To think DH won't get another job without 2 references?

(16 Posts)
AliceScarlett Thu 11-Jun-15 18:59:12

DH works for a charity, there is a lot of talk of redundancy and he wants to get a new job in the same sector (health and social care). Trouble is his job before this one was gardening, he was seriously injured and sued the employer, no contact now and no reference.
So many jobs ask for 3 references.... his chances of getting another job are really reduced because of this arnt they? How do other people get around this? He cant be the only one!
His job before that was relevant and he might be able to get a reference from there but is not what employers are asking for confused

ActiviaYoghurt Thu 11-Jun-15 19:05:45

Of course people get jobs without two references, otherwise how would anyone get a third job?

Gardening reference would be fine or how about a really good character reference?

Purplevicki Thu 11-Jun-15 19:14:25

Yep. Character reference is the way forward. Especially if it was from someone with 'good standing' (ie someone who can sign off passport and driving licence applications)

mileend2bermondsey Thu 11-Jun-15 19:16:01

I think it depends on what level job he's going for, how much responsibility/senoirity the role has. I've had loads of jobs in the past where references were ased for but never checked and a few where they were never even asked.

Youre attitude that hes never going to get a job without references certainly isnt helpfull though.

mileend2bermondsey Thu 11-Jun-15 19:16:43

asked* your*

ftmsoon Thu 11-Jun-15 19:21:23

I've been in my job so long that I gave two references from there when I was job hunting last year. One from previous job was completely irrelevant as soooo long ago.

queenofthepirates Thu 11-Jun-15 19:33:06

You could just be up front and say he left on poor terms after a workplace accident (perhaps no mention of suing). I left my last but one job and had to reach a compromise agreement with my employer. At the next job, I just didn't list them as a referee and went back to a previous job where I knew I'd get a better reference.

Littlef00t Thu 11-Jun-15 19:47:14

I gave two references from my last place of employment as I'd been there 8 years straight from uni. I'd offer one from charity and another character reference, a colleague from before or someone he's worked with in a professional capacity. That's fine.

Fluffyears Thu 11-Jun-15 20:04:43

When I started one job onecompany I worked for previously had re-located and everyone had taken redundancy so I got a good friend (good job can sign passports) to write a character reference. She basically said u was honest, trustworthy, reliable etc

DidoTheDodo Thu 11-Jun-15 20:07:31

I usually give my current (or most recent previous) employer, plus an ex colleague from the same sector (I am also in charity world) who can vouch for my day to day work.

Fluffcake Thu 11-Jun-15 22:51:33

He could get 2 from current employer. One from line manager and from either colleague as a character type reference or from hr dept stating dates of employment.

Haffdonga Thu 11-Jun-15 23:02:25

Why can't he get 2 references? {confused]
Current employer + colleague + friend + employer before gardener + line manager + anyone else who has known him for more than 2 or so years.
He's got loads of choice. smile

Salmotrutta Thu 11-Jun-15 23:07:01

Agree with others:

One from direct line manager then another from someone higher up - both from his present job.

Quite common!

ilovesooty Thu 11-Jun-15 23:08:11

I agree. Two from his current job.

HFarnsworth20 Thu 11-Jun-15 23:09:41

I wouldn't worry too much. Most places will only ask for two - I recently changed jobs and applied for a managerial post, and was only asked for two referees.

Pumpkinpositive Thu 11-Jun-15 23:12:33

I have been self employed most of my adult life, with temporary spells of employment. I have had only one period of actual salaried employment within the last ten years, so anything outside of that time frame is too long ago to go on a reference.

When applying for jobs, I give the most recent salaried job as a reference, and then a character reference. I sometimes ask clients for references, if I've worked with them for over a long period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now