To wonder what the reason for changing the name is

(11 Posts)
Summeblaze Mon 15-Jun-15 14:58:03

Apparently Health Visitors are no longer allowed to say 'Weaning'. It is now Complimentary Feeding'.

AIBU to wonder what the point of this is. Just why??

DisappointedOne Mon 15-Jun-15 14:59:17

Because the main source of nutrients from 6-12 months should still be milk. Hence the food is complimentary feeding.

PattiODoors Mon 15-Jun-15 15:01:16

As an adjunct to milk feeds I guess it's more accurate. Less likely to be inferred that milk feeds are to be superseded by food.
Or something.
??

TopCivilServant Mon 15-Jun-15 15:01:17

Is it because so many people think weaning means stopping breast feeding? My family keep saying "oh I thought you said you were wearing him" when I'm breastfeeding DS (7 months). Maybe people read that they should start weaning at around 6 months and so think they should stop breastfeeding??
(No idea, just a guess!)

PattiODoors Mon 15-Jun-15 15:02:06

What DO said ^

StinkyGinkoNuts Mon 15-Jun-15 15:16:08

Weaning is a misnomer. I just say introducing solid foods.

PenguinBollards Mon 15-Jun-15 15:19:26

To avoid confusion between the alternate usage of weaning a child off breast/bottle. I like the new terminology, it emphasises that milk remains a necessary source of nutrition after six months of age.

Talismania Mon 15-Jun-15 19:29:59

Complementary, surely?

CrystalHaze Mon 15-Jun-15 19:31:33

Obviously a breadstick never told you that you have beautiful eyes, Talismania wink

SingSongSlummy Mon 15-Jun-15 19:32:26

Yes Talis ! Would be something very different (and quite pleasant-sounding) otherwise.

morelikeguidelines Mon 15-Jun-15 22:31:15

Yes my mum thought weaning was stopping bf, so when I started giving dd solids and said I was weaning she said "but you've already weaned her" in a very determined way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now