To be getting married in 1.5 hours and still haven't picked a name

(45 Posts)
UndecidedWomble Fri 24-Jul-15 09:33:04

I will be getting married this morning. Still haven't decided if I should be:
Mrs Womble (keep my maiden)
Mrs DHname
Mrs Womble-DHname
Something completely new ......

Does it really matter if I haven't chosen yet?

Gem124 Fri 24-Jul-15 09:38:41

Don't be worrying about that today! Just have an amazing day and see how you feel once you've been married a few days. Fwiw I think it's a loving uniting feeling to have the same name. Now get off mumsnet and get some champagne :-)

slkk Fri 24-Jul-15 09:40:56

Try them all out for a while then decide when your passport needs renewing!

AuntyMag10 Fri 24-Jul-15 09:41:12

Happy wedding day! Agree with gem about wanting to share the same name, I took my dh's. However today isn't the day to worry about that, just enjoy!

MaltaVestrit Fri 24-Jul-15 09:41:29

what gem said!

you can change it any time, don't rush the decision if you don't feel ready!

SockQueen Fri 24-Jul-15 09:41:47

Doesn't matter, you don't really have to decide immediately. I have changed my name, and am mostly happy about it, but occasionally miss my old one, even though I hated having it at the time. Have a fantastic day!

KittensOnAPlane Fri 24-Jul-15 09:42:38

I changed mine 2 years after my wedding x

CuttedUpPear Fri 24-Jul-15 09:44:01

Get DH to take yours.
Don't give in to the patriarchy.

PolShelby Fri 24-Jul-15 09:44:14

It doesn't matter, enjoy your day and honeymoon and then decide when you get back! We ended up hyphenating and we both changed ours about 4 weeks after the wedding day.

Hope your day is brilliant! Good luck.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 24-Jul-15 09:44:46

I only changed mine when the dc came along. There's really no rush.

AdeleDazeem Fri 24-Jul-15 09:45:07

flowers happy wedding day Mrs.

Dowser Fri 24-Jul-15 09:45:34

Enjoy your day. You put your old/ usual name on the licence anyway which is odd as its my divorced name.

Have a great day. Congratulations.

Koalafications Fri 24-Jul-15 09:48:11

Enjoy your wedding day. flowers wine

Don't think about what name you will have today. Think about when you have came back from honeymoon (if you are going on one) and have settled into married life.

pinkyredrose Fri 24-Jul-15 09:48:44

You don't have to be Mrs, you can use Miss or Ms. I don't see why any woman these days would take the mans name but it's your decision.

Congrats on your wedding, have a great day!

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Fri 24-Jul-15 09:48:49

I've been married 6 years I still have my maiden name on a couple of bits.. don't worry! Get married and think about it at a later date!

PacificDogwood Fri 24-Jul-15 09:52:38

Congratulations!
Hope you have a great day and very happy married life thanks

I am MrsDHsName for dentists/drs/other appointments, am MrsDouble-Barrelled in my passport (so I share a name with my DCs) and DrMaidenname at work.
I never had to formally decide what my name was to be.

Flingingmelon Fri 24-Jul-15 09:54:15

Congratulations!

I find it quite handy to be Mrs melon on some things and Miss maiden name on others. I am a spy thoughwink

BathtimeFunkster Fri 24-Jul-15 09:56:56

Unless your husband to be is also spending this morning wondering what name he'll use later on today, I wouldn't give it a second's more thought.

Imlookingatboats Fri 24-Jul-15 09:59:28

I suppose a sneaky pic of the dress is out of the question...?

Andrewofgg Fri 24-Jul-15 09:59:34

Have a great day whatever damned name you use!

dixiechick1975 Fri 24-Jul-15 10:01:59

I didn't change for 6 months - did it when we moved house. I use miss and maiden at work and Mrs dh for the rest. Congratulations. lovely sunny day for it too.

ActiviaYoghurt Fri 24-Jul-15 10:03:33

I have my passport in my maiden name still four years later. Have a fantastic day!

UndecidedWomble Fri 24-Jul-15 10:06:40

Thank you all. I will leave the decision (or pick something stupid after having a few glasses of bubbly after grin). Will add a photo of the dress later, it is very un-weddingy dress like though!

ARoseByAnyOther Fri 24-Jul-15 10:07:44

I changed my name on marriage, then changed it back to my original name two years later (still married though!). No decision is permanent - don't stress about it today. smile

TriJo Fri 24-Jul-15 10:07:57

YANBU - I only decided 2 days after my wedding in May that I was going to take my husband's name, and I still have a lot of the name change process to go through. I can't change my passport until after Christmas because my husband already booked our flights back to Ireland in my maiden name.

I'm not changing at work because I work in IT and I know how many things are liable to break if I do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now