AIBU to think we should pay the charges?

(5 Posts)
WombatStewForTea Tue 30-Jun-15 22:15:31

We've been privately renting for a year. Our contract is due to end at the end of July. A few weeks ago we got a letter from the estate agents asking whether we wanted to renew the contract or leave. We had to let them know within a week. Anyway we decided to leave as OH has been annoyed by noisy neighbour and we'd ideally like a garden.
Today OH has done a complete 360 and wants to stay! I'm not bothered either way and I'm quite happy to stay as nothing else has come up (although we do have a back up plan to move in with the inlaws).
As yet the flat hasn't been rented out and we've only had one viewer who didn't like it. I've persuaded OH that he has to be the one to call the estate agent as it's his decision which means we're messing them around.
Realistically I can't see that they're going to be bothered but I do think that they will ask us to pay the application fee again (as opposed to the renewal fee which is considerably less). OH thinks this is ridiculous and we shouldn't have to pay it as it covers the price of credit checks etc. I think they've readvertised the property and will need to recover their costs.
OH has then gone on to say that if they want us to pay it then we'll leave after all which I think is completely ridiculous and takes messing them around to a whole new level!

So AIBU in expecting to pay more?

itsmeitscathy Wed 01-Jul-15 01:12:12

YANBU - you sound perfectly reasonable and realistic. hopefully they'll be so glad to let it theyll not charge you more thoigh!

GloGirl Wed 01-Jul-15 03:07:23

Yabu I am totally on team DH

Optimist1 Wed 01-Jul-15 05:17:52

If you stay then the agents' job is done so they don't have the work associated with continuing to look for new tenants, which works in your favour. But you're right that they've probably incurred some costs in re-advertising, etc. There's nothing to prevent your husband telling the agents there's been a change in your circumstances and asking what the financial implications would be if you agreed to a further year's tenancy. Then you'll discover whether your prediction was right or his was.

Jengnr Wed 01-Jul-15 05:21:38

I'm on your husband's team too. Paying for a full reapplication is utterly ridiculous and I wouldn't do it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now