To think this was a bit OTT???

(13 Posts)
mill3003 Thu 25-Jun-15 22:24:56

Changing room craziness: Tonight, at swimming, I was told off. I was sitting on the floor, outside my daughters changing room, phone in my lap, reading. All the changing rooms our side were empty, including the one my girls were supposed to be in, as they had gone to the toilet! A voice says excuse me, so I look up, to be told phones aren't allowed to be used in the changing rooms. I've been taking my daughters swimming here for over a year now & have never been told this. There are signs in the viewing galleries stating that pictures can't be taken while children are swimming. Fair enough, totally agree. But there are no signs in the changing rooms, so, to be sat in public, with all the doors around me open because they were empty, & not actually be physically holding my phone, but having it just resting in my lap, only touching it to turn the page of the book I was reading, & be told off, I feel, was a bit much. If there were open doors, with half naked children running around, my phone would have been in my bag, but there weren't. Had I just walked out of a changing room, phone in hand & kids in tow, fair enough. I can see how strange & suspicious that may look. But I hadn't. I showed him I was only reading an e book, but he didn't look impressed. The battery had died on my e reader, otherwise I would have been using that. Sometimes I use my tablet. Are these also banned? Some DO have cameras on them too �� Next time my e reader battery dies, I'll just sit in a cubicle ON MY OWN, with the door locked!

TheIncredibleBookEatingManchot Thu 25-Jun-15 23:04:51

Well if that's the rule then that's the rule. It would get complicated and harder to enforce if they started to make exceptions for certain phone-uses. It's annoying for you, I know, but they can't allow some people to break the rules, even if they're not actually doing anything wrong or harmful.

kinkyfuckery Thu 25-Jun-15 23:07:39

You do realise those rules are there to protect people like your daughters, don't you?

TheCatsMother99 Thu 25-Jun-15 23:11:33

Them's the rulessss

RJnomore Thu 25-Jun-15 23:13:53

Nah it's a bit bonkers.

And probably both counter productive and unenforceable.

WorraLiberty Thu 25-Jun-15 23:15:00

A voice says excuse me, so I look up, to be told phones aren't allowed to be used in the changing rooms

You call that a 'telling off'? confused

DoJo Thu 25-Jun-15 23:16:09

Do you object to the rule itself or the way it was applied in your case?

DurhamDurham Thu 25-Jun-15 23:21:12

I suppose they have to have a total ban or they would have to make judgement calls all the time everyone had a camera in the changing rooms. Saves a lot of hassle to just say it's not allowed at all. It's a small inconvenience to you but it's there to protect everyone's children.

mill3003 Fri 26-Jun-15 08:17:39

I understand if it is the rule, but there are no signs stating this anywhere in the changing rooms & I've never had an issue before. There are plenty of others who roam around on their phones, texting, answering calls etc & often in the busiest areas. I Don't, as a general rule, use my phone in the changing rooms, as I usually sit reading on my e reader. I was just rather surprised really, even more so when I walked round the corner to leave, only to find a group of women, with their phones out, actually taking pics of their kids, dripping wet in their costumes, for getting swimming badges, while a different member of staff walked past without saying a word!

19lottie82 Fri 26-Jun-15 08:24:06

If there are no signs up, or you haven't been previously aware of the rule, I'd just ignore them (unless it was a member of staff, of course).

HippyDippyRidingPretty Fri 26-Jun-15 08:27:01

Sorry I can't get my head around you sitting on the changing room floor. Isn't it wet and hoc?

AuntyMag10 Fri 26-Jun-15 08:29:31

You call that a telling off??
Sounds like he just informed you of the rules.

Euphemia Fri 26-Jun-15 08:34:47

I'd have thought that no phones in the changing rooms was common sense: they don't need signs up and you should have figured that one out for yourself.

YABU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now