To not want to start doing DIY at tea time?

(10 Posts)
ShadowFire Mon 08-Jun-15 17:42:08

Briefly. DH wants me to start helping him do some DIY in the garden now, which involves moving piles of rubble, and will take (I estimate) several hours to complete.

I don't want to start this DIY now. I want to make tea for DC (3.10 yrs and 21 months) and start their bedtime routine. This is being interpreted as me not wanting to do hard work, because it'll be too late in the evening for the DIY by the time DC are settled in bed.

DH works long hours so doesn't have much time to do all this himself. Although he was in bed until almost noon today, and home along all afternoon while I was running errands in town with DC in tow.

AIBU?

RB68 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:45:09

Not in my book.

steff13 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:45:39

You're not being unreasonable. What hours does he work? Couldn't this have been completed on the weekend?

LazyLouLou Mon 08-Jun-15 17:48:33

Tell him to offsod. He had all day, the kids need feeding.

Daft bugger!

Chchchchangeabout Mon 08-Jun-15 18:04:38

Can he chunk the bigger task down into smaller bits so you can get some done before dinner

ShadowFire Mon 08-Jun-15 18:11:13

He can't do any DIY on a typical working day because he gets home too late.

He's been off work yesterday and today this week, but didn't do any of the DIY yesterday.

I'm making dinner for the kids now.

AlternativeTentacles Mon 08-Jun-15 18:15:13

'Not at tea and bed time no. Why didn't you do it when you were not at work at the weekend?'

woowoo22 Mon 08-Jun-15 18:19:59

YANBU. How odd.

CindeFuckinRella Mon 08-Jun-15 18:52:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Laladeepsouth Mon 08-Jun-15 19:11:18

No, YANBU. Nip it in the bud! This asking/expecting you to drop everything when he has suddenly decided to delve into a project will just continue and grow if you give in now. Some men enjoy doing projects alone or, if they need "help," at an agreed upon time; unfortunately, some like to wing it time-wise and then make a huge production of it. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now