pregnancy at 36

(23 Posts)
ironfist36 Mon 22-Jun-15 18:27:55

hi im a 36 year old mum of 4 boys. i just found out im pregnant and im really scared. the last time i had a baby was 11 years ago.my husband was over the moon about the news, but hey! he,s not pushing it out. but when i read up on things thats when the real worry set in cant think straight i dont no if im doing the right thing ive tryed to relax when the kids go to bed but my mind wonders to same thing.i dont no what im doing im scared for my boys

formerbabe Mon 22-Jun-15 18:32:38

What specifically are you worried about op?

ancientbuchanan Mon 22-Jun-15 18:35:55

I had my lo at 37! No sweat.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Mon 22-Jun-15 18:37:26

Your age will really not be a worry to health professionals. Especially if you have a history of straightforward pregnancies.

But it sounds line it isn't really that that is the issue?

Claireshh Mon 22-Jun-15 18:39:45

Is it your age or the impact on your boys that is worrying you?

I was 39 in May and found out last week that I'm pregnant. Life was kind of easy with my two so I have been thinking wtf have we done. However, we always always wanted three so....

Rowgtfc72 Mon 22-Jun-15 18:52:25

I had DD at 36. Did get listed as a geriatric mother but wasn't treated any differently.

Andrewofgg Mon 22-Jun-15 18:59:09

flowers OP and Claireshh.

OP Be sure you teach 11, and possibly the next one down depending on his age, to change nappies, prepare feeds if ff, hang up and fold washing, and do all the other tasks that he is capable of. I had no younger siblings but my father was blind which affected what he could do, and when I was about 12 DM bought a second, low ironing board which I could reach and we shared the ironing - we made it a chance to have a private natter.

You can turn out at least one fatherhood-ready son!

buildmeabuttercup Mon 22-Jun-15 18:59:47

Geriatric mother at 36 shock.

Don't read up horror stories on the Internet, i know it's hard but it causes so much unnecessary stress. I did the same and ended up having weekly therapy sessions so I could get through the rest of my pregnancy without having a breakdown, and that was a textbook pregnancy.

What's worrying you ?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 22-Jun-15 19:01:10

I'm 39 and ttc. It has never even crossed my mind that I am too old.

youareallbonkers Mon 22-Jun-15 19:03:30

How do so many adults find themselves pregnant? Don't they know how this happens?

Molotov Mon 22-Jun-15 19:08:50

bonkers, how do so mamy adults lack empathy to the fears of others?

Have a biscuit from me.

Molotov Mon 22-Jun-15 19:11:51

OP, I can only second what other's have said here. You should stop reading stuff on the internet as Dr. Google never really helped anyone. Once the news of your pg has sunk in, talk about your concerns with your HCPs who will know your background/obstetric history.

Good luck and congratulations thanks

steff13 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:12:23

I had my second son at age 24. My daughter came along when I was 34. I was terrified that I couldn't do it again, and sad that I was finally getting out of the little kid stage, with a 10 year old son and a 13 year old son. But my pregnancy was ok and my daughter is perfection. It's like being a first time mom again in some ways, but it's amazing.

Congratulations!

Topseyt Mon 22-Jun-15 19:13:12

I had my third DD at 36. She is nearly 13 now.

Age-wise, it isn't considered that unusual these days. Not too old, if that is what you are worried about. Is there something else going on?

TheBookofRuth Mon 22-Jun-15 19:13:15

Most of the first time mums in my NTC group were older than that, and all had gorgeous healthy babies. Had my two at 33 and 35 without any issues - in fact the second one was by far the easier pregnancy.

steff13 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:14:47

How do so many adults find themselves pregnant? Don't they know how this happens?

Well, I was on the pill, which I took daily as prescribed. Abstinence is the only birth control that's 100% effective, but being that I'm married, it didn't really seem like a resonable choice.

Katedotness1963 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:20:16

We had tried for 14 years with no success and then I got pregnant at 36. Had my second child at 38. Both pregnancies a breeze (didn't even realise till 17 weeks the first time and 14 the second...). Quick births, no time for pain relief, felt like I could run a marathon a couple of hours later, a feeling I've never had on a normal day!! ��

Brummiegirl15 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:23:37

I'm 38 and pregnant. Will be 39 when dc arrives and it's my first

LibrariesGaveUsPower Mon 22-Jun-15 19:25:14

Bonkers - Well given the OP has gone 11 years between pregnancies, I am fairly sure she understands contraception. Are you always this snide on threads where people are seeking help?

Happfeet2911 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:50:33

First pregnancy at 37, twins to boot - all fine, please don't worry!

tripletrouble Mon 22-Jun-15 20:05:01

I was also 36 when I had my first and went on to have two more lovely healthy boys. Do not worry about your other children, they will adapt and will probably benefit in the long run from having another child in the family. My littlest one, who was not planned, is the sweetest child, much loved by his brothers!

neversleepagain Mon 22-Jun-15 20:42:26

My cousin had triplets at 41!

ovumahead Mon 22-Jun-15 20:47:21

OP lots of people don't even start ttc until they're your age or older! I suspect you're in a bit of shock at the news. Just let it sink in. You'll be absolutely fine I'm sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now