To not want my dd to stay in her PE kit all day?

(108 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 25-Jun-15 19:34:03

Dd is 8, Year 3. They have PE once a week on a Thursday. The arrangement is that the PE kit is kept at home, they wear it to school on Thursday and go home still wearing it. PE is the penultimate lesson of the day, then they have one more lesson then home (although dd stays for Art club after school so I don't collect her till 5pm).

Apparently there 'isn't enough time' for them to change. I don't really like the idea of them staying in the same clothes all day especially when the weather's warm. They get hot and sticky during the day and then have to wear the same clothes for PE and then keep them on for another couple of hours (in dd's case).

Is this the norm in primary schools these days? AIBU?

IAmAShitHotLawyer Thu 25-Jun-15 19:35:33

not normal no. its odd. send her in her uniform with her kit to change into.

Stealthpolarbear Thu 25-Jun-15 19:36:07

If she doesn't have pe, doesn't she stay on her uniform all day?

MovingStress Thu 25-Jun-15 19:36:56

Doesn't she wear the same clothes all day on non PE days?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 25-Jun-15 19:37:02

It's not usual, but I don't see the problem. You can wash both her and the kit when she gets home.

Dancergirl Thu 25-Jun-15 19:38:28

Yes she does stay in her uniform all day but it's different somehow. She's getting hot and sweaty doing PE and then can't change clothes. And surely school shoes are better for feet than trainers all day?

Starlightbright1 Thu 25-Jun-15 19:39:30

I would be pleased my DS got a bit more wear out of his PE kit than 1/2 hour a week term time but yes never heard of it.

Stealthpolarbear Thu 25-Jun-15 19:40:40

Well I don't think it's usual although my dc often come home in their pe kit (school shoes though). Tbh if you get hot and sweaty doing pe how does just changing your clothes help

IAmAShitHotLawyer Thu 25-Jun-15 19:41:05

hasn't this been happening since September though?

littleducks Thu 25-Jun-15 19:41:18

I think it is a great idea. removes all the problems with changing (lack of privacy is a frequent thread topic on here, less stuff lost.

It isn't the norm round here only private schools do it, though they may have swimming not games PE.

She will get hot and sweaty in her uniform, if she runs around at playtime.

I wouldn't worry too much.

ShelaghTurner Thu 25-Jun-15 19:42:43

Agree it's a great idea. Wish dd's school did it. Far better than wearing the same kit week after week till it comes home for washing at half term.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 25-Jun-15 19:43:07

Sounds very sensible imo.

Floggingmolly Thu 25-Jun-15 19:43:23

It's the penultimate lesson; so she's not in it "all day" at all, is she? confused

TheEmpressofBlandings Thu 25-Jun-15 19:43:53

My DD wears PE kit all day when they have games, seems fine to me.

FrChewieLouie Thu 25-Jun-15 19:43:55

DC school did this last year, but seem to have thought better of it now.

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 25-Jun-15 19:44:06

PE is all of 30 minutes by the time they've all got changed, and even then they aren't working out solidly!

YABU.

dobbythedoggy Thu 25-Jun-15 19:44:24

I can see your point op.

Surely they should make time for the children to change before and after PE. For the younger children I've worked with it was expected to take a chunk of the lesson. Isn't it a skill they need to learn for further up the school/secondary? Plus learning good hygenic habbits after exercise. A spent a half term 'training' yr/y1 to change for pe when I was doing my early years training. Yes they need a gentle reminder after their week off but could change and get dressed with minimal fuss and support. Would have hated to take them swimming in the summer term if they weren't used to that!

chocolateyy Thu 25-Jun-15 19:44:44

This happens with my DS's school.

On PE & Games days (twice per week) he wear tracksuit to school, does PE/Games then wears his tracksuit for the remainder of the day.

It works out really well, his gym kit costs a fortune & I'm glad he's actually getting the use from it.

He is in L6, so not hit puberty yet, but when he goes to Senior school they do get changed & have showers

AnyFucker Thu 25-Jun-15 19:44:57

this is a non problem, IMO

I wouldn't even bat an eyelid

how "sweaty" do 8 yo's actually get, bearing in mind that normally she would be in the same uniform clothes "all day"

if I had a pound for all the items of pe kit lost over the years, I would be supping Moet, not Prosecco right now

exLtEveDallasNoBollocks Thu 25-Jun-15 19:45:22

If she wore her uniform she'd get it hot and sweaty at morning break and lunchtime. Then change into PE kit and get hot and sweaty in that too. I'd prefer it if I had only one sweaty outfit to wash than two.

DD would be much cooler in her PE kit all day - it's much lighter cotton than her uniform.

turningvioletviolet Thu 25-Jun-15 19:46:01

i can't say that this would be an issue i would give any thought to at all. It's all just clothes isn't it?

tryingtocatchthewind Thu 25-Jun-15 19:46:17

Wouldn't bother me at all, kids get hot, sweaty and filthy anyway so why not in different clothes. Getting changed for PE at that age is a total waste of time I agree with the school

noeffingidea Thu 25-Jun-15 19:46:23

Sounds like a good idea to me. Wish they'd done it when my kids were at school.

SaucyJack Thu 25-Jun-15 19:47:09

Sounds bloody weird to me!

But from what I saw at Sports Day yesterday, the average 8 year old is not going to get stinky from the paltry amount of exercise they do in a PE lesson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now