to think coronation street are totally pathetic, running a breaved mother childsnatcher storyline, FFS

(52 Posts)
catswag Fri 12-Jun-15 21:40:29

please isolate us all even more please stigmatise us
as all deranged child snatchers
as if we don't have enough to deal with day to day as it is

angry

AnyoneForTennis Fri 12-Jun-15 21:41:56

Oh come on! It's just a crappy soap!

SpendSpendSpend Fri 12-Jun-15 21:43:08

Yabu

You can say that about many of the soap story lines.

Stealthpolarbear Fri 12-Jun-15 21:44:09

Yanbu it's a lazy stereotype and feeds people's prejudices

Stealthpolarbear Fri 12-Jun-15 21:44:39

Ps I'm sorry you used the word "we"

catswag Fri 12-Jun-15 21:45:53

it is not just a crappy soap, its something millions watch and it just compounds the isolation

also some people these horrific things are real life not story lines

AnyoneForTennis Fri 12-Jun-15 21:47:21

You are taking it wayyyyy too seriously

msgrinch Fri 12-Jun-15 21:47:23

yabu

catswag Fri 12-Jun-15 21:47:32

thanks stealth, it's also just so dull
your right it totally feeds into people prejudices

catswag Fri 12-Jun-15 21:50:15

when your the one standing there when everyones staring at you, to see how you react to say being introduced to a new baby or whatever then you can say your taking it too seriously
when you've walked in these shoes you can judge

AnyoneForTennis Fri 12-Jun-15 21:51:58

Yabu

FreudiansSlipper Fri 12-Jun-15 21:55:17

catswag I am sorry this has made you feel this way

many story lines will bring up difficult feelings for others but agree this is lazy stereotyping, if they wanted to portray the pain of a bereaved parent or parents they could have done with a more sensitive storyline but it might not be as sensational

and please lets show some empathy here yes its aibu but that does not mean empathy can not be shown

itsatrap Fri 12-Jun-15 21:56:14

Yanbu. Agree with stealth. I am sorry for your loss.

fiveacres Fri 12-Jun-15 21:56:56

I am inclined to think you are perhaps being a bit unreasonable but I certainly hope I can tell you this in a more gentle way then some! This lady has lost a CHILD FFS! Bit of compassion?

soverylucky Fri 12-Jun-15 21:58:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Fri 12-Jun-15 21:58:30

Yabu to watch this shite.

cogitosum Fri 12-Jun-15 22:00:55

Yanbu. I recall a similar thread when eastenders did this storyline and I remember someone saying I don't want a baby, I want my baby back. It implies that babies / children are interchangeable.

I'm so sorry for your loss flowers

BeaufortBelle Fri 12-Jun-15 22:02:32

The Corrie story is ridiculous.

Catswag it's ok to feel like you are feeling. Emotions are heightened by grief. In time you will come to terms with this and the things that used to be every day will stop hurting.

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 12-Jun-15 22:03:56

Also sorry for your loss. But seriously - YABU because all of these programmes - Corrie, EastEnders, Emmereffindale - they're all the biggest pile of steaming dung ever. They're kept alive by playing out ghastly storylines based on hideous lazy unthinking stereotypes. If people didn't watch they'd have to up their game.

fiveacres Fri 12-Jun-15 22:04:51

YY cogito

I think a more interesting take on the Jenny Bradley story would have been extreme anxiety or overprotection.

I should write for Corrie. My calling is wasted.

But op - flowers

And do not ever let anyone make you feel bad for feeling whatever the hell you want to feel. I can't even think about your shoes, as it hurts too much. So Christ knows how you get through.

catswag Fri 12-Jun-15 22:05:51

that ok, I don't want sympathy although appreciate the gestureflowers
just want these shitty types of storylines to end
ffs there was even s shitty stillbirth storyline on last tango in Halifax, wasn't that written by kay mellor? thought better of her tbh
it was all oh lets not talk about the baby, and referring to the baby as the incident
compound the myth that stillbirth/neonatal death etc is not something to talk about

LD29 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:08:07

I'm so sorry for the loss you've had. You mustn't deny your feelings. Everyone is different, and you are still angry. And u are entitled to be. Soaps are always extreme- we watch them to feel like their lives are worse than our own. Nobody has the right to dismiss your feelings on the matter. Let's hope I never walk a day in your shoes sad

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:15:37

Thing is, if you're a soap watcher, you're constantly watching storylines that stereotype and exploit traumatic experiences of other people. You can't really complain when the storyline affects and upsets you if you are fine with all the ones that affect and upset others.
And if people stopped watching these horrible programmes that seem based entirely on gawking at human misery-as-entertainment, they wouldn't exist. So its the audiences fault really.

CoogerAndDark Fri 12-Jun-15 22:15:49

Yanbu. They have to fill multiple slots per week and keep viewers so they they rely on lazy stereotypes. They are a pile of outdated shite and Christ knows where people park their brains before they switch them on.

Samcro Fri 12-Jun-15 22:16:43

yabu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now