To ask if you have a long-term plan/strategy for your care needs when you are elderly

(6 Posts)
futureburnsbrightly Sun 07-Jun-15 22:08:10

I'm a sprightly 30 year old, child-free by choice. NC with my birth family which I'm very happy with.

I'm a mature student (dead-end but Ok day job) and hope to have a proper fulfilling career when I qualify.

My quality of life now is excellent although I think I may focus more on savings, getting a place of my own as I get closer to 40. I'd love to move abroad.

I'm single and like dating, I'd like a partner at some point too.

Been doing an online course on the science of aging, and there is a lot of attention paid to the fact that life expectancy is rising, so there may be a lot of time as an elderly person with (possibly deteriorating) health but a lot of years to go.

I don't want to be Methusaleh but I am concerned about quality of life as I age.

Is there anything I should be thinking about right now? I know there is advice to Get a Pension asap, but I haven't really had that much spare cash and won't for a while yet.

gamerchick Sun 07-Jun-15 22:15:33

I'm going to commit a crime that will see me in prison for the rest of my days. No need for money then wink

That's no help I know just couldn't resist.

Me and the husband have been discussing this very thing recently.

ilikebaking Sun 07-Jun-15 22:17:12

I don't know if I have a plan as such.
25, a DH, private pension, work pension, health insurance and own home...

Euphemia Sun 07-Jun-15 23:01:21

I'm retiring to California and living disgracefully, then dying under some young hunk.

Euphemia Sun 07-Jun-15 23:02:44

No, seriously, I have a teacher's pension and I pay 20% of my salary in additional contributions. Beyond that, Cali ... wink

Klayden Sun 07-Jun-15 23:07:55

I have chronic health problems, so hopefully I will die before I'm too old. If not, I've got my fingers crossed that euthanasia will be legal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now