To think folk don't nick washing off lines

(50 Posts)
Mosschopz Wed 03-Jun-15 22:50:07

We've let the laundry slide so two loads tonight...and in the absence of enough space on the airer, I check the forecast and peg the second load out. Two sheets, a couple of towels and a (cheap) pair of DH's underpants. DH pulls a face and says he'll get it in as it'll most likely be nicked otherwise. AIBU to think my OCD DH is off his rocker?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 03-Jun-15 22:52:27

Maybe your Dh thinks his undercrackers are magic grin

DarylDixonsDarlin Wed 03-Jun-15 22:54:13

Depends how near the main road you are I guess! We used to live in an end of terrace, the washing line was at the back in the side road, open yard not enclosed - yep, stuff got nicked hmm

WiseKneeHair Wed 03-Jun-15 22:56:20

When I was a child, someone set fire to a sheet my DM left on the line overnight. shock
However, you probably live in a nicer neighbourhood than where I grew up, so dill probably be alright. grin

sooperdooper Wed 03-Jun-15 22:56:24

No, people don't nick stuff from washing lines, how odd!

MrsTedCrilly Wed 03-Jun-15 22:56:57

Yeah we live on a main road and had some nicked! Bastards. Have to dry everything inside angry How exposed is your garden?

Mosschopz Wed 03-Jun-15 23:02:39

The garden is surrounded by a six foot fence all the way round, and backs on to wasteland. It's a nice neighbourhood yes, but we have been burgled before. They didn't nick any pants though grin

NomNomDePlum Wed 03-Jun-15 23:03:48

i knew a bloke whose cat used to steal underwear off his neighbours' washing lines.
that's where he said all those pairs of knickers came from, anyway.

SeenSheen Wed 03-Jun-15 23:13:41

I've had stuff stolen by gypsies before, however it was from a washing area on an estate and not a garden.

Szeli Wed 03-Jun-15 23:19:46

my friend had her washing stolen off the line but it was sellable clothing

reni1 Wed 03-Jun-15 23:21:35

My cat stole stuff off washing lines sometimes blush .

ClumsyFool Wed 03-Jun-15 23:29:06

I'll often leave towels out over night, they always seems so much softer that way for some reason. Not had any pinched yet. Have left various other things out rather than bring them in damp to dry, I'm a little anal about washing smelling fresh and not damp or fusty at all and don't have a drier. Not had anything taken but then we're bordered by gardens on all sides and the gate to the back is locked so I can't see anyone going to that much effort for my granny pants grin

stareatthetvscreen Wed 03-Jun-15 23:33:54

my favourite dress ever was stolen off the washing line sad

Bair Wed 03-Jun-15 23:36:02

People nick off washing lines round here. Children's clothes, football tops, nice stuff.

DrElizabethPlimpton Wed 03-Jun-15 23:39:40

It is called snow dropping to steal from a washing line. I don't know how I remember this sort of rubbish.

Zebda Wed 03-Jun-15 23:39:59

I lost a bikini off a balcony clothes line on holiday in Lanzarote once, does that count? Fortunately it was the last day of the holiday.

seensheen just out of interest, how did you know it was 'gypsies'?

cozietoesie Wed 03-Jun-15 23:45:16

Our village had to deal with a knicker-nicker once. (He ended up inside for various reasons.) Your DH's underpants are likely safe, though, I'd have thought. smile

LittleMissIntrovert Thu 04-Jun-15 00:30:01

My MIL had her washing stolen off her line overnight. She still left washing out after that.

I won't leave washing out overnight as I'm convinced it would get stolen, I am paranoid though, and also convinced a spider would lay eggs in my trousers and I would have loads of baby spiders crawling round my legs <shudder>

ShadowFire Thu 04-Jun-15 00:46:47

I've never known anyone to have washing stolen from their washing line.

Ericaequites Thu 04-Jun-15 01:45:31

I know of a young man who stole women's undies from random clothes lines.

FastWindow Thu 04-Jun-15 01:49:39

It takes all sorts. Are towels really softer after a night out? I'd feel less slatternly if so.

HouseOfGingerbread Thu 04-Jun-15 07:04:34

We had loads of washing stolen off the line in our back garden a few years ago - enough to claim on insurance. The stuff left behind was mainly mine. I was a bit offended...

Roomba Thu 04-Jun-15 13:58:15

I had my best dress and all my knickers stolen from the line at my student house! They left my (non designer, holey) jeans behind.

I actually live very close to that house now, just a couple of streets away (though my house is much cleaner and tidier than the student house!). Never had anything nicked from the line here.

SillyStuffBiting Thu 04-Jun-15 14:02:18

It happens. I had my much prized white 501s snow dropped of the line in the 90s. I was gutted.

ScorpioMermaid Thu 04-Jun-15 14:02:44

Never happened to me personally but I know my DHs Aunt has had her washing complete with line and pegs stolen a couple of times. I think it's totally weird. they even stole her tumble dryer from an outhouse complete with clothing inside. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now