To ask if you text friends to say happy birthday??

(26 Posts)
sherbetlemonD Mon 22-Jun-15 18:01:21

Just that, really.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 22-Jun-15 18:02:41

Sometimes. Sometimes I intend to and forget. My hierarchy of birthdays would be:

Meeting up
Card
Phone call
Text
Facebook message
Nothing

Tequilashotfor1 Mon 22-Jun-15 18:02:48

Yes. Sometimes I copy a YouTube link of a sweary happy birthday song too grin

iwantgin Mon 22-Jun-15 18:02:52

Yes, in addition to posting a card, and perhaps congratulating them on fb.

That covers all corners grin

Why ?

MagicalHamSandwich Mon 22-Jun-15 18:03:44

Close friends I usually see on their birthdays. Depends on your circle, I suppose, we're all quite drinks-friendly types.

I do text acquaintances, my co-workers and even my boss.

SoozeyHoozey Mon 22-Jun-15 18:04:28

No I haven't bothered for a few years. I don't mind if people forget mine either! Not really that arsed about birthday celebrations for adults. I only expect partners and my close family to remember, and only bother to remember theirs.

BarneyTheDog Mon 22-Jun-15 18:04:47

Yes, always.

redcaryellowcar Mon 22-Jun-15 18:05:32

I send cards and try to send a text or possibly Facebook message, tbh good friends I'm less bothered about Facebook, maybe I should be more Facebook diligent?

dangerrabbit Mon 22-Jun-15 18:06:47

I'm not on FB but will text and meet up. Occasionally I will also send a card.

whatsagoodusername Mon 22-Jun-15 18:10:59

I usually don't. If I realise the date (I usually only know today is "Monday" not "Monday the 22nd"), then I make an effort to do FB or phone particularly good friends.

I don't expect texts or anyone to remember mine.

sherbetlemonD Mon 22-Jun-15 18:18:01

Birthday tomorrow and thought a friend would of text. Maybe I'm being an idiot about it. Thanks all.

clearsommespace Mon 22-Jun-15 18:19:22

It's not your birthday yet !?

clearsommespace Mon 22-Jun-15 18:20:15

To answer your question, no.
I would phone for a chat or email.

LadyMaryofDownton Mon 22-Jun-15 18:20:34

But your birthdays tomorrow, so wait & see?

I always txt my friends happy birthday.

sherbetlemonD Mon 22-Jun-15 18:21:14

She went on holiday over the weekend and I know she doesn't take her phone with her. I'm being a sensitive noob, I know grin

damn time of the month

HoldYerWhist Mon 22-Jun-15 18:21:26

Er...it's your birthday tomorrow??

HoldYerWhist Mon 22-Jun-15 18:21:59

Ah, sorry x post.

I don't think that would bother me tbh!

NerrSnerr Mon 22-Jun-15 18:22:31

I'll send a card and try to remember to text. I wouldn't do it until their actual birthday though.

prorsum Mon 22-Jun-15 18:25:52

Yes and they do me as well. It's kinda sad really as cards are nice to give and receive.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Mon 22-Jun-15 18:27:00

But it's not even your birthday yet? What a strange post.

NRomanoff Mon 22-Jun-15 18:29:21

If she was on holiday, it wouldn't bother me at all. My closest friends live all across the country and we text constantly, so we text birthdays. I know my two best friends have very colas families and if I call them I will be interrupting and we will end up talking for ages.

Depends on your circle I suppose. But I know that when I go on holiday my brain is so full of all the stuff I need to do, I could possibly forget. I don't judge friends for forgetting my birthday though, in general.

coffeetasteslikeshit Mon 22-Jun-15 18:33:40

Sometimes, if I remember. Hardly know what day it is normally though, let alone the date.

Ragwort Mon 22-Jun-15 18:44:22

Probably not, I send (and receive) cards from my friends and tend to use texting just for quick messages about confirming a meet up or something. I wouldn't text 'for fun' and certainly don't use Facebook grin.

BackforGood Mon 22-Jun-15 18:45:22

So have I got this right ?

Your birthday isn't until tomorrow, but today you are getting upset because your friend hasn't sent you a text ? confused

Also, you know your friend is on holiday without her phone, so couldn't, even if she thought about it.

When you are on holiday, it's easy to forget what day it is even if you had the phone and wanted to send a text.

Am I missing something ?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 22-Jun-15 21:44:36

Friend on holiday, I'd let them off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now