To not know when it's ok to ask someone for a character reference?

(6 Posts)
MrsNextDoor Mon 22-Jun-15 22:53:42

I need a character reference...two really...and I have a selection of people to ask but don't know when it's ok to ask and when it's pushy.

One candidate is a lawyer...he's the Father of one of my DC's friends. They've been friends for 6 years since reception and though they go to different schools now, have stayed in touch via us parents...playdates and party invitations and trips to the park etc.

Could I ask him? He's the one who accompanies his DC to the playdates with mine so we're on good chatty terms but not exactly friends.

Do I ask in person or via text....I thought text so that I wouldn't put him on the spot but DH says in person.

Mrsjayy Mon 22-Jun-15 22:57:43

Ask him text him saying the next time you see him you want to speak about a character reference then you dont feel on the spot

Mrsjayy Mon 22-Jun-15 22:58:47

You would like not want want sounds demanding

MrsNextDoor Mon 22-Jun-15 23:00:27

Oh I feel shy! How silly is that!? It's so...un-me to ask for such a thing!

Mrsjayy Mon 22-Jun-15 23:03:34

It is a bit of an awkward ask i had to get 1 years ago i asked ateacher at dds school

AcrossthePond55 Mon 22-Jun-15 23:22:05

I agree with DH. You should ask in person.

"John, I am applying for XXX and need two character witnesses. I was wondering if you would consider providing me with one. I would truly appreciate it, but if you would prefer not, it's not a problem, I can ask someone else."

Simple, not pushy, and gives him an 'out' without feeling he's letting you down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now