To really watch my 3 year old weight.

(13 Posts)
Purplesky2 Wed 01-Jul-15 11:45:07

She is 3.9 do nearly 4 but is 109cm tall and 19.3kg. She looks solids and although not yet overweight looks well padded compared to other children her height. Dh is not worried and says other kids her height are older and have lost their toddler padding where as she is still loosing it. I am watching her like a hawk with her intake but I work and sometimes DH feeds her.

gingerchick Wed 01-Jul-15 11:50:19

Yabu she is a growing child and isn't overweight according to bmi- chill!

Fudgeface123 Wed 01-Jul-15 11:52:01

OMG, DH feeds her? Seriously she's only (nearly) 4, she's got a LOT of growing to do, it's a bit early to be worrying and you don't want her to be picking up any negativity around food

Thurlow Wed 01-Jul-15 11:52:25

YABU. She's a small, growing child and she's not overweight.

Unless you have genuine concerns about the amount she is eating or what kind of food she is eating, then restricting her intake at this age is a bad idea. Plus they are brighter than you might think, and she will pick up on it.

Can you tell us what she eats on an average day?

Purplesky2 Wed 01-Jul-15 12:37:35

I do feed her too - obviously but I mean he feeds her more unsuitable food.

She has cereal for breakfast which she doesn't really eat

Some dried fruit mid morning and an apple.

Sandwich and crisps or beans on toast with some fruit maybe raspberries or strawberries

A biscuit mid afternoon

Dinner - pasta bolognaise, lasagne, fish and potatoes, jacket potato and tuna and then a yoghurt

She is at nursery 3 days a week for all meals though.

molyholy Wed 01-Jul-15 12:53:16

This sounds like my DD. She was just shy of 10lb born and remained bigger than other kids her age. She is 6 now and looks like someone has stretched her. She has shot up and has lost her padding. I wouldn't worry. Her dad might give her the odd treat, but she certainly isn't eating crap is she.

tumbletumble Wed 01-Jul-15 12:58:07

My DS2 was the same at that age - not overweight but solid looking. Two years later and he's now really skinny, ribs showing. Still a great eater.

YANBU to keep a casual eye on things, but no more than that.

Penfold007 Wed 01-Jul-15 13:01:17

Your daughter is well within the guidelines for a healthy height to weight ratio. In fact she's roughly on the 66th percentile. Her diet sounds fine but you could increase the veg intake, try cucumber and carrot sticks alongside the sandwich and crisps.

Belmo Wed 01-Jul-15 13:08:57

My dd is very similar - 3.10, 108cm and 20.5kg. I keep a bit of an eye and keep sweets etc as an occasional treat, but she can eat as much healthy food as she likes. I am not at all worried as she was an enormous, off the charts baby so is slowly making her way back onto the centiles!

however Wed 01-Jul-15 13:49:38

Ditch the beans, cereal and crisps and dried fruit and add more veg.

slightlyconfused85 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:27:13

I've got a very big dd - she's 2.8 and 91st centile for weight and height. I wouldn't let her eat masses of cakes and biscuits etc but I don't 'watch what she eats' other than to ensure she gets 5 a day. She's growing and averages are only created because there are children at either end of the scale.

MiaowTheCat Wed 01-Jul-15 15:16:50

I watch it, in that she's got a bit of a tummy again at the moment but I'm fairly sure she's gearing up to shoot up in height again so it's host something I keep a general eye on in case the expected growth spurt doesn't appear the week after I buy new preschool uniform!

chewymeringue Wed 01-Jul-15 15:25:08

My Dd now 12 has always grown out a bit and then up. It's very normal for kids to do this. Just make sure she has a healthy balanced diet and don't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now