Kitchen Nightmare!

(45 Posts)
Help2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 00:06:18

I recently purchased a Schuller kitchen through one of their suppliers in the UK. The suppliers do not have a showroom. They apparently rely on word of mouth and have a website.

Before placing the order I asked what the kitchen cabinets were made off and this is the reply i received, 'The doors are high density MDF and the carcasses are 16mm thick MDF. The front is gloss laminate'.

I have this in an email from the supplier.

The doors are indeed high density MDF and the carcasses are 16mm however, the carcasses are chipboard not high density MDF like stated.

I placed the order thinking the carcasses were high density MDF and they weren't. I have been lied to and im not particularly happy about it. The kitchen has been fitted by an independent kitchen fitter.

Furthermore, when the kitchen arrived from Germany one of the wall units was the wrong size and this delayed the fit and has cost me extra money because I had to call back the kitchen fitter, electrician and plumber the following week to finish off the install.

The original plans showed what size the wall unit should have been and the supplier even confirmed the size of this particular wall unit via email. However, they still sent out the wrong size. He's now blaming me but is willing to get it changed because i still owe him money.

I have so far paid just over £4000 for the kitchen. I still owe just over £3000. It would be cheaper for him to replace the wall unit at a cost to him rather than enter in to a civil dispute with me. He know's im thinking about not paying the outstanding balance.

In a nutshell I have been lied to about what the carcasses are made off, I have received rubbish customer service and i have had to pay extra monies to tradesmen because of the kitchen suppliers incompetence. I haven't signed any contract with the kitchen supplier. I have not received anything through the post or email about terms and conditions (i did ask).

I am now thinking about not paying the outstanding balance. I believe I have already paid what the kitchen is worth and due to the other issues highlighted above believe i am well within my rights. I know it's a civil dispute. But because I haven't signed any contract or agreed to any terms and conditions (there are none on the suppliers website either) does the supplier have a leg to stand on if he takes me to a small claims court?

Would he bother - bearing in mind the time, money, effort and potential harm it could do to his reputation?

I haven't spoken to him at length yet because im still considering my options. I will also be contacting the citizens advice bureau for advice.
What do people think?

Thanks in advance.

BackInTheRealWorld Tue 07-Jul-15 00:08:40

My current kitchen nightmare is my massive slug invasion. Can we swap nightmares please?

Garlick Tue 07-Jul-15 01:04:45

The carcasses are always chipboard.

Help2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 05:57:08

Anyone know the answers to my questions please?

Flisspaps Tue 07-Jul-15 06:04:18

Sounds fairly standard for a kitchen fitting grin

I found a green and yellow slug getting in through the sink overflow once, dirty little bastards. I hate slugs.

paxtecum Tue 07-Jul-15 06:08:23

Has it cost you £3,000 in extra fees to the fitter, electrician and plumber?
I suspect not.

You sound as though you are looking for a way to get a £4k kitchen for £1k.

Does it make any difference to the look and strength of the units whether they are made of chipboard or MDF?

Sorry, but you sound mean and dishonest.
I do try not to be harsh but really?

paxtecum Tue 07-Jul-15 06:12:10

Did the kitchen supplier not offer to arrange fitting the kitchen?
Did you have to find your own kitchen fitter, electrician etc?

Only1scoop Tue 07-Jul-15 06:18:39

Sounds like an attempt to just get a few grand off you kitchen.

MokunMokun Tue 07-Jul-15 06:24:33

It does all sound slightly hysterical. They have offered to send the correct size of cabinet so that is fine. I don't really see the problem.

Only1scoop Tue 07-Jul-15 06:25:24

Also.... if original size is printed on invoice then how can they blame you for sending the wrong one?

Teabagbeforemilk Tue 07-Jul-15 06:27:20

I don't see how you can not pay the other 3k. if it has left you out of pocket then I would be asking him to knock that off the total bill.

So if the fact that the incorrect sizing has caused your fitter £500 more work, then tell him you think it should knocked off you £3k .

I am confused though, you say you had to call back the fitter, plumber etc but still want him to replace the cabinet. Has the incorrect cabinet been fitted yett or not?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 07-Jul-15 06:39:30

I don't think you would get away with not paying for 40% of the kitchen. I suspect you would be better off negotiating a discount, 10% for instance, with the supplier. Plus any extra money incurred. I would approach in like this: Herr Kitchen Man, the kitchen delivered is not the quality I was lead to believe. I would like to come to an agreement that is satisfactory for us both, let's say a 10% discount, so I will pay £6300 for my £7000 kitchen. Plus the extra expenses have amounted to £500 which I think you should pay for, therefore I will pay you £5,800 of which I have already given you £4,000. see how you get on...

paxtecum Tue 07-Jul-15 06:40:28

Actually, reading it again, I 'm confused too?
So one of the units was the wrong size and still is the wrong size?
Why did the workmen come back the following week?

paxtecum Tue 07-Jul-15 06:42:12

Although you haven't signed a contract you have entered a contract verbally.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 07-Jul-15 06:53:22

I think teenagemutant has the right sort of approach.

You do have a contract with them.

Thistledew Tue 07-Jul-15 07:25:57

Did you speak to the supplier immediately that you realised the carcass was the wrong material? And give them a chance to replace them? If not, and you simply went ahead with the installation then a court would be likely to take the view that you had accepted a variation in the contract.

You may be able to claim for your extra cost incurred as a result of the wrong sized unit being delivered, but any further reductions would be on a good will basis.

paxtecum Tue 07-Jul-15 08:51:13

Do you seriously think that the kitchen is only worth �1,000, ie 75% less than charged, because the carcasses are chipboard rather than MDF?

I think you are sucking the joy out of having a lovely new kitchen, that looks from the outside identical to what you ordered.

AnulTheMagnificent Tue 07-Jul-15 09:01:27

Why did you have the kitchen fitted if it was not what you ordered? By having it fitted you accepted it so I don't see how you can justify refusing to pay any part of the balance.

You might be able to negotiate a discount or partial refund for the inconvenience of the one wrong part but trying to get an almost free kitchen is just not right when you or your workmen should have examined the items on arrival and ascertained what they were made of.

Help2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 09:02:30

The total cost of the kitchen is £7680. I have just over £3000 left to pay. My builder had to move and chase some pipes in to the wall to accommodate the wrong sized wall unit. I didn't want it replacing because it will take 4 - 6 weeks to arrive. That will delay my kitchen even further.
The carcasses are chipboard. I was told they would be MDF. It's a matter of principal.
Because of the extra time it's taken to chase and move pipes the kitchen fitter, electrician have had to come back on another date to do their work. They will charge me accordingly. The builder is charging me extra for moving pipes etc.
I don't think I should have to pay the full cost of the kitchen as a result. Would It be reasonable to pass those costs on to the supplier and negotiate a further discount because he lied to me about what the carcasses were made off.

LazyLouLou Tue 07-Jul-15 09:03:51

'The doors are high density MDF and the carcasses are 16mm thick MDF. The front is gloss laminate'.

That does not say that the carcasses are high density MDF...

So your complaint should be that you have particleboard not fibreboard carcasses...

For that you have a point to take up with the supplier.

As far as the wrong size cupboard, if you have the emails and they are crystal clear, you have a point to take up with whoever it was you confirmed the size with (not all that clear in your OP).

Yes, you can retain a portion of the cost, to paid upon satisfactory completion... check how to do this properly with CAB.

LazyLouLou Tue 07-Jul-15 09:05:32

Would It be reasonable to pass those costs on to the supplier and negotiate a further discount because he lied to me about what the carcasses were made off.

Negotiation would be a good thing, but do contact CAB or Martin Lewis website, and make sure you are on a strong footing.

DorisLessingsCat Tue 07-Jul-15 09:07:45

The carcasses are chipboard. I was told they would be MDF. It's a matter of principal.

It's not clear from your OP when you were told that the carcasses were chipboard. If you could still have cancelled the order by then you can't bitch about it now.

Principal means nothing really, once you accepted the kitchen you accepted it.

What were the extra costs you incurred? It seems reasonable to ask the supplier to knock those off the final bill but you will have to evidence them.

Pancakeflipper Tue 07-Jul-15 09:08:12

Did he tell a lie on purpose or make a mistake?

Would you have not ordered at all if they'd chipboard initially?

I think you could ask about covering costs for the alterations and the work needed but as they offered you a solution I doubt you'd get full costs.

As for the chipboard - doubt you'll get anywhere with that.

Sounds like you are fucked off with the entire experience of the kitchen e experience.

OhEmGeee Tue 07-Jul-15 09:09:13

Why have you paid extra for the tradesman. My kitchen fitter had to come back to refit a unit but I haven't paid him any extra.

Who is blaming you? The supplier? Why?

OhEmGeee Tue 07-Jul-15 09:15:56

Surely it was your choice to keep the wrong sized unit and incur whatever costs that involved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now