to ask if anyone has recommendations as to the "must-sees"; in Lisbon?

(14 Posts)
grovel Sun 14-Jun-15 16:38:07

Going there for a day and a half next week and would appreciate some advice.

TTWK Sun 14-Jun-15 16:43:22

Take the train out to Sintra (about 45 minutes away) and walk to the top of the castle. Then have lunch in the town square. Lots of nice stuff in Lisbon but that would be my "must do".

Bunbaker Sun 14-Jun-15 17:00:59

Sintra really is worth visiting, but it seems a shame to go to Lisbon and not see any of it. It has to be my favourite capital city. So I would concentrate on looking around Lisbon and give Sintra a miss.

1) Castelo de São Jorge, then walk down from there through the Alfama and have a lunch of freshly grilled sardines
2) Mosteiro dos Jerónimos in Belem. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and thoroughly deserves this accolade. You can also see the Torre de Belém and Padrão dos Descobrimentos
3) Museu Nacional do Azulejo. It is in an old convent, and while the idae of looking at tiles sounds a bit anoraky, it really is worth visiting.
4) Elevador de Santa Justa
5) Lisbon cathedral
6) Praça do Comércio

I would do the stuff in Belem on the half day and the rest of the sights in the middle of Lisbon on the whole day.

faitaccompli Sun 14-Jun-15 17:33:37

I spent three days sightseeing there last year. We took one of the little yellow self drive electric cars and saw all sort of things that would not normally be on the agenda (including being pushed up a hill by some pedestrians and being the focus of a LOT of photographs. We also then hired an electric vehicle and driver for half a day who took us to other areas and told us lots of non guide book info - about 50 euros for half a day.

The one place which I loved was Church of Santa Engrácia (Also known as the Pantheon). It is off the main beaten track but is definitely worth a visit - climb up to the top and enjoy the breeze after looking around the inside.

A wander around Bairro Alto is a fun way to spend half a day. If you are there in September, the Galerias Romanas is something i have always wanted to do - but never been there on the few days it is open to the public. www.10best.com/destinations/portugal/lisbon/all/attractions/galerias-romanas/

DrElizabethPlimpton Sun 14-Jun-15 17:52:42

Oh thanks OP for starting this thread. DH and I are off to Lisbon soon and I don't know anything about the place.

Can anyone recommend so lovely restaurants in the city centre too?

Chococroc Sun 14-Jun-15 17:56:19

For food Time Out's Mercado de Ribeira is a must. A food hall/market with loads of different pop up restaurants.
www.timeout.com/city-guides/time-out-mercado-da-ribeira-lisbon/

Trills Sun 14-Jun-15 17:58:00

While you are out in Belem looking at the monastary, get the PROPER custard tarts.

Chococroc Sun 14-Jun-15 17:58:10

And for a treat (but pricey) restaurant Feitoria is great, a little way out of the centre but we found it well worth the trip.

Bunbaker Sun 14-Jun-15 17:59:22

Second the custard tarts. Not to be missed.

neepsandtatties Sun 14-Jun-15 18:26:11

Yes, queue up (always a queue!) at the place Trills mentions for the best custard tarts

Nospringflower Sun 14-Jun-15 18:32:48

We hired bikes and cycled to Belem and it was a lovely thing to do - really flat so no problem with getting hot and sweaty! We used a bike hire shop that was highly rated on trip advisor and would definitely recommend them.

FFTransform Sun 14-Jun-15 18:39:33

www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/gulbenkian.html

The gulbenkian museum is in some lovely grounds and is a great building with a really nice collection, a lovely treat when we visited

Also agree about the custard tarts . . .

Bunbaker Sun 14-Jun-15 19:27:27

We visited the Gulbenkian museum and enjoyed it, but we were in Lisbon for a week. Given that the OP only has a day and a half I would prioritise places like the castle and Belem first.

carrie74 Sun 14-Jun-15 20:28:50

H and I went to Lisbon a few years ago for a significant anniversary, and because it was a precious child free few days, we tended to do slightly more adult things, so wandering around Barrio Alto (stopping for the odd shot of cherry liquor at the curious little mini shops), late nights. We were staying in Belem, so spent a bit of time there, and what you must do is eat as many Belem cakes as possible, so simple, but SO delicious!

The castle was lovely, as were the Belem sights. I think we went with no preconceptions (Lisbon doesn't tend to be on people's must do ticklist, so we really went with an open mind, and had a lovely time).

We had an amazing and memorable meal here: belcanto.pt/PT/. We've been lucky enough to eat in quite a few Michelin starred restaurants, but we still talk about this one as it was so creative. Very intimate restaurant, EVERYONE took photos of their food because it was so beautiful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now