To expect carpet fitters to fit the carpet with the sofa in the lounge?

(15 Posts)
IonaNE Thu 23-Jul-15 20:11:40

I'm having a new carpet fitted in the lounge. I can get everything out but the 3-seater sofa, because I'd need to get a couple of friends to lug it out to the spare room; and then, once the carpet is down, get them to come back and lug it in again... I'm thinking, instead I could take all the cushions off the sofa, push the base against one wall, then the guys could fit the carpet in the rest of the room and when they come to that part, we could just lift the thing "over the roll", i.e. to where there is already carpet. But does anyone know whether the carpet fitters would get a heart-attack at the suggestion, or would they okay it? Is this unreasonable? Will they refuse to lay the carpet if the sofa is still in the lounge when they come?

Lovethesea Thu 23-Jul-15 20:13:33

We had carpet laid recently, carpet right had no problem moving up to 5 pieces of empty furniture per room. So books out but they moved the bookcase Etc.

I'm sure the sofa would be fine.

FrancesHouseman Thu 23-Jul-15 20:14:03

No, they should be fine with that. Probably quite grateful that everything else is out of the room.

FenellaFellorick Thu 23-Jul-15 20:15:05

Our fitters tell us to move as much as we can.
it makes it easier for them and its probably a good idea to let them know if theres stuff you cant move but they dont expect everyone to be able to move everything.
what if youre alone, elderly, have a disability which means you cant lug stuff, are pregnant etc etc

IonaNE Thu 23-Jul-15 20:29:21

Great news, thank you for the input. The last two times I had carpet laid I was not at home and there was no furniture at all in the property, so I have no experience as to how it's done when you already have furniture. I appreciate that you've taken the trouble to respond, thanks.

Fugghetaboutit Thu 23-Jul-15 20:31:20

God, this reminded me of a really old thread from when I first joined where a woman had so much beef with a carpet layer over this!! Anyone remember it? I'm sure he left it all or something

ftmsoon Thu 23-Jul-15 20:40:13

We were to be charged £10 for each piece of furniture they would have to move. Fortunately, we had just moved in and none!

BikeRunSki Thu 23-Jul-15 20:45:36

Ask them?

Prelude Thu 23-Jul-15 21:04:17

I remember that thread, it surfaces from time to time with some woman defending her carpet-fitting DH I think grin

OP, we're having this tomorrow and our sofa is also bloody awkward. They've said it's fine to just leave that.

CharleyDavidson Thu 23-Jul-15 21:07:16

I know that we've always been asked to make sure that the room is empty when the fitters come. Both chain places (Carpet right) and the local independent shop's fitters asked this.

But then, when I had moved everything into the dining room and they fitted the living room carpet, the lovely fitters offered to help move the furniture back in for me. I declined, but it was a lovely offer.

Prelude Thu 23-Jul-15 21:08:20

Epic Thread

"There must be a carpet fitter's forum somewhere where they are daring each other to keep reviving this thread"

Fugghetaboutit Thu 23-Jul-15 21:58:56

Yes Prelude! Awesome.

Everybodydancenow Thu 23-Jul-15 23:04:14

I remember that thread! That was an entertaining read.

cocobean2805 Thu 23-Jul-15 23:44:54

We had to pay per piece of furniture. Think it was £10/15. I didn't know this until after I moved a cabinet on my own that it then took two carpet fitters to move back. They did it for free cause they couldn't believe how little old me (9 stone, 5,3) had done it alone. I am woman! Hear me roar! Ha-ha! grin

IonaNE Sat 25-Jul-15 17:02:49

Carpet Right fitter came today (on his own) and "worked around" the 3-seater sofa just as I had imagined (i.e. pushing it around the room and occasionally lifting it over the still-folded-over piece of the carpet) at no additional cost. Thank you again to all who responded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now