To not go to the MIU or is my mum?

(47 Posts)
Aliiiii Fri 19-Jun-15 20:35:00

Not important in the scheme of things, but very painful!
I've had hard skin on my right heel which has now cracked and split deeply and is very painful to walk on
I thought I'd see if I can get something from the chemist to try and close the split.
My mum (bless her) thinks I should hobble up to minor injuries as it could be infected
I don't like to waste anyone's time especially the NHS but wondering if she's right
Thoughts please

Lovewearingjeans Fri 19-Jun-15 20:36:05

Perhaps speak to the pharmacist? They can advise.

Mitzimaybe Fri 19-Jun-15 20:37:22

Pharmacist is a good shout.

This happens to me a lot! I have found that using one of the creams that soften hard, cracked heels helps - imthinkmit softens the surrounding skin, so it is more flexible, and stretches a bit when you walk, instead of pulling on the cracked bit.

I've never been to the MIU. But I have just invested in a Scholl FootSander (not the proper name, I know) - and using it is so satisfying! I will have pretty feet this year, instead of cracked hooves.

...I think it - not imthinkmit blush

momtothree Fri 19-Jun-15 20:41:36

I was thinking of buying one ... any good?

Aliiiii Fri 19-Jun-15 20:43:33

Oooh I've seen those sanders and think I will invest in one
I'm going to stick with the pharmacist and see what they say
Will lather my heel in cream tonight and wear some nice fluffy sock grin
Bless my mum I'm 47!!

The Scholl Sander? It's good - much easier and quicker than a foot file, but you don't seem to be able to go too far.

Goshthatsspicy Fri 19-Jun-15 20:46:00

l'm treating my heals right now.
I just bought some 'Manuka doctor' foot and heel cream.
It is wonderful. They are smoothing and healing quite quickly.
Amazon stock it - on prime!

Goshthatsspicy Fri 19-Jun-15 20:46:32

My *heels obviously.

Goshthatsspicy Fri 19-Jun-15 20:48:06

Mine (on one foot) was super deep. Not infected though. The minute you moisturise it, it will improve. I get it every summer.

JellyMould Fri 19-Jun-15 20:51:17

Flexibility heel balm is your friend. Only MIU if it's infected or something - what is your mum thinking they could do?

Nanny0gg Fri 19-Jun-15 20:51:52

Cracked heel cream - Scholl's - is very good. There is also an exfoliating cream.

The sanders are a bit extreme when your foot is sore.

morningsarepants Fri 19-Jun-15 20:53:00

I used to have this constantly. My heels would crack and bleed and I would have plasters on them all the time.
Then I discovered Flexitol heel balm. It changed my life! It has I think 50% urea in it and it doesn't smell too good but it really works. I use it after every shower ie daily and no cracks in 10 years now.

YoniMitchell Fri 19-Jun-15 20:53:40

Ped egg and Eucerin foot cream. A few days and it will be like you have different feet!

Hissy Fri 19-Jun-15 20:57:45

Cracked heels does hurt! Get the flexitol or similar, it's awesome.

Are people talking about that pedi thing from scholl? Is it worth getting one?

Fluffyears Fri 19-Jun-15 20:57:50

You need something with urea in it or it won't heal up. I got good stuff from my podiatrist but also heck you haven't got a fungal infection as that can cause dey and cracked skin and you need a proper cream to fix that.

Oldieandgoldie Fri 19-Jun-15 21:02:57

Flexitol, Flexitol, and more Flexitol. You'll see an improvement within a few days. smilesmile

hopeful31yrs Fri 19-Jun-15 21:04:19

To stop the pain use a plaster or plaster tape to pull the cracked edges together. Then file/cream as necessary when at home and resting

FadedRed Fri 19-Jun-15 21:08:54

Hydrocolloid dressing, e.g. blister plaster, will help, stop the pain and will stay on for several days while the split heals.

Moreshabbythanchic Fri 19-Jun-15 21:19:37

I use Body Shop Hemp hand cream on mine, its fantastic and heals up within hours.

peckforton Fri 19-Jun-15 21:19:58

I was desperate one day and superglued a cracked heel and it stopped hurting.

Aliiiii Fri 19-Jun-15 21:21:33

Thanks for all yr replies, never knew cracked heels were so exciting!
Just think my mum was being cautious, I have form for leaving things infected until I need hospital treatment!

Aliiiii Fri 19-Jun-15 21:30:32

Now superglue, I've got some of that......

MrsPnut Fri 19-Jun-15 21:33:05

Flexitol definitely, it works wonders. I put it on and put on a pair of socks a few nights a week to keep my feet under control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now