow pets.

Fatmomma99 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:43:46

Why don't you invite them round for a cuppa? Then you can say all you want/need to say, but in a relaxed way.

Maybe ask them if there's anything about you. Or (if you're ok with it) if there's anything you can do to support them.

Good luck.

woowoo22 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:44:12

You sound really nice and lovely.

I would probably call the LL but maybe not the best approach. What are they like personality-wise?

GraysAnalogy Tue 28-Jul-15 21:44:43

Straight to the landlord, you've spoken to them so they know what they're doing is impacting your life but aren't changing so it's up to the landlord now

BitchBags Tue 28-Jul-15 21:45:03

Yanbu. I personally would speak to the ll. You have already spoken to them about it so you shouldn't have to again so soon

avocadotoast Tue 28-Jul-15 21:48:57

I'd just ring the landlord. You've already spoken to them about the issues (well, except the dog).

GraysAnalogy Tue 28-Jul-15 21:53:16

'Invite them for a cuppa' grin fatmomma you sound like such a nice person. I wish I could be more like that. I'd personally want to shove the rubbish up their arses not invite them for tea.

Sleepsoftly Tue 28-Jul-15 21:59:14

But as they are young (and seem a bit clueless) feel maybe one more chat might make them aware of the impact on us?

You've done the chatting, its their issue as your thread title says.

In the meantime fatmomma thinks its you, and your problem.

Why don't you invite them round for a cuppa? Then you can say all you want/need to say, but in a relaxed way. Maybe ask them if there's anything about you. Or (if you're ok with it) if there's anything you can do to support them.

I don't agree. As you can tell.

daisyJ123 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:03:38

Woowoo, they seem ok. (Young & their first place together) She's pretty chatty & he seems quite, well, stoned??? Have only met them a few times.
Fatmama I am defo more of an 'invite them for a cuppa' kind of person than a 'ring the landlord' & maybe then they can hear the dog howling below cos they're not in!
I don't want to complain & then to have neighbours who are pissed off with me forever though. Equally, have got my own shit to deal with too though!

daisyJ123 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:04:56

Graysanalogy - thanks for making me laugh my head off.

Hassled Tue 28-Jul-15 22:08:20

Oh call the landlord. I can't imagine they're allowed the dog and they shouldn't be leaving it distressed and alone for 4 hours. We were all young and clueless once but we weren't all shite neighbours.

ghostspirit Tue 28-Jul-15 22:23:12

if the landlord will keep it confidentual then i would defo call him the puffing would drive me mad and its not fair on you and your child

achieve6 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:29:41

I'd ask them again, then if not sorted fast, talk to ll.

lemoncordial Tue 28-Jul-15 22:35:39

I'd also try speaking to them again.

ijustwannadance Tue 28-Jul-15 22:49:44

First a dog and then babies. Worth checking with landlord if pets allowed, not that they'd get rid of it but could break tenancy agreement?

RosePetels Wed 29-Jul-15 01:09:40

Op if the smell is coming through the floorboards and you can hear them they can also hear you. Seems like bad installation. Is this a council property or private?

The5DayChicken Wed 29-Jul-15 01:16:16

Right to the landlord. You've spoken to them about the weed and the dumping crap in the garden and neither was properly resolved. I'd be livid if my flat stank of someone else's weed considering there's a child living here. And the leaving the dog alone all day is cruel.

You can take the softly softly approach and hope they actually fix all 3 issues, but that's not likely as the two you've spoken about have already returned. Or you can nip it in the bud.

daisyJ123 Wed 29-Jul-15 07:16:55

Rosepetels, it's a private property. The smell is unbelievably strong (especially last night) & I'm feeling ready for a chat today!!
Think I'm going to have to 'educate' re the rubbish collection, raise my concerns about the dog & tell them again about the skunk.
Will add at the end that the LL asked me to get in touch if anything was impacting on us & I agreed that I would. Really don't want a 'neighbours feud' over this or any awkwardness because it's our home, but equally, not tolerating their laziness.

TiggerLillies Wed 29-Jul-15 07:34:17

You don't have my ex flatmates living there do you? grin

contractor6 Wed 29-Jul-15 08:14:10

You've asked once and ignored, smoking cannabis is illegal so technically they have broken their contact (most have clause for illegal activities, since I believe the landlord is jointly responsible) the cannabis coming into your flat could be making you paranoid though wink. Ask the ll to say he was passing and heard the dog and saw the rubbish and came to investigate that way you are off the hook?

CalmYourselfTubbs Wed 29-Jul-15 08:17:37

next time they skin up, ring the police.

daisyJ123 Wed 29-Jul-15 08:23:38

I personally would prefer to live above weed smokers than boozy & noisy party animals (they are really quiet apart from the dog that morning) but it's just the strength of the smell! Blood was boiling last night! Yes, maybe I'll ask the LL to 'just be passing'-that's a good idea. Oh god. I feel like their mum!

LurkingHusband Wed 29-Jul-15 08:47:22

Talk to them about ozone generators and carbon filters ...

LumpySpacedPrincess Wed 29-Jul-15 08:53:40

Call the landlord, you had a chat and it didn't work. Ask the landlord not to mention that you rang.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now