To get so moved over unidentified bodies?

(121 Posts)
TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 22:53:57

I recently had cause to check a website which lists unidentified bodies found in the UK. It was for a work project...I don't work for the police though and so I was shocked by it all.

I was especially touched by one woman whose body was found last year...almost a year ago anyway...she was found at the bottom of Beachy Head....it says she jumped.

She's aged 30-40 and nobody has identified her. I must be getting morbid in my old age but I keep checking to see if anyone has identified her and nobody has. sad

I know it's unhealthy for me to think too much about things like this but I so wish I could name her. There are so many others of course but maybe this one touched me because she's similar in age to me. There are sensitive photos of her and though they upset me (they're not gory just sad) I keep looking at her and googling missing people to try to find who she could be.

QOD Wed 22-Jul-15 22:59:23

Yep I've done that a few times. Followed a link on a missing childand ended up getting mesmerised by all the found people
seems even worse somehow that there's little children, dead and unknown.
America seems to have loads sad

NiceAcorns Wed 22-Jul-15 23:00:31

I would feel the same.

Can you link to the website? Someone here might know her

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 23:03:29

don't look if you're upset by images of dead people

Although the images aren't gory, they are very sad and a bit disturbing.

QOD I can imagine the US has a lot more of this sort of thing. I hate it...I hate that some people are sort of lost.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-Jul-15 23:05:55

I know it sounds weird but it's nice in a way that you feel like this. Someone is mourning her IYSWIM. Someone remembers her, even if it is for a very sad reason.

HemanOrSheRa Wed 22-Jul-15 23:09:13

I feel the same. They are someone's child. It's very sad sad.

QOD Wed 22-Jul-15 23:10:49

Omg smile one of the American 13 to 17 yr Olds found dead in 1979 was identified this year. That makes my day

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 23:11:06

MrsTerry I think that's a nice way of looking at it. I can't understand how in the UK, a woman of this age can not be identified though.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 22-Jul-15 23:15:32

That's just so sad.

sad

makes you wonder if she really had no one or whether some massive communication error has meant that any girlfriend/boyfriend/parent has no idea and is still holding out hope she turns up one day.

It's so tragic.

no one's given her a "send off"

and people are living in limbo waiting fir news

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 22-Jul-15 23:15:37

I work in homelessness. I can believe it sad Some people have no one.

NeedsMoreCowBell Wed 22-Jul-15 23:17:22

Wholeheartedly agree with MrsTerryPratchett

OP, the fact you care is lovely.
You've also made the rest of us take a minute to think about her, whoever she was.
Thank you

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 23:17:59

Giles that's what I thought...or that she's not from the UK originally...or that she was pushed and they're not looking for who did it because there's no evidence. sad

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 22-Jul-15 23:19:43

It is very sad.

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 23:19:59

CowBell well I am glad we're all thinking of her too. x

NeedsMoreCowBell Wed 22-Jul-15 23:21:38

I volunteer with homeless shelters and there is one young man on the streets local to me who has just disappeared sad

There is a small chance he's moved on but he was fading and slipping away.
I can only hope he is safe.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 22-Jul-15 23:22:38

yy there was a bag so why no phone?

The possibilities are endless sad

so sad that for whatever reason she can't be identified.
We can send people to the moon and to previously unseen depths of the ocean. but somehow someone's daughter/sister/wife/cousin can't be identified.

and if she was suicidal the idea she had no one who would even notice she was gone is beyond sad.sad

SavoyCabbage Wed 22-Jul-15 23:25:15

I think it can be very sad and moving when you come across something like this and you realise that there are all these things going on that don't get into the press.

PinkSquash Wed 22-Jul-15 23:26:57

I am adamant that someone will know who she is, even if they don't know she is deceased. I can't look at the link tonight, but I do send my thoughts to all those who have died and remain unidentified and hope that they are identified and given a correct burial/etc.

Web pages like this shouldn't happen, they should be identified. sad

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 23:28:05

I can't even find mention in press from last year Savoy which is odd isn't it?

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 23:31:09

Pink I know. I think it's incredibly sad.

CheeseBored Wed 22-Jul-15 23:37:17

It is very sad sad

Does anyone know how what happens to the remains of these people? There must be some kind of funeral, but what, and when, and who does it, and what do they say??

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 22-Jul-15 23:42:40

Cheese I believe they store them when they can or they take DNA and cremate them.

QOD Wed 22-Jul-15 23:50:19

Ugh. Still so many

TheHouseOnBellSt Thu 23-Jul-15 00:15:12

She couldn;t be Charlene Downes could she? She was 14 when she went missing in 2003 so she would be around 27-28 when this woman was found in 2014...the age of the unidentified woman is listed as between 30 and 40...it's hard for them to age people accurately and sometimes they're as much as ten years out....

I am probably wrong but well...

AnyoneForTennis Thu 23-Jul-15 01:05:07

So many. And the males, so many suicides. Really sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now