To ask for a ruling on what goes on top of a key lime pie?

(33 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sat 18-Jul-15 13:58:01

Prompted by a shit version I bought in Waitrose yesterday, which is topped off with a vapid plasticky lime mousse and the actual lime filling is only about a centimetre thick. Rubbish.

I thought it was either naked, or had meringue topping. Having Wiki'd it, they say whipped cream?

TheDietStartsTomorrow Sat 18-Jul-15 13:59:38

Meringue topped, definitely.

GatoradeMeBitch Sat 18-Jul-15 14:01:07

Nigella's version appears to be naked.

HopOnTheMonnerBus Sat 18-Jul-15 14:07:32

Meringue please, and lots of whipped cream.

Then a second helping.

SwedishEdith Sat 18-Jul-15 14:13:01

Googled and it's condensed milk with lime and eggs {http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/proper-key-lime-pie/#ZqiJ5o8bHIGyQviz.97 like this?]]

hennybeans Sat 18-Jul-15 14:24:33

I make key line pie all the time. Has to be thick layer of the actual pie stuff- condensed milk, egg, lime etc. Topped by whipped cream. Only lemon
meringue pies have meringue.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 18-Jul-15 14:27:03

No meringue. Whipped cream if you must, but bare is better.

SwedishEdith Sat 18-Jul-15 14:28:22

Link again

BeachyKeen Sat 18-Jul-15 14:28:38

whipped cream, and possible toasted coconut flakes

CigarsofthePharoahs Sat 18-Jul-15 14:46:38

Italian meringue, in the version I make.
It's got to have a thick layer of the lime filling though.

CurlsLDN Sat 18-Jul-15 14:53:45

Ate a lot of it on key West on honeymoon, most of the time it was naked, or a bit of whipped cream.
We also ate entire slices of it, on a stick, dipped in chocolate and frozen. Now that was sickly

eaiand2 Sat 18-Jul-15 14:54:52

The pie itself is naked, but served with a dollop of whipped cream on top of each individual slice!

CurlsLDN Sat 18-Jul-15 14:56:27

This guy seems to be the king of key lime pie, and he does mostly bare with a squirt of cream round the edge www.keylimeshop.com/

ShuShuFontana Sat 18-Jul-15 14:56:41

it's one of these American cream pie family members, so I my mind I'd expect a base of some sort, maybe pastry or buttery biscuit base. Then a limey dense-ish filling, possibly cheesecakey or maybe more lime curd egg based and then most definitely a great big whoosh cloud of whipped cream on the top

i'd have candied lime peel shards and curls of grated chocolate too and maybe a lime syrup drizzle too.

BreconBeBuggered Sat 18-Jul-15 14:58:38

A few bits of lime zest on the top and that's your lot. Certainly no meringue - the very idea.

It doesn't last long enough to make an unbiased judgement anyway.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 18-Jul-15 15:02:39

I'm on holiday in the keys at the moment, I will sacrifice an extra inch of waist line to let you know. I had a frozen one the other night, dipped in chocolate which was yummy, if a bit sickly per the previous poster. We're leaving today but I will try to get in a final slice!

Totality22 Sat 18-Jul-15 15:14:45

Key Lime Pie is my absolute favourite dessert although I mainly buy- from M&S - and don't make it often

No meringue at all.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 18-Jul-15 15:55:45

Greaterthan, that is a very noble offer, thank you grin

I've made it before - no topping. I mistook last night's topping for meringue, thought I'd give it a go, but guessing it cuts away the sharpness of the lime somewhat?

FruChristerOla Sat 18-Jul-15 15:58:02

I found a great recipe for key lime pie here on MN. Will try to find it for you.

FruChristerOla Sat 18-Jul-15 16:01:31

Ah - there are two here www.mumsnet.com/food/advanced-search/q?keyword=key+lime+pie&rating=0

TheWintersmith Sat 18-Jul-15 16:09:41

More pie

Is the best topping

Euphemia Sat 18-Jul-15 16:17:40

I'm having a fantasy of eating Key Lime Pie, naked, in Florida. With something dipped in chocolate.

I think I may have picked this up wrongly. blush

PurpleDaisies Sat 18-Jul-15 16:17:44

www.firstsearch.co.nz/chocolate-key-lime-pie.html

This one by Nigella is lovely-it had dark chocolate in the biscuit base and a dusting of cocoa and lime zest on top. I serve it with pouring cream for those who want it but I prefer mine without.

PurpleDaisies Sat 18-Jul-15 16:19:02

I suppose technically mine is a Tesco lime pie because they don't come from the Florida Keys.

noeffingidea Sat 18-Jul-15 16:26:26

Ina Garten puts cream (of course) and lime slices on hers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now