is it unreasonable for DC to make own way to and from school?

(40 Posts)
roastedlemon Wed 15-Jul-15 11:56:56

Will be in year 4 next year - eight and a half, sensible, mature, school is local and without busy roads.

It would certainly make life easier.

What do other parents do?

hellsbellsmelons Wed 15-Jul-15 11:59:42

It would depend how far they had to walk and if it was a busy route with other people?

Stillwishihadabs Wed 15-Jul-15 12:00:36

Looking with interest planning on doing the same (but on the bus :0)

Sirzy Wed 15-Jul-15 12:00:42

Do the school have a policy? Some won't let children below a certain age leave without an adult

chrome100 Wed 15-Jul-15 12:00:45

I would. He's 8, not a baby any more.

roastedlemon Wed 15-Jul-15 12:12:07

School policy appears to be infants need to be collected but not juniors.

muminhants1 Wed 15-Jul-15 12:19:59

I'd take him, so you know he's got there safely, but let him walk back.

RachelRagged Wed 15-Jul-15 12:20:46

Yes do it even if you do what I done at first which was discreetly follow grin

Lurkedforever1 Wed 15-Jul-15 12:21:31

Depends entirely on route and how responsible they are. At 7 dd was going to the local shop, some friends houses etc and if school was that easy to get to I'd have been happy with that too, but her school route and distance meant she was 10 mid y5 when she started going to/ from school alone. Except for after school club or similar where they need signing out. My only rule is that she had to text and wait for the reply when she was arriving or leaving. At 7 she didn't have a phone so it was her job to ask friends mum to text me. So I'd allow it if at 8 you can find them an old phone to confirm they've arrived if the route is safe

NightLark Wed 15-Jul-15 12:25:11

I've noticed a trend for the Y4s at my DCs school to make their own way there and back over the final half term of this year. It would have been unusual at the start of Y4, but there are a fair few of them doing it now.

roastedlemon Wed 15-Jul-15 12:26:44

He has a phone so should be fine - I just don't want him to be the only one at school arriving without a parent blush smile

HearTheThunderRoar Wed 15-Jul-15 12:27:30

Yep DD was walking to and from school at the age of 8, about a 10 minuet walk, mind you this was in a small country town with no busy roads etc

MarkRuffaloCrumble Wed 15-Jul-15 12:32:42

I think it's more about whether he is comfortable doing it.

My DS is 10 and does sometimes walk home on his own after clubs etc. On the odd morning he and DD (8) will walk themselves but they do make a big song and dance about it and make me feel really guilty! I know they are old enough and sensible enough, there is only one road to cross, which is just outside school, so everyone is driving very slowly and aware of kids around.

I have said next year when DS is year 6 and DD year 4 they can walk themselves, then DD will be walking by herself in year 5 when DS goes up to secondary (probably with a friend).

It's important that they start to make these little breaks away from you at this age - it's a very controlled tester of independence with specific leaving/arriving times and people expecting him at both ends, so it's about as safe as it can be to send him out on his own for a bit.

saresywaresy2 Wed 15-Jul-15 12:33:51

mine has done it from year 3, it helps that there a big bunch of kids for him to walk with

Bonsoir Wed 15-Jul-15 12:36:08

Y4 is about right for getting to and from school alone, distance and traffic permitting.

roastedlemon Wed 15-Jul-15 12:36:15

I was walking to and from school aged seven alone but that was in the 80s/90s and obviously things have changed.

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 15-Jul-15 12:36:52

At DS2's school its year five but you have to sign a disclaimer form to acknowlegde that they're allowed to leave school premises without adult handover.

Yr 4's are allowed to be dropped off outside school (so I guess could walk) in the morning but year 3's need to be seen in by an adult.

Child dependant but my yr4 DS is probably sensible enough.

Glitoris Wed 15-Jul-15 12:38:14

I think it would be ok some of the time,but it is helpful (as a parent) to show your face at school.It keeps you in the loop,so to speak,with other parents/teachers if they actually know who you are.You never know when you might need that...whether it's to ask a favour,or for other parents to be able to approach you about something you might need to know.

I think you as a parent would very quickly become anonymous if you aren't around at all.While that could sound tempting grin,it's probably a tad removed for a child as young as 8.

NickiFury Wed 15-Jul-15 12:39:53

At out school, they're not allowed to below year 5 and to be honest I wouldn't anyway, even if it meant dropping her and not coming in, she's still too young IMO.

roastedlemon Wed 15-Jul-15 12:40:30

I'll be starting work soon so will be anonymous anyway smile

AnnPerkins Wed 15-Jul-15 12:41:44

DS's school's policy is that only year 4 pupils can walk to and from school on their own, and only in the summer term. Parents have to sign a form giving permission.

It's a lower school so they are in their final year before middle school.

roastedlemon Wed 15-Jul-15 12:43:00

What do parents who have to work do - does everyone have to have a childminder?

SignoraStronza Wed 15-Jul-15 12:43:58

Dd been going with a friend since year 3. Her mum and I take turns to get them over the busy road at the end of ours and they make their own way for the rest of it (no roads to cross and a quiet village).

We do pick them up though.

Glitoris Wed 15-Jul-15 12:45:12

At 8,yes,most children of working parents have a childminder/responsible adult.Who will be minding him when he gets home after school??

roastedlemon Wed 15-Jul-15 12:46:48

This hasn't been sorted yet.

He would only be in for about half an hour to an hour max two days a week. I don't know if it's unreasonable to let him have an hour alone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now