To get married in jeans?

(283 Posts)
SusiePaloozie Wed 24-Jun-15 10:23:06

I'm 42 years old...we're getting married in a hot country (DHs home country) and it won't be a formal affair...it will be in the garden..not during the hottest months but in Spring. I'm too old for floaty hippy style and the affair will be too relaxed for any of the wedding dresses aimed at older brides.

I thought I could wear some really nice jeans and a gorgeous white top...maybe a flower in hair and some fabulous shoes.
Essentially the whole day will be a BBQ with friends and family....I will feel daft in a formal dress....I hate those 50s style tea dresses...and don't really want to buy a long or formal frock when I will never wear it again!

I have a good figure and look nice in jeans...I have no desire to be a princess for the day ...I've worked as an actor for years and have had loads of chances to wear big dresses....AIBU though?

Purplepumpkins Wed 24-Jun-15 10:24:53

White or black skinny jeans rather then blue would be nice. Or linen?

hibbledibble Wed 24-Jun-15 10:25:06

In a hot country surely it would be more comfortable to wear a dress. How about a maxi dress? It doesn't have to be a specific wedding one, just a casual summer dress.

Jeans would seem a bit of an odd choice to me, and uncomfortable in the heat.

SusiePaloozie Wed 24-Jun-15 10:25:47

Hibble no. As I said it will be Spring...I pointed that out. It's not hot then...just sunny...always is.

SusiePaloozie Wed 24-Jun-15 10:26:31

Purple I hate linen it looks shapeless and creased. I don't like white or black jeans.

PoppyBlossom Wed 24-Jun-15 10:26:33

Do it, whatever you personally choose.

Koalafications Wed 24-Jun-15 10:26:41

YANBU, wear whatever will make you happy.

MrsEvadneCake Wed 24-Jun-15 10:26:42

Congratulations. Whatever you're comfortable in. It's your day. Linen might be less hot though?

hibbledibble Wed 24-Jun-15 10:27:41

How hot will it be? You said spring in a hot country, which in my experience is around 30c

SusiePaloozie Wed 24-Jun-15 10:27:45

I think linen looks awful personally...it creases.

SusiePaloozie Wed 24-Jun-15 10:28:17

Hibble I don't want to say which country but suffice to say I know it well and jeans will be fine. People wear them all the time.

hibbledibble Wed 24-Jun-15 10:31:12

Susie you seem to be misreading what I say!

I didn't ask what country it is.. Only how hot, which is pretty relevant to your question.

You seem to have already made your mind up however, so I don't really know why you are asking hmm

BonnieNoClyde Wed 24-Jun-15 10:32:03

lovely! white jeans? and a really pretty peasant top

LadyNym Wed 24-Jun-15 10:32:57

YANBU. It's your wedding so your choice!

FanfeckintasticFitbit Wed 24-Jun-15 10:33:11

Jeez just wear the jeans, sheesh!!

tangledtanga Wed 24-Jun-15 10:33:50

You seem pretty set on what you want to wear and are shooting down posters who make alternative suggestions so I don't really know why you have posted hmm

AdventureBe Wed 24-Jun-15 10:33:53

I think you'll look lovely, but I think you need to tell the guests. I'd hate to turn up in all my wedding finery to find the wedding party in jeans.

Flisspaps Wed 24-Jun-15 10:34:28

YANBU - have a lovely day thanks

EponasWildDaughter Wed 24-Jun-15 10:34:51

She doesn't want to wear white jeans.

Why are you ''too old'' for a hippy floaty dress at 42? confused

MrsEvadneCake Wed 24-Jun-15 10:35:22

Jeans it is then smile have a lovely celebration.

SusiePaloozie Wed 24-Jun-15 10:35:31

Bonnie yes I thought something like that but maybe lacier...I don't really know why I'masking...it just occurred to me after weeks of looking for a dress and inwardly dreading wearing one that I actually don't have to.

I do wear dresses from time to time but just can't find one that's suitable...I never really feel right in a dress.

SusiePaloozie Wed 24-Jun-15 10:36:26

Epronas I don't know...I just feel a bit too middle aged or something...the hippy look is all flower child innocence and I'm hardly that at 42!

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 24-Jun-15 10:36:52

Go for it but have 'casual clothing - jeans welcome' on your invites.

Totality22 Wed 24-Jun-15 10:37:51

I also wonder why you posted when you have completely trashed any alternative suggestions.

What you plan sounds lovely... but you seem dead set on it so no need for an aibu?

MaxPepsi Wed 24-Jun-15 10:39:12

what is your DH going to wear?

Are you going to tell your guests not to bother getting dressed up?

What is the tradition for your DH's country?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now