To be scared of a swimming pool

(6 Posts)
Leafitout Thu 02-Jul-15 18:49:28

I can't swim and I'm thinking of taking lessons but I'm afraid of the pool. I feel embarrassed at my age that I'm still scared. Thinking is as about as far as it gets, doing it is a whole different thing!

AndThisIsTrue Thu 02-Jul-15 18:50:48

If you are BU then so am I. I haven't ever taken DS swimming because I am too scared to go in the pool. No advice but sympathy!

Teabagbeforemilk Thu 02-Jul-15 18:54:03

In a way Yabu, but that also make me unreasonable as I am scared of flying. Most fear are unreasonable, but doesn't make them any easier to get over.

Some places that run swimming lessons also run groups for people who are scared of the water. Try and see of there is one near you?

Does your phobia come from a real experience? Has something happened around water that scares you?

fattymcfatfat Thu 02-Jul-15 18:54:46

Are you me?
I feel the same. I don't know why, as I could swim during school lessons but when it came time to get the certificate I panicked and I've been petrified since. I even went with my mum who said I swam for ages, then realised I was swimming, panicked and went under

I cant help it. I'm just petrified of drowning, so end up freezing when swimming causing me to drown (well go under the water and forget how to swim) which just reinforces my fear!

Leafitout Thu 02-Jul-15 18:55:17

It's fear that grips me, I can't even doggy paddle. I know how you feel as I don't go in the pool with my ds.

bruffin Thu 02-Jul-15 19:01:18

My pool has some lovely teachers who have got adults who were scared to put face into water to swimming lengths face down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now