Dh never drinks all his tea/coffee

(53 Posts)
ItsTricky Sat 06-Jun-15 17:06:50

He always has to leave a little bit. I always have to remember to empty his mug into the sink before putting into the dishwasher or I get splashback. Most of his family leave a bit too. Dh has no explanation for this other than 'It's what I've always done'.

I don't get it. aibu to think this is daft?

Maybe there's some perfectly logical reason I'm totally missing confused

Iloveonionchutney Sat 06-Jun-15 17:08:04

My parents do this with their tea, as they've always done it and they say it's from the days of loose tea where you'd have the bits left in the bottom of the cup.

Mrsjayy Sat 06-Jun-15 17:09:04

I do it to im not sure why blush drives my dh nuts

nemno Sat 06-Jun-15 17:09:24

This is very common with people who used to use loose tea leaves, some always escape the strainer.

Starlightbright1 Sat 06-Jun-15 17:09:29

I do this too..No idea why

Taytocrisps Sat 06-Jun-15 17:09:59

I'm guilty of this. I drink some of it, then I get caught up in a juicy thread on MN need to get out more and next thing I know, it's gone cold sad.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sat 06-Jun-15 17:10:19

I don't either. I'm known as 'half a cup (surname)' because of it. For me it goes back to the days when I took sugar and the bottom of tea would be sugary slurry (only a single sugar but it would still be sweeter at the bottom). I've not taken sugar for maybe 15 years but old habits die hard.

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 06-Jun-15 17:10:51

I've always done it.
Its because of finding limescale from the kettle at the bottom in the past.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 06-Jun-15 17:11:30

I do it with my coffee. I've had bad experiences of limescale or a really sweet finishing mouthful and it put me off for life

Betsyblue Sat 06-Jun-15 17:11:36

I do it with coffee too and I have no idea why. It's probably because it's gone cold by the time I get to the bottom! Drives my husband mad.

thatniceperson Sat 06-Jun-15 17:11:59

I do this too.
My old kettle used to leave lime scale bits in the bottom of a cup and it was gross if I accidently drank them!
I'll never finish a full cup for fear of that again!

ChillySundays Sat 06-Jun-15 17:12:43

My DH does it - drives me nuts

ExitStageLeft Sat 06-Jun-15 17:12:47

I do this.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 06-Jun-15 17:13:31

I do this too, because I like it piping hot and it's usually cold by the time I get to the end.

MrsNextDoor Sat 06-Jun-15 17:13:45

I do it partially because I'm old enough to have been brought up on loose tea and partially because I take three sugars and the last inch is disgusting. grin

Foreverconfused Sat 06-Jun-15 17:13:48

I love the bottom bit as it's the sweetest grin

OhEmGeee Sat 06-Jun-15 17:14:52

My mil does this, I have no idea why.

Katedotness1963 Sat 06-Jun-15 17:15:36

I do it too. My dad used to call me "half-cup". It might have something to do with the loose tea days. My granny didn't always use the tea strainer and that was a nasty surprise for a last mouthful!

Mrsjayy Sat 06-Jun-15 17:17:38

I think its the last gulp is sweet i think that is why i dont drink it <dunno>

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 06-Jun-15 17:18:20

I don't have sugar in mine so nothing to do with sweetness!

PicaK Sat 06-Jun-15 17:19:56

I do this. I finally worked out that it's because I like to drink it when it's not too hot or too cold. I wait for it to cool down (when everyone around me is gulping it down with their asbestos mouths) and then start drinking when it's lovely and delicious. But then it gets too cold. So I stop.
Only realised I did this after having ds and all my new mum friends started to comment. One of would only give me half a cup because of the waste!
Your problem here is your Dh not emptying the cup out himself

Whichseason Sat 06-Jun-15 17:20:16

I do this but then i do put my own mug in the dishwasher.

SaulGood Sat 06-Jun-15 17:20:58

I do it because I do still use loose tea and always have. We also have a kettle which is prone to spitting lime scale without you noticing so it's best to avoid the last cm.

SoldierBear Sat 06-Jun-15 17:23:13

I do this! Don't drink tea and don't take sugar. Have soft water, so not because of lime scale. Just something I've always done.

Inertia Sat 06-Jun-15 17:23:13

I do it because I grew up in a hard-water area, so there was always that limescale risk. Now I live in a soft-water area, but haven't got out of the habit of leaving a bit of tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now