To be scared of going alone

(12 Posts)
Headdesk Sat 13-Jun-15 15:21:50

Im 27, going into my final year of uni (mature student) and for my final project I have the opportunity of doing a documentary in India. The only problem is I'm more than likely going to have to go alone. My dp can't get the time off work (or he can but not the amount of time I am going for), a friend said she might be able to come but she has other commitments so I'm not relying on that. I am really worried about going alone, it's a 17hr flight on my own (terrified of flying) and travelling to a country that I know nothing about. I don't want to pass up this opportunity but I am really scared of travelling alone. Someone tell me I am Being stupid please.
Also any advice from people who have been to India would also be super helpful!

fiveacres Sat 13-Jun-15 15:24:33

YANBU. I would also be scared but do try and go won't you? Subbing to see any advice - we are going to India in February x

Headdesk Sat 13-Jun-15 15:26:59

I am desperate to travel and I know I will have to get over my fear of flying (I do Fly regularly but also have panic attacks on every flight I take, I'm working on it). I'm also worried because I don't know the area, I just feel more secure when I'm with someone.
This is an amazing opportunity for me and I really really do want to go.

fiveacres Sat 13-Jun-15 15:30:31

I think sometimes thinking about these things are worse than they actually are, if you get me? Hugs x

Headdesk Sat 13-Jun-15 15:33:29

Yeah definitely, I've been to various places around Europe on my own but this isn't really the same level haha! I think I'm going to have to Not over think it.

googoodolly Sat 13-Jun-15 15:59:53

Maybe ask the doctor what you can do to ease the panic? If that's your biggest fear, it would be worth dealing with that first.

I also think you need to make the effort to go - you'll regret it if you turn it down. Can you get to know some of the other people who are going and maybe team up with some of them?

Headdesk Sat 13-Jun-15 16:03:12

I'm the only one going, my school friends sister is part of a very interesting group of people and I set up a few weeks of following them around, so I would have people when I get there but not all the time. I should add that it's documentary photography not film so i just need me and my camera to do it.

Headdesk Sat 13-Jun-15 16:04:34

I definitely will talk to the dr about the flying though. It's so silly, Ive been all over Europe and to America yet I still get panic attacks on flights.

SaltySeaBird Sat 13-Jun-15 16:05:19

Could your DP just join you for the first week to help you get settled?

I've been to India; it's chaotic, crazy, scary, welcoming, beautiful and fantastic all in one. I'd happily travel there alone. Don't let the opportunity pass you by - yes it's not always the easiest destination but as long as you are sensible you will be fine.

Headdesk Sat 13-Jun-15 16:07:13

Thank you salty it's good to hear from someone who's been there.
He can come out for some of the time if he has the money, I think id rather travel over with someone and come back alone if that makes sense.

MakeItRain Sat 13-Jun-15 16:18:40

I had hypnotherapy for my fear of flying. I'm really skeptical usually but went on the recommendation of a friend. It worked! Hope the trip works out for you.

Headdesk Sat 13-Jun-15 16:19:45

Thanks I'll look into that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now