To not want this procedure...

(66 Posts)
Figuringitout Sun 14-Jun-15 19:30:51

I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with a breech baby. The hospital have kind of assumed that I will have an ECV (where they try to turn the baby manually) this week in order to try and avoid a c-section.
This is my second baby, although my third pregnancy as I had a tfmr last year (baby was given a 4% chance of surviving pregnancy and no possible known outcome for birth or life expectancy). I feel I need to explain that as obviously it impacts on my anxiety levels with this baby. Please don't feel the need to comment on that decision as it is still incredibly raw and painful.
I would love another water birth, but obviously this is only possible if the baby turns.
WIBU to wait and see if it turns itself, therefore avoiding potential stress for myself and the baby? I am aware that this may well result in needing a section.
Any opinion and advice welcome!

TheTertiumSquid Sun 14-Jun-15 19:34:52

No one can tell you what to do.
In your situation I would decline the ECV, and if it came to it, go straight for the c-section.
I think ECV is a bit of a rough procedure...I think you are being perfectly reasonable to decline.

lougle Sun 14-Jun-15 19:34:54

YANBU

You don't have to have an ECV. As long as you understand that you may have to have a CS if baby hasn't turned, you can watch and wait.

cnforthis Sun 14-Jun-15 19:36:10

Have you searched the talk archive for ECV and risks? (may be upsetting)

queentroutoftrouts Sun 14-Jun-15 19:37:01

YANBU.

hiddenhome Sun 14-Jun-15 19:37:55

You don't have to have any procedure that you're not comfortable with. That's basic.

A planned section is fine. If you need to have one, don't worry.

Never let them railroad you into a procedure you don't want.

freezation Sun 14-Jun-15 19:40:22

There is something you can have called moxibustion which can also help but you may be too far along for that, I'm not sure. YANBU to decline the procedure though.

VivienScott Sun 14-Jun-15 19:40:33

I'm not one for mumbo jumbo stuff. But I was in a similar situation to you, third pregnancy, second child, probably similar anxiety levels, and my baby was transverse breech, the type you can't muck about with and they don't really like you going into labour with, or certainly my hospital with my history didn't want me to.

Anyway, midwife recommended acupuncture, she said she'd seen it work so many times she couldn't not recommend it. I found a traditional Chinese herbalist acupuncture place at 36 weeks and it worked, baby turned and I had a natural, though induced, delivery.

Like I say, I'm not a big believer in this sort of stuff normally, but my midwife recommended it, and it worked for me.

littlejohnnydory Sun 14-Jun-15 19:42:41

After reading up on ECV I decided to decline the procedure. My baby turned naturally in the end.

SnotQueen Sun 14-Jun-15 19:43:08

If you aren't comfortable with it, refuse to have it.
Personally I'm with you and wouldn't have the procedure.

Elllimam Sun 14-Jun-15 19:44:26

Yabu I'm sure there was a tragic story on here related to ECV. I remember at the time making a mental note not to have it done.

hiddenhome Sun 14-Jun-15 19:47:10

I didn't think they were still doing it confused

Koalafications Sun 14-Jun-15 19:50:22

Yes, there was Ellimam

An ECV is something I was adamant I wasn't going to have.

Anomaly Sun 14-Jun-15 19:50:32

I think for me the issue with ecv is great if it works. My friend had it and it didn't work and in fact baby then had to be delivered immediately by emergency section at 36 weeks. In your shoes I would want to know how likely that scenario is. It might be better for baby and for you to just get a planned section at say 39 weeks if the baby doesn't turn by itself. You need to speak up about what you want.

Booboostoo Sun 14-Jun-15 19:52:33

EVC has a low success rate and carries significant risks, I am also surprised they are still doing it and shocked they have not informed you of risks/benefits and alternatives so you can make a choice.

ImSoCoolNow Sun 14-Jun-15 19:58:42

YANBU. Personally, I wouldn't opt for this procedure if it was offered to me but I know some people do. The main thing is that you get your baby here safely. Whether that be naturally or by C section. There's nothing wrong with going down the c section route. There is a thread in the pregnancy forum re: ECV and it is very upsetting. Good luck to you

hopeful31yrs Sun 14-Jun-15 19:58:43

If you don't want it - don't have it.

I had forceps which I said I'd never had. My DD is fine (i'm not and have problems post birth - not the reason I said i'd never have them but still a problematic outcome!) but it was an anticipated event that i'd asked for an elective c-section to avoid (history of childbirth difficulties in my mother and hers). Was made to feel belittled and bullied into my "choice" to try a natural birth. When baby got stuck after 2 hrs of pushing I was presented then as forceps as the safest choice in that emergency situation.

AlpacaMyBags Sun 14-Jun-15 20:05:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lunalovegood84 Sun 14-Jun-15 20:13:10

I wouldn't have an ECV either. You are perfectly able to decline - they can do nothing without your consent.

Hallamoo Sun 14-Jun-15 20:17:29

Completely your decision, but if you are considering it, ask for the stats on ECV at your hospital or for your consultant.

I have had 2 ECV's, for 2 separate pregnancies, the first was successful and the 2nd wasn't. For the first one, the consultant said she had performed about 2 per week for 16 years and had approx 50% success rate. She also said that she hadn't had to perform an emergency CS as a direct result of the ECV. I figured with those stats, the risk was pretty low. I had them both at 38 weeks.

After my 2nd one, which was unsuccessful, I had moxibustion at 38 weeks and my baby turned naturally at 39 weeks on the dot, and he was over 9lb at birth.

With both ECV's I was scanned before and after, and put on a monitor for 45 mins before and after.

No one can tell you what to do - but hopefully hearing other people's experiences will help.

MrsPJ Sun 14-Jun-15 20:37:15

I was in your situation and decided to go ahead with the procedure. The actual turning wasn't painful or traumatic but the build up was stressful. I had tried the advice on the spinning babies website but to no avail. Baby did turn successfully in the ECV but after not progressing in labour I ended up with an emergency c section and with hindsight wished I'd just gone with a planned c section.

MigAndMog Sun 14-Jun-15 20:37:21

I declined an ECV because I couldn't cope with the worry that I might have caused a bleed/damaged the placenta or damaged the baby when I would then have to wait a couple of weeks before it was likely to be born. I opted for a planned caesarean knowing that I was fit and healthy and likely to have a good recovery, which I did. I also had a planned caesarean for my second, also breach, baby and another smooth procedure and good recovery. Caesareans are major surgery though and carry their own risks and some people would find waiting for surgery more stressful than waiting after an ECV.

ahbollocks Sun 14-Jun-15 20:40:19

In your situation I would probably just have a planned section

RainbowSpiral Sun 14-Jun-15 20:43:58

I had an ECV just 2 weeks before due date, it didn't really hurt, just felt odd. It worked and baby stayed head down. I had a very easy birth (2nd baby) and I avoided a section. My baby was transverse at the start.

It depends on your own feelings and circumstances, but I must admit I considered saying no as I was scared and I was so glad I had ECV.

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 14-Jun-15 20:44:25

I wanted to say that I know of 2 women who had acupuncture to turn breach babies (both with success).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now