To wonder why other people want you to take medication?

(14 Posts)
Sandunesaltyair Mon 08-Jun-15 18:55:47

My brother has been like this as long as I can remember.

I mention feeling a bit sick.

'I've got these, do you want to try them?

When I say no, he says 'ohhhh, you (insert some reason or other)' I think he thinks I have an aversion to taking meds.

He constantly tries to get me to take them. I guess I was wondering how 'normal' it is?

PoppyBlossom Mon 08-Jun-15 18:59:10

What kind of things is he suggesting? Over the counter general meds? I've grown up with a no nonsense approach from my doctor mother, never wanted to hear of any complaints until Id taken a dose of medicine for whatever ailment it was I had. I think a lot of people just think you have a problem, here's something that can fix it, take it or leave it but stop with the moaning!

Sandunesaltyair Mon 08-Jun-15 19:03:46

Medication he's been prescribed, mainly.

PuppyMonkey Mon 08-Jun-15 19:03:52

Yes MIL does this - she has tablets for all sorts including "leftover" antibiotics.

DP mentioned he was stressed once and she have him a packet of her antidepressants. shock

He didn't accept them.

Sandunesaltyair Mon 08-Jun-15 19:05:11

Yes, that's what my brother does - has loads of stuff knocking about and you can't have a cold without it being foisted on you.

PtolemysNeedle Mon 08-Jun-15 19:05:21

I have a colleague who is forever moaning about her headache or her hayfever or her back ache. She too refuses to take any medication, instead preferring to complain and behave like a martyr. It's irritating, and she deserves no sympathy, but people do still try and encourage her to take some medication in an attempt to stop the moaning.

Does he do this with other things - if you say you have a minor problem, does he instantly offer a solution? Or is it just with things where he can offer medication?

I ask because Dh has a tendency to see any mention of a minor complaint or problem as a request for him to 'solve' it - whereas it might just be that I'd like a bit of sympathy, or a whinge into a listening ear.

Sandunesaltyair Mon 08-Jun-15 19:06:33

I can see how this would be frustrating if people are always moaning, but it isn't the case here.

NotCitrus Mon 08-Jun-15 19:08:39

Depends what it is.
I have family and colleagues who complain about having a cold or usually a headache.
Have you drunk some water and taken a paracetamol dose for the headache (and stopped staring at your computer for a few minutes?)?
No?
Well stop whinging then.

If he's suggesting random prescription-only meds on the other hand, then keep saying no even if he thinks he's being helpful by trying not to waste spare meds - he should take them back to the pharmacy for disposal as some can be reused or remade.

Sandunesaltyair Mon 08-Jun-15 19:09:40

He just has a real 'thing' about medication. I had sciatica recently but I was working and managing painfully

I only mentioned it and I was turning away pain relief weeks later.

Gottagetmoving Mon 08-Jun-15 19:13:04

My DP does this. I will say that I have a headache or feel off colour,..and he always asks if I have taken anything or suggests I need paracetamol. If I mention I have a tickly throat he always tells me to take Strepsils ( which his mother always made him take) and every time, I tell him Strepsils are rubbish because I have tried them before. Doesn't stop him suggesting them again next time though.
The only solution is to never ever mention any ailment unless it's serious grin

Icelandicsuperyoghurt Mon 08-Jun-15 19:38:57

Oh heck! I do this. I think it's because I don't want people to be in pain so immediately go into "Have you had ibuprofen/paracetamol/vapour rub/throat sweet etc. I never even thought how annoying it could be. I shall try remember not to in future.

Aridane Mon 08-Jun-15 22:28:03

I have a colleague who is forever moaning about her headache or her hayfever or her back ache. She too refuses to take any medication, instead preferring to complain and behave like a martyr. It's irritating, and she deserves no sympathy, but people do still try and encourage her to take some medication in an attempt to stop the moaning.

Yes, yes!

Sandunesaltyair Mon 08-Jun-15 22:29:35

I don't think anyone said it was annoying, Icelandic.

Did they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now