Disliking amateur tourist photographers taking pics of strangers

(13 Posts)
lovinbeingmum Thu 18-Jun-15 09:43:33

It's impossible to go to the park these days without seeing some tourist aiming their camera at kids playing, or runners, or an old couple chatting etc. I get it, they think its great captures but this is all done without a by-your-leave, can I, thank you......

It was irritating enough. And now a friend who was visiting Europe has gone back and I see loads of pics on his wall ...of strangers....and then his friends are making all sorts of comments about them. It's taking a lot of control not to make a negative comment.

Strangers coming up in holiday pics is one thing. To take aim and click a pic is completely another!

hiddenhome Thu 18-Jun-15 09:46:31

I think it's an invasion of privacy sad

Making comments about these people in the photos is really shitty.

bustraintram Thu 18-Jun-15 10:33:22

YABU

Public place means people can take pictures of you, it's a risk you take when leaving your house

hiddenhome Thu 18-Jun-15 11:19:24

It's bad form laughing at people though sad

Letmegetanamechange Thu 18-Jun-15 11:34:24

Making comments about complete strangers in photos is horrible confused

There is a picture of one of DP's friend kissing a girl in a club with his other friends "photo-bombing" and there are over 100 comments. Many of them making derogatory comment about the girls weight hmm

It crops up now and again every time someone goes back to comment which just makes me cringe. They're just unnecessarily mean comments which makes me angry!

lovinbeingmum Thu 18-Jun-15 12:22:57

bustrain that logic would apply to pics of children playing in the park being taken and posted anywhere. Its a public place. It just seems so wrong to me :/

The specific pic which got my goat is a guy kissing his male partner. There are all sorts of homophobic slimy comments being made. That couple wouldn't have a clue.....it's so so wrong.

tocmrpouce Thu 18-Jun-15 12:31:39

Yeah i think that's bad - how awful to think that anyone of us could be on someone's wall and their friends are laughing at us. Horrible.

I've taken photos of people on holiday before but with their permission. I have a photo at home of an old lady we met in Nepal; it's a lovely photo and our friends compliment us on it. I think that's fine but choosing to put up horrible photos to take the piss is awful. How mean!

tocmrpouce Thu 18-Jun-15 12:33:31

Sorry didn't mean that the photos look horrible - meant they are put up deliberately to intice mean comments.

insancerre Thu 18-Jun-15 12:35:25

Yabu
You don't own your image in photos
The image on the photo belongs to the person taking the photo
If you are doing something where other people are you have to accept that other people may see you and record you in film or CCTV

mmgirish Thu 18-Jun-15 12:42:40

I live in SE Asia and people are constantly taking photos of my children. Especially my wee one as he has big light coloured eyes. Sometimes it's not too bad, other times people really get in their face which drives me mad. One time, a Chinese tourist chased my son who had just turned two into a group of wild monkeys as she wanted to take his photo. It was awful.

ConferencePear Thu 18-Jun-15 12:47:07

Attending a friend's funeral in a tourist area in France we had to walk from the church to the graveyard. I found it really intrusive and offensive that we were photographed on that walk.

Uhplistrailer Thu 18-Jun-15 12:49:17

Well... We were at s festival and a girl came up to us and said, 'I hope you don't mind but I've snapped a few pics of you and your family, can I send them to you via email?' It was lovely, the pics are great and she captured a spontaneous moment of all of us together, which is rare.

It's not always awful.

xiaozhu Thu 18-Jun-15 13:16:26

YANBU. It's not illegal but it's bloody rude and disrespectful not to ask permission. It really irritates when it happens to me - particularly in my husband's country where some of the locals are not used to seeing Westerners, or the country I live in now where some of the men are not used to seeing Western women, and can be very curious. Sometimes they literally just shove a camera in your face, other times try and take clandestine photos under the auspices of taking a selfie. It's harmless enough, but it also makes me feel self-conscious and a bit of a freak. It makes integration very difficult. Some people do ask though, in which case I'm happy to pose and do a thumbs up, and have a bit of a conversation.

The same goes for moronic Western tourists on holiday in other countries: local people live there, that is their life. They're not tourist attractions or museum pieces and should be treated with respect, i.e. asked for a photo.

It really is just about respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now