To be fed up of present Government blaming last Government

(27 Posts)
morage Thu 11-Jun-15 22:48:15

I am watching Newsnight and yet again heard a Conservative representative blame the last Labour Government, for a currently negative situation. This is a tactic I have heard so many times.
So AIBU after 5 years of Conservative Government, to get fed up of them still blaming the Labour Government for anything that is going wrong?

MajesticWhine Thu 11-Jun-15 22:49:43

YANBU. I think that argument is probably past its expiry date now.

Iggly Thu 11-Jun-15 22:51:07

Yanbu

Even if it were true it just smacks of laziness. Take ownership!

imwithspud Thu 11-Jun-15 22:57:01

Yanbu, it's very boring at this point.

LapsedTwentysomething Thu 11-Jun-15 23:08:25

YANBU. In a professional context ir wouldn't wash for longer than a year.

emwithme Thu 11-Jun-15 23:20:58

I'm sick of people on the left still blaming everything that's possibly wrong with the world on the Thatcher government - and that ended 25 years ago.

AuntieStella Thu 11-Jun-15 23:23:02

Good point emwithme !

Though given the scale of what happened, I'm not surprised the shadow is long. And the only reason we still have cuts is that repairs are still needed (after all, Labour manifesto said that too).

AyeAmarok Thu 11-Jun-15 23:41:32

I play bingo with this phrase with every single Tory interview I listen to.

Dimbleby should ban it from being said on QT.

Icimoi Thu 11-Jun-15 23:42:40

YANBU. If they haven't managed to sort the issue out after 5 years they shouldn't be in government.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 12-Jun-15 00:03:47

Dunno, almost to the end of the last Labour Government, they were still blaming everything on "18 years of Tory mis-rule". What's sauce for the goose, and all that. I do think, however, that whichever side uses it, it is a poor excuse for a political point but the Labour MP who griped about it at PMQs yesterday sounded daft, as she had obviously forgotten how much the reverse had been used.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 12-Jun-15 00:04:47

Also, what emwith said.

longfingernails Fri 12-Jun-15 00:05:07

YABU.

Labour are economically incontinent and it is incumbent of every politician to remind us of this at every opportunity. Every Labour government in history has left Britain on the brink of bankruptcy.

morage Fri 12-Jun-15 10:39:32

Not true longfingernails.

But I know if I was still blaming my predecessor in my job after five years, I would expect to get thoroughly criticised for it.

Justanotherlurker Fri 12-Jun-15 10:44:51

I agree, but your naive if you think this is just a conservative problem.

Labour were doing exactly the same in the early stages of there second term, and the recent hot topic of social housing is conveniently whitewashing 13 years of Labour government and still blaming the Tories.

Its the problem with 2 party politics where basically all everyone is doing is tinkering round the edges.

Hi5Hello Fri 12-Jun-15 10:45:34

Ditto what emwithme

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Fri 12-Jun-15 10:47:06

Like Labour never blamed the Tories.

And no, 5 years wasn't long enough to sort it all out, which is why I voted to keep them in for another 5.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Fri 12-Jun-15 10:47:45

They all do it, it's like the answer the bloody question that none of then are capable of

HereIAm20 Fri 12-Jun-15 11:08:07

What i know am said ^

DoraGora Fri 12-Jun-15 11:13:04

meh, while I agree with your sentiment, OP, I rather fear that it's the stuff of two party politics. My solution is to avoid all media debates and commentaries. They're elephant shit.

Timetodrive Fri 12-Jun-15 11:20:15

Depends what the subject matter is, if it is RBS the I do not think labour has a leg to stand on.

Downtheroadfirstonleft Fri 12-Jun-15 11:25:45

YABU, the Labour government left our economy in an unholy mess.

alrayyan Fri 12-Jun-15 11:27:48

Labour still blame Thatcher

morage Fri 12-Jun-15 11:46:34

I do think social housing issues are caused by the sell off of council houses under Thatcher. But Labour did nothing about it.

merrymouse Fri 12-Jun-15 11:52:42

Come on, you can't expect the incumbent government not to not blame the previous government. It's tradition! You'll be arguing that their plans don't have to be announced by an oap in a sparkly hat next!

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 12-Jun-15 13:31:53

YANBU, since the Conservative were not obliged to continue with badly thought out Labour policies, or to implement them with such glee in the case of benefit 'reforms' etc. But as long as people who don't understand economics continue to vote, we will get either Conservative or right leaning Labour. So, throughout our lifetimes at any rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now