counting weeks and then months

(14 Posts)
Starbrite00 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:07:03

Does anyone find this really annoying?
I have two daughters.
When they were first born you obviously when asked give their age in days or weeks, then when weeks turn in to 30 + you generally give the months they are.
What I really find laughable is when people are asked their childs age say oh she/he is 27 months!!!. No dear your child is 2.
I think once the child has gone through milestones to say 2 years what is the actual point in giving your Childs age in months?
Feel like replying, oh my oldest is 108 months old, dont they grow fast hmm

AuntyMag10 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:09:49

Yanbu it sounds so stupid when people do this.

Zzzsnatcher Mon 06-Jul-15 14:10:27

Yea I do!
I say just turned 3, or 3 and a half, or nearly4. Depending on where they are in relation to their fourth birthday, for example.

DearHound Mon 06-Jul-15 14:13:46

Yanbu, but I never did this when they were little either.... They were always just under 1, or nearly 2.

DisappointedOne Mon 06-Jul-15 14:15:17

There's a massive difference between a child that's just turned 2 and one that's turning 3 next week. So I don't think just saying "they're 2" is enough, really.

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 06-Jul-15 14:17:03

I have a friend whose child is currently 36 months old. Yes it' odd.

I always round kids age up or down. Ds is 4 (really 4 and a half) and ds has been 11 for at least 5 months (she is actually 11 next week) most people don't need/want to know exactly

cardibach Mon 06-Jul-15 14:19:02

Depends on the context, Disappointed . In a medical covers atop you might want to be more precise, but in casual conversation 2 or almost 3 would be sufficient. I think that's what the OP is talking about.

cardibach Mon 06-Jul-15 14:20:20

Covers atop? Conversation!

Hissy Mon 06-Jul-15 14:21:42

couldn't agree more OP!

No excuse for it. idiotic, and needless.

IMO it's weeks until it gets to 3m and then it's months until 1 year.

18 months is the next marker then 2 years. (use of the words almost/nearly etc are applicable here)

then it goes in half years as and when appropriate.

AuntyMag10 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:21:53

Agree with cardi. Unless it's important to know the exact age, most people don't really care.

SlinkyB Mon 06-Jul-15 14:21:56

I find it odd sometimes too, when it's just in casual conversation with a stranger. I try not to smirk when they say things like "she's 28 months".

I tend to say "he was three in January" if I think the person asking might want to know roughly when they turned their current age.

BackforGood Mon 06-Jul-15 14:26:30

Depends on the context. For me (when I ask about dc for my job) then it is very, very important if they are 25months or 35 months - makes a HUGE difference developmentally. If I were chatting to a stranger in the park though, then it's less important.

Starbrite00 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:33:25

Backforgood...im talking about general chat.
When you go to a health professional you still don't give months you state their date of birth and the health professional should have the records anyway.

humanstain Mon 06-Jul-15 14:39:48

My ds is just over 5 months. Have no idea how many weeks that is confused blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now