to have had it with my parents?

(74 Posts)
CliniqueChubbyStick Sat 06-Jun-15 20:11:34

My other thread is here.

I'm just about to graduate as a teacher. I thought I could stand being at home for this year, but I'm really losing my mind.

My parents wouldn't allow me to take out a student loan. In Scotland you have to show parent's earnings for the loan, so because they wouldn't provide the paperwork, I'm stuck.

I couldn't work for this year because I was doing the PGDE and it was too intense. Thankfully I had savings but they are gone.

My parents have now admitted that they kept behind £1k of my inheritance from my grandparents. They won't give it to me angry. They keep saying that I can wait until I get my first full pay in September to buy a car.

I am so close to fucking tears and I don't know what to do. I have no money. I'm stuck here with them.

cashewnutty Sat 06-Jun-15 20:38:24

Why don't you get a temporary summer job to tide you over until you start you teaching job? Maybe waitressing or bar work? I am assuming you have teaching job to go to?

CliniqueChubbyStick Sat 06-Jun-15 20:45:23

I've been looking for summer work but because I have a job to go, no one will take me on, which is really frustrating.

Someone recommended Kumon, or tutoring, but I can't get around easily without a car.

littlejohnnydory Sat 06-Jun-15 20:46:57

Temporary job (temp agency, seasonal work?) And cheap room in shared house until you get on your feet? Seasonal work that comes with accommodation?

funchum8am Sat 06-Jun-15 20:47:33

Don't the holidays start this month, or early July, in Scotland? Could you get a bar job or work at a residential summer camp? It sounds awful - withholding the inheritance is surely illegal. Can you find out which solicitor dealt with the will and speak to them about whether you have any recourse to help (or at least say you will do this to your parents, because I bet any steps you can take would involve paying a solicitor!)

Are you in a teaching union? Try their legal section or see if they have hardship funds?

I think I'd seek out that residential camp to be honest!!

littlejohnnydory Sat 06-Jun-15 20:48:00

Would you be eligible for a bank loan or career development loan if you have proof of a job to go to?

fiveacres Sat 06-Jun-15 20:48:39

Care work is easy to come by - minimum wage though.

peacoat Sat 06-Jun-15 20:50:30

Can you not contact PGL or something like that and see if you can get some work over summer?

Or work for a local authority for holiday summer schools and respite care etc?

CliniqueChubbyStick Sat 06-Jun-15 20:50:41

I was looking for summer out-of-school care jobs too, but they all said that recruitment was early in the year. I might have to try bar work, although I'd rather not.

I just find it so frustrating that I do have money and they won't give it to me!

My union membership hasn't been confirmed from student-teacher membership yet, annoyingly.

LaLyra Sat 06-Jun-15 20:53:14

Was your grandmother's wishes for you to have the inheritance specified in her will? Who was the executor of the will?

If you are done with them, and I wouldn't blame you because financially abusive is abusive, then a legal letter/advice about the money might help? Not following the will properly is a huge legal issue for the executor if you kick up.

manchestermummy Sat 06-Jun-15 20:53:29

Can you not just get a job and hand in your notice in a couple of months? And keep quiet about the September job not that I've never done anything similar

cashewnutty Sat 06-Jun-15 20:55:10

It does seem weird your parents have money that is yours and won't give it to you. Have you asked them why?

peacoat Sat 06-Jun-15 20:55:48

Overdraft? Credit card?

TBH if you could get hold of around £800 I'd nip off to south of France and do the Camino de Santiago. It's cheap, takes just over a month and would be a good escape.

CliniqueChubbyStick Sat 06-Jun-15 20:55:56

I don't know the specifics of the will at all- I was only 10 when she died. I don't even know who the executor was, because my father isn't the oldest child.

It's pretty obvious that I'll have a job, because I have my PGDE on my CV. Maybe I shouldn't?

peacoat Sat 06-Jun-15 20:56:32

Ah, but you may not have landed a job yet, see? wink

CliniqueChubbyStick Sat 06-Jun-15 20:57:20

They are sooooo tight with money. They keep saying 'Just wait until you get your pay, then you can use it properly' hmm

South of France sounds fab. I literally have £80 in my bank account though!

ethelb Sat 06-Jun-15 20:57:22

Career development loan? Then a solictor?

CliniqueChubbyStick Sat 06-Jun-15 20:57:55

Scottish NQTs are guaranteed a job for 1 year.

Never thought I'd see that as a bad thing!

bunchoffives Sat 06-Jun-15 20:58:24

Hang on, why do they want you to wait until September?

peacoat Sat 06-Jun-15 20:58:39

Oh bugger! Seriously, can you not talk to your bank and get some kind of line of credit?

CliniqueChubbyStick Sat 06-Jun-15 21:00:39

I think it's some sort of perverse value for money thing. I really don't know.

I might have to threaten to go to the bank and see if that persuades them to give me my money.

traviata Sat 06-Jun-15 21:01:36

you might still be just in time for a summer camp job, if you get your skates on;

for example

or here

funchum8am Sat 06-Jun-15 21:01:38

Try the camps again - they will be desperate to replace people who signed up but have dropped out (many because the PGDE has nearly killed them and they are too tired!). Also try Eurocamp and similar, plus places like Crieff Hydro - they positively do not want you for the autumn as they will be quiet when school starts again.

timelyreminder Sat 06-Jun-15 21:02:03

Would any of the student services be helpful? Do the careers service have details of summer jobs, or does the student union help with advice on financial difficulties?

roughtyping Sat 06-Jun-15 21:02:28

OP are you central belt? I picked up bar work and call centre work in the summer between PGDE and probation year. Are you able to get to probation school without a car? I assume you know LA if not school yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now