AIBU to feel harassed by charities in my town?

(37 Posts)
LaRiojaAlta Tue 14-Jul-15 13:27:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spartans Tue 14-Jul-15 13:32:49

It's so bad in our city centre, I avoid going. As do a lot of other people. The centre is quite small and you cant avoid them. 3 weeks ago I went in and we counted 9 in 15 mins. We were just walking from the car park to the shop we wanted. 3 of them were the same charity.

I really hate the lines they try and drag you with 'do you want to help abused children?' Because no one wants to say 'no actually'.

Spartans Tue 14-Jul-15 13:34:04

Oh and most of the small business owners don't like it either. It's definitley putting people off going into these towns and cities

DadfromUncle Tue 14-Jul-15 13:37:34

I am going straight to hell, because if asked "would you like to help <insert name of most deserving cause imaginable>" I just say "No" and walk off.

I refuse to support any charity that would be using my donations to pay for these chuggers.

I think the worm may be turning though....

YANBU OP

CakeLady1 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:40:03

I succumbed to one of these for Marie Curie - it's a good cause but when I signed the paperwork I saw just how much MC had to pay this company for doing their fundraising! It was a phenomenal amount!
I do have a stock answer of 'sorry, I already donate to other charities' but yes, they do try to guilt you and it's not very fair of them.
What I detest the most is once they sign you up, they'll keep calling asking you to increase your donation amount.
YANBU

PageNotFound404 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:43:35

Some towns have imposed restrictions on the days or amount of hours that street collectors can fundraise, following complaints from members of the public. Perhaps contact your local council or Chamber of Commerce, OP, to raise your concerns.

MissMooMoo Tue 14-Jul-15 13:50:40

yanbu it really annoys me too.
I think that if I want to support a charity ill go online and read up and donate myself.

Letmegetanamechange Tue 14-Jul-15 13:51:31

I hate this, I try and avoid the charity people on our high street at all costs. Otherwise I just breeze past and say "sorry I haven't got time" with a smile.

DP is rubbish though, he's far too polite and gets suckered in! He opened a credit card a couple of months back because he was too polite to the people bugging him! Needless to say I was furious and made him call and cancel it.

He also had a lady on the phone yesterday from a charity who was trying to get him to donate monthly (he'd done so for a few years before cancelling when we found out about DD's imminent arrival!) No matter how many times he tried to politely say no she kept on going and going until he hung up confused

If it were me I would have told her to bugger off "no is a complete sentence!" and hung up!

Spartans Tue 14-Jul-15 13:55:51

dad dh says no too or 'no not by giving money to you'

I also hate the ones who think they can drag you on with their dynamic personality.

I usually find glaring at them before they open their mouths works quite well.

A few years ago one tried 'ohh lovely handbag....if you can afford that you can afford to give some money to sad dogs' I told this one that they were rude and to go away!

Disclaimer.....it wasn't sad dogs charity, I just can't recall whoch charity or was

DamsonInDistress Tue 14-Jul-15 13:57:58

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just ignore them totally. I'm going to hell too then I expect.

swooosh Tue 14-Jul-15 13:59:32

I tell them I already donate to that charity I don't that's awful isn't it but they seem so pleased blush

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 14-Jul-15 13:59:55

Well charities are currently being investigated following the Daily Mail (sorry!) exposé about how harassing their telephone cold callers have been. Somehow this needs to extend to the chuggers as well as the telephone callers. I find them intimidating, we get so many you have to plot your course through them and then heads down, walk as fast as possible.

curlyclaz13 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:59:56

Our town had loads about a year ago, we still have them but not as many. Usually one charity at a time. My stock answer is' I already donate to you' this works for energy/tv/broadband suppliers too. (Obviously change donate to use)

VacantExpression Tue 14-Jul-15 14:02:03

I had that the other week, I was carrying a carrier bag from a posh shop and the chugger said "oh if you can afford to shop there..." actually I can't I just really like the bag so use it all the time

DoesItReallyMatter Tue 14-Jul-15 14:04:45

Everyone should complain to the charities involved. (Making sure you tell them that they mustn't retain your information for spamming marketing)

Each time you are bothered you should send a quick email telling them why you object.

Hemlockinthegarden Tue 14-Jul-15 14:04:54

I feel harassed at Christmas time, when the local Lions/Rotary whatever set up shop outside the supermarket.

Its mostly women who bear the brunt of xmas vittles shopping. Why can't those smug men set up shop outside the local golf or rugby club and harass the people who do have the most money.

CaveMum Tue 14-Jul-15 14:07:34

If they are standing right outside shop entrances they are breaking the Law. According to this BBC article they are not allowed within 3 metres of an entrance/cash machine/pedestrian crossing.

Janeymoo50 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:11:34

I hate them too, in our large town centre that I need to walk up and down the High Street of to get to and from the station to work and pass at lunchtime to go anywhere, I have to dodge the line of "Chuggers". I however never deviate from my route and I always make eye contact but with what I call my disapproving look on my face (this look can scare people believe me). I get that there trying to raise money but if I want to enter into a personal, financial arrangement with a charity involving getting out my debit card and giving highly personal information, then the middle of the high street in the pouring rain is not the place I'll do it. One day I got stopped by the CPL (a charity I actually think highly of). I explained politely that I actually volunteer for the Celia Hammond Animal Trust and was met by a blank look and "who, never heard of them", I understand that it's a small charity but would hope that anyone involved in any kind of cat welfare in south east London (they do low cost neutering/treatment etc) would know of CHAT. I simply say no thanks, not interested and keep walking.

ActiviaYoghurt Tue 14-Jul-15 14:19:40

Walk around wearing earphones? it works for me, I am not listening to any music but I pretend to be.

littlepeas Tue 14-Jul-15 14:22:21

I just breeze past saying 'I won't be stopping' if they manage to make eye contact with me, most don't as I very deliberately look away! I support two particular charities that matter a lot to me and don't deviate from them. I am always happy to put some change into a bucket, but that doesn't seem to be enough for most charities these days.

scarlets Tue 14-Jul-15 15:04:43

A complaint on Twitter or Facebook is useful, especially if you have lots of followers/friends who are likely to retweet/comment in support.

Don't avoid town. That just hurts the businesses, and inconveniences you. Ignore the pests.

MrsRossPoldark Tue 14-Jul-15 15:17:25

Me too! We have a pedestrian area with a cross-roads at the top of town. Last weekend there was one in the middle of the 'junction' & one at each exit! All from same charity! These was no escape!

U2HasTheEdge Tue 14-Jul-15 15:19:13

I went shopping today. Four people stopped me asking me to sign up to a charity in the space of 5 minutes.

I hate it and dread it every time I go. I try not to make eye contact with them or practice my resting bitch face.

MrsRossPoldark Tue 14-Jul-15 15:19:36

Spartans: I'd have told them I'd bought my handbag at a charity shop!

KatieScarlettreregged Tue 14-Jul-15 15:24:45

One young man tried the guilt trip thing with me too. I said "guilt tripping... by a chugger... reeeeally?" with head tilt then walked off.
Hate them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now