To ask the doctor for a sicknote

(10 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 29-Jun-15 11:10:25

I've never really taken any sick leave other than when I had HG when pregnant with DS 5 years ago.
Last week I had an excisional biopsy on my right breast.
It hurt like hell for a few days and is still a bit sore now (the cut is at the bottom of my breast and having to heal under the weight of my huge norks grin ).
Anyhow, its still a bit sore, especially when I reach for things/try snd lift anything etc, mainly though I havent been sleeping well. Firstly because Ive had to try and sleep in an unusual position to get comfy and now my back is sore, but also because I cant shake the feeling the surgeon is looking for cancer, and Im scared.
I've only just started really to feel physically better and would like to feel properly better before returning to work, and also Im so tired from lack of sleep the idea of going to work feeling like this fills me with dread.
I've a post op check at the GP later,am I being a complete wuss if I ask for a sicknote? Or do I ask? I've never had to do this before and not really sure.

anorakgirl Mon 29-Jun-15 11:12:10

Just explain exactly what you said above and ask the GP for some more recovery time. I'm sure it will be absolutely fine. Look after yourself!

PenguinPoser Mon 29-Jun-15 11:13:49

Ask and you will probably get one. I don't think it's unreasonable if you explain your reasons and don't feel you could do your job properly. Other option would be to discuss a phased return. flowers hope your results are good news.

RedKite1985 Mon 29-Jun-15 11:14:00

You can only have a sicknote if you have been off work for more than 4 days? Other than that YANBU

LivinLaVidaLoki Mon 29-Jun-15 11:27:24

Thanks for the responses. I have been off since the op (self certified), but if I need any more time I need a docs note. I've just never asked for one before and dont know if doc will just tell me to just pull myself together...

Fluffyears Mon 29-Jun-15 17:35:18

The Dr will ask how long you need and write a note. I had to ask for one after suffering stress that gave me panic attacks.

ALittleFaith Mon 29-Jun-15 17:49:39

Definitely go in and ask for a sick note. Explain you're struggling to sleep and doubt you'll function well enough to do your job. May also be wise to ask about extra pain relief to get on top of it.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 29-Jun-15 17:58:30

I'm surprised the surgeon didn't automatically sign you off for two weeks, tbh.
Sympathies.

ilikebaking Mon 29-Jun-15 18:05:28

Your GP will just do it, won't question you, make you feel guilty, or berate you and if they do- report them and see another one.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 29-Jun-15 18:07:40

yanbu - your GP will see this - take it easy on yourself - it's sounds stressful and painful thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now