To be highly irritated by neighbour that keeps displaying banners outside their house

(80 Posts)
conniedescending Sun 07-Jun-15 18:22:59

A neighbour on our road displays a banner on their house almost all of the time with a written message. Their supposed to be 'humerous' messages but make the area seem downmarket and it's less than salubrious as it is.

People in cars can read them and there's been accidents on the road before because people are rubber necking as they go past.

Every time a new msg goes up i get a batshit rage come on and have plans to get a ladder in the night and rip the fucking thing down.

CatthiefKeith Sun 07-Jun-15 18:24:37

Can't say whether YABU or not without more detail.

What exactly do they say?

ButEmilylovedhim Sun 07-Jun-15 18:24:50

What do they say?

CaptainAnkles Sun 07-Jun-15 18:24:54

I'm surprised somebody hasn't had words with him about it if it's already caused accidents. Could you ask a PCSO to talk to him about taking it down?

Coconutty Sun 07-Jun-15 18:27:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThingummyJigg Sun 07-Jun-15 18:29:55

1. speak to your local council - a lot of streets have rules about what you can and can't have going on at the front of your house

2. set up your own banner saying PUT THAT CUNTING BANNER DOWN YOU FUCKING ARSEHOLE

3. steal the banner in the dead of night

4. also speak to your other neighbours and see if they are also appalled

5. move house

If any of their banners have been poorly spelt, punctuated etc., all of mumsnet will be with you. And you must correct the fucking thing with your red paint brush.

and yes please, examples of what they say

conniedescending Sun 07-Jun-15 18:30:01

Ok...I can't remember what the current one says but it's something about skids in tracksuit bottoms.

ConferencePear Sun 07-Jun-15 18:30:11

There should be a bye law stating what size of public notices you can display. It might be worth asking what it is.

Hygge Sun 07-Jun-15 18:31:27

This is the reason why I don't think I'd be allowed to build the giant squid DS wants us to put on our roof.

emmelinelucas Sun 07-Jun-15 18:32:21

Phone 101.
Are there children involved ?
MH issues ?
We need to be told

MamaLazarou Sun 07-Jun-15 18:33:12

YANBU! They sound awful!

conniedescending Sun 07-Jun-15 18:34:01

There has been bad grammar before...the Xmas themed one was unbearable. And David Cameron was spelled Camaron onceangry

conniedescending Sun 07-Jun-15 18:35:07

Not sure I can phone the police about a banner grin don't want to be on one of those programmes!

holdyourown Sun 07-Jun-15 18:37:06

I rather admire their eccentricity tbh

ItsRainingInBaltimore Sun 07-Jun-15 18:38:03

I used to know a family who lived very close to some religious nutters enthusiasts who did this. They had several huge professionally made plasticised banners that were the width of their house and they strung them up across the guttering from end to end, with messages about God and Satan and repenting and heaven and hell and suchlike.

If I'd been their NDN I'd have put a bloody brick through their window out of sheer frustration I think.

I imagine you can complain to the council and ask for them to be removed, but it might just be one of those things you have no choice but to live with.

BloodyUserName Sun 07-Jun-15 18:39:54

Eek OP I know exactly the road you live on!! Those banners are bloody idiotic.

usualsuspect333 Sun 07-Jun-15 18:40:29

We often pass a house with banners like that up. You don't live somewhere beginning with L do you?

BloodyUserName Sun 07-Jun-15 18:44:06

The bloody mannequin in high vis was worse though

emmelinelucas Sun 07-Jun-15 18:44:58

Seriously - phone the newsdesk at your local newspaper. It would make a good story.
Why has it not been noted before, though , if the banner is causing accidents ? (by being looked at)

raffle Sun 07-Jun-15 18:45:10

How big are the banners?
Are they proper professionally printed ones? Or painted on old bed sheets?
What is their purpose?
I'm intrigued, never heard of anyone doing this before.

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Sun 07-Jun-15 18:48:12

There's a house in Leicester that does that. They are occasionally mildly amusing but I often wander who can be arsed to put them up and how their neighbours haven't throttled them!

usualsuspect333 Sun 07-Jun-15 18:51:24

Yes, Macca. That's where I've seen them.

conniedescending Sun 07-Jun-15 18:52:37

Yes I do live in L in an area beginning with N? They are usually black painted letters on white sheeting and look like they take a while to do. We've also had stuffed dummies before ' acting out the scene' but thankfully not always.

I'm liking the idea of a counter banner but don't want to encourage further

ginmakesitallok Sun 07-Jun-15 18:52:52

Is it this one??www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=k4R0VYPZHoGR7Aa4y4DwAw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DvXsVkMOwxwI&ved=0CCMQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNEbeRn7PRZPqsf3yP-jYSOh6HJs-w

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Sun 07-Jun-15 18:55:10

That's right. If you do a counter one though, what if the whole street starts? It could lead to mayhem, not to mention the accidents. That road is backed up when I go in the morning so I usually have time to read that weeks missives. Maybe LCC could get involved?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now