To think it should be acknowledged

(12 Posts)
Pickledbbq Sun 05-Jul-15 17:36:27

So, local secondary in SM. has been in trouble for some time.

I went to an event hosted by the school to have a look round as I know ofsted aren't always reliable. Anyway the whole thing was completely skimmed over. Just look at amazing facilities and look at shiny displays!

AIBU to think they should have explained why they went into SM and what they're doing to get out! As a parent it wasn't very reassuring.

LIZS Sun 05-Jul-15 17:38:06

Did you ask?

Pickledbbq Sun 05-Jul-15 17:39:38

Yes I did and it was very much ignored - the attitude was yes that was a shame but our staff are working hard and look here, we have a swimming pool.

wheresthelight Sun 05-Jul-15 17:40:18

They are promoting the positives which is exactly what they are supposed to do.

You are hardly going to walk in to show off your kid and then spend the whole time talking about their negative points re you?

Go online and read the ofsted report of you want the details

Pickledbbq Sun 05-Jul-15 17:41:34

I have but what I expect the school to do is explain how they will address these weaknesses.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Sun 05-Jul-15 17:43:25

Write to them and ask.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Sun 05-Jul-15 18:07:35

How long in special measures?

Sounds like they wanted to promote the good things they're doing and not be apologetic about what's happened.

Onwards and upwards!

If you've specific questions, you should have asked.

chewymeringue Sun 05-Jul-15 18:27:26

I know what you mean. Dd's high school went into SM just before she was due to start last year. At the new parent's evening their HT gave an incredibly detailed and impassioned speech about how it happened and how the school was sorting it. Even parents who were worried before the meeting were very impressed and reassured. I have to say so far so good. The school have been absolutely amazing.

Outwith Sun 05-Jul-15 18:40:29

I understand what you're saying too. We were in a similar situation with two primary schools; the head teacher of one school (troubled past, currently rated Good) spoke about it at length, but the head teacher of the other (recently downgraded to Requires Improvement) didn't even mention it confused.

ASettlerOfCatan Sun 05-Jul-15 19:44:54

The primary my kids are in was in special measures. Just a few short years later it is stronger than ever and I've always been happy with it. They were very open about the whys and the what they are doings. I hate anywhere that just tries to distract you with shiny things.

Icimoi Sun 05-Jul-15 19:48:13

I agree, it's ridiculous to ignore the issue. If they're half awake they should know that it's the main issue prospective parents want to hear about, and they will get much more respect if they deal with it rather than ignore it.

Teabagbeforemilk Sun 05-Jul-15 19:58:38

YANBU, DD is moving to secondary this september.

The schools gcse results were a little lower last year than usual and they went to great lengths to explain why that was and what they were doing to improve it. It was literally a a couple of percent (and still impressive), but we were impressed how dedicated they were to get back up.

DD got into this school on appeal. The school she got has been put in special measures (this isn't the reason we appealed) and when we went to look at it they wouldn't discuss except to say ofsted don't like them. No plan or anything. This school has been threatened with closure and the impression I got from staff was that they expected it be closed.

Yes show a schools positives. But acknowledge the failings and have a plan in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now