Camera on a school trip . Year 3.

(18 Posts)
ItsTricky Wed 10-Jun-15 13:25:35

My dd is year 3 and has a school trip in a few weeks. On the letter it says they can take a camera. AIBU to think this is unnecessary?

I can imagine the teachers spending time sorting out camera problems, dealing with children upset because battery has run out, memory has run out, they've dropped it, left it somewhere etc

Our camera is quite a decent one so there's no way dd is taking it. I'd get a disposable one but they are a faff and take rubbish pics. ALL her friends are taking digital ones apparently hmm and she's nagging to do the same, I could really do without the nagging.

It's a big responsibility being in charge of a camera and I think 7/8 year olds are too young. Surely the teachers could take pics for the children too all enjoy after the trip?

steff13 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:30:08

Well, it's up to the teachers if they want to deal with the potential camera issues; certainly they wouldn't have suggested it if they thought it would be a problem.

If you're so inclined, you could get her a disposable camera, or buy a cheap digital one for her to use. If not, you just have to tell her no, and deal with the nagging.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 10-Jun-15 13:33:13

Why not buy her one of her own?
Either a cheap own-brand one from an aldi type place, or a second hand one from somewhere like cash converters.
If you go down the 'big girl' route, she might be so 'proud' to have one for herself, that she looks after it.
Make sure it has new batteries and a decent card.
She will enjoy taking pictures if she is anything like my kids.
And if she does lose it, lesson learned. And no harm to,your decent camera!

WorraLiberty Wed 10-Jun-15 13:39:13

The majority will be 8yrs old and I don't think that's too young for a camera.

Of course they're unnecessary but it's fun to take photos.

Bramshott Wed 10-Jun-15 13:41:59

We have an old digital camera (2003 vintage) stashed away for this sort of thing. When DD2 (also 8) took it on her school residential she took 80 photos in the first hour and used up all the battery, but no-one had to help her with it, she just stashed it away and didn't use it after that. Several friends took disposable cameras, and some didn't take one at all.

Summerisle1 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:42:38

I'm not sure that 7/8 year olds are too young for a camera - at 8 I had my own camera and I grew up to be a professional photographer! However, I would question whether all your dd's friends are taking a digital camera with them! I suspect that's just a handy way of trying to force your hand. But if you can get a cheap digital camera and send it with her I would. If you'd prefer not to then yes, you'll have to deal with the nagging.

PatriciaHolm Wed 10-Jun-15 13:44:00

Our trips don't allow proper cameras (or phones or anything else electronic) but they can take disposable cameras. I have had to explain to DSL that he won't be able to see the photos until we send it for processing which he thought was very funny!

I don't think even cheap electronics are necessary on a school trip to be honest. Photos are nice to have but if it's anything like our school's trips they won't really have time to take lots anyway.

KumquatMay Wed 10-Jun-15 13:45:53

You want other children to not take cameras so that you don't have to handle your DD wanting to take one? Seriously, it's really not a big deal. Either say no, or buy her a disposable - not sure why they're a faff?

The teacher hasn't asked them to bring cameras or even recommended that they do so - just said that they're allowed. How you handle it from thereon in is really your issue - don't blame the teacher for a) the fact you don't want her to take yours (a sensible decision IMO), b) the fact you think disposables are a faff, c) the fact that DD's nagging you, d) you're unwilling to say a blanket 'no'

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I send them with a disposable camera, that way if anything happens to it, its not a major problem.

TheFirstOfHerName Wed 10-Jun-15 13:49:17

With the older two, we ended up spending a fair amount of money on disposable cameras for school trips and film development. The quality of the photos wasn't great, and they were limited in the number they could take.

We bought our younger two children a digital camera each for their 8th birthday. Spent about £30 on each. Now nearly 11, they still use them regularly. They can take little videos with them and DS3 also does stop-motion animation, using a small gorilla tripod. They have taken them on every school trip, as well as holidays and day trips. The school just states that children are responsible for their own cameras. On primary school trips and Cub camps they aren't allowed phones, but they are allowed a camera that is just a camera.

Soduthen116 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:51:27

I think she will probably be able to handle a disposable one though. She's 8. Shouldn't imagine the rest of the class will have anything much better anyway and if so more stupid the parents.

ItsTricky Wed 10-Jun-15 14:19:53

Ok thanks all. This is child number three and it's the first time I've come across this. In fact, school trip letters usually say no phones or cameras and sometimes no money or a limited amount of money.

Dd loves taking photos and uses our camera or one of our phones, with us around should she need help. However, taking a camera on a school trip would not have entered her head if it hadn't been written in the letter. I just don't think it's a necessary part of a school trip. Dd isn't that reliable when it comes to looking after things but I guess some 7/8 year olds are a lot more mature than others.

Reading your replies though has made me see a camera of her own would be fun for her. I had a quick look at Argos and they have some for £20, I actually had no idea they were that inexpensive, not really that much more than buying a disposable one and paying for processing.

Offler Wed 10-Jun-15 14:43:58

DD is 8 and has been taking her camera on trips for a couple of years, she has this one: Olympus Tough it's an old spare (DP is camera crazy...) but virtually unkillable. Good battery life, you can turn down the pixels to get more pics and bung in a decent memory card!

WorraLiberty Wed 10-Jun-15 14:48:23

Not everything in a child's life has to be necessary though.

Some things are just fun.

SistersofPercy Wed 10-Jun-15 15:01:46

Ahh the good old days of school trips and cameras.

I still have the photo's from DD's first trip with a disposable camera aged 5. It was to a small wildlife park nearby. I have 23 photos of the same monkey and one of her feet.
Still causes much laughter now when we come across them in the cupboard and she's nearly 18.

Give her a camera. The amusement lasts forever.

TwinkieTwinkle Wed 10-Jun-15 15:07:33

I second what Worra said. DS would be thrilled if he was allowed to take his camera on a school trip!

SewingBox Wed 10-Jun-15 15:10:54

If you don't think It's necessary or desirable, say no.

I'd buy a cheap digital one rather than a disposable one. By the time you've paid for developing the photo, she only has to use it a couple of time without losing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now