to 'feel sorry' for inanimate objects

(192 Posts)
ollieplimsoles Thu 25-Jun-15 12:48:29

Maybe its the pg hormones making me all unreasonable!

But we have an old.sofa in our living room, its very old, dh had it in his bedroom when we first met, and it belonged to a family friend before that.its also quite tatty.

We have ordered a lovely new sofa and this old one is going to the tip. But I suddenly started feeling sad for it, thinking about how it wont be around when our baby arrives and other nonsense!

I used to feel sorry for toys that were sent to charity when I was little too.

Its just me isn't it...

zombiemeow Thu 25-Jun-15 12:50:15

YANBU!!!!!

I do this too grin

haveabreakhaveakitkat Thu 25-Jun-15 12:52:05

YANBU. At lunch, l felt so sorry for the last baked bean that I couldn't get out of the tin.

Gatekeeper Thu 25-Jun-15 12:53:20

I do it too; I get very attached to things and feel rather bereft when I have to part with favourites

Cherryblossomsinspring Thu 25-Jun-15 12:54:33

Slippery slope OP! Gotta nip that weird thinking in the bud! (I may have occasionally had a similar feeling but it snowballs so you gotta control the weirdness).

nyprincess Thu 25-Jun-15 12:54:35

Me too. I also can't tidy away toys without making sure they have a friend in case they get lonely.. blush

Agrestic Thu 25-Jun-15 12:54:55

When I used to stay at dps I used to feel sorry for my bed as it wasn't being used. I hated the idea of being cold...

<immediately name changes>

KittensOnAPlane Thu 25-Jun-15 12:55:10

i used to feel sad for the 'non player characters' (system ones, not other players) - for a being bored/lonely, and b) being killed as part of a quest

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 25-Jun-15 12:55:31

YANBU I can't skip just one song on a CD because it will feel left out.

Mindexplode Thu 25-Jun-15 12:57:33

I have recently downloaded sims

I feel sorry for some of the characters as they have joined later in the game and therefore are behind in skills, and I only have one couple so far.

Sirzy Thu 25-Jun-15 12:58:02

Honesty I didn't cry when selling a car when I was younger. blush

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 25-Jun-15 12:58:28

YANBU. I become attached to cars etc. The one thing I still have to do with the remaining cuddly toys the dc (teens) have is make sure their eyes arent covered so they have a view. I would never admit this in RL.

yongnian Thu 25-Jun-15 13:02:27

YANBU. Dont get me started on this topic.....

ollieplimsoles Thu 25-Jun-15 13:03:17

oh my god its not just me!

I felt like a total idiot with this sofa because my mum was on the phone to me listing everything that is wrong with it (tatty, unhygienic when baby arrives, too small, all sunken in the middle) and I felt SO sorry for the sofa!

Its been through so much, can't it retire with a bit of DIGNITY!?! D:

retrocutie Thu 25-Jun-15 13:03:48

Yep. I have always been the same, ever since I was little. I broke a new glass the other day and cried, because it has had no life.

parallax80 Thu 25-Jun-15 13:04:30

When my essays were over the word limit I used to feel sorry for the words that had to be cut. They weren't bad words, there were just too many. So I used to run a separate word document alongside each of them just to put them in.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Thu 25-Jun-15 13:05:00

I can't go looking in the charity shop after I've taken our stuff there or I'll feel too guilty and buy it back blush

haveabreakhaveakitkat Thu 25-Jun-15 13:06:34

Ollieplimsoles - could you cut a bit of the fabric off to keep as a memory?

MummyPidge Thu 25-Jun-15 13:06:36

I can only eat tic tacs/mints in even numbers as I wouldn't want one to be lonely in my belly blush

BarbarianMum Thu 25-Jun-15 13:07:09

Not just you blush. I used to feel bad about throwing out worn out socks as a child. As an adult I find donating to charity shops, reselling or recycling eases the guilt.

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 25-Jun-15 13:10:37

I usually walk to work but last week I had an appoinment and needed my car. Before leaving it in the car park I explained what was happening, that I would be back soon, and that the red car right here would look after it.

blush

ollieplimsoles Thu 25-Jun-15 13:11:14

Thats a great idea Haveabreak Thanks! I'll do that.

I would get it re done but its filthy, its an old ikea one and would cost more than the new sofa to be re covered!

We are getting new everything and soo much old furniture is going... I feel so sorry for it all, it was here when we moved in/ got married, now it won't see our child grow up..

FeralBeryl Thu 25-Jun-15 13:11:20

I bloody love this thread! Not the only weirdo quirky one anymore.
I can't throw toys around tidying up in case I 'hurt' them, feel sorry for veg in boiling water in a pan (although I eat meat) felt really guilty about throwing our old toilet seat away. Probably loads more. I think I probably need help to be fair.

shovetheholly Thu 25-Jun-15 13:13:03

Whaaaaaaaat?

You are all weird grin.

Seriously, as long as it doesn't lead to crazy hoarding behaviour (which can happen), I think it's kinda cute. Though not something I feel myself.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 25-Jun-15 13:14:12

My mother is like this. Their kettle of ten years has become very temperamental. They bought a new kettle but it stays in its box as my mother feels pangs of guilt about turning her back on the old kettle that has been such a loyal and steady kitchen companion.

Bonkers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now