To ask for your tips to occupy a poorly ten month old?

(14 Posts)
mummyrunnerbean Wed 03-Jun-15 14:19:56

DS has tonsillitis/ laryngitis. We live in small flat. He's bored stiff and I'm going crazy. He's not really interested in TV (unless it's teletubbies on Netflix. He can't really eat anything... What can I distract him with? So far today's winner has been sitting on my lap watching the rumba...

MrsNextDoor Wed 03-Jun-15 14:27:58

Have you tried just plain old nursery rhymes on youtube? Or singing to him? Or bubble blowing?

Blazing88 Wed 03-Jun-15 14:29:28

I hear your pain. My LO has come out in chickenpox this morning and I also have a small toddler to entertain just agghhhh.

For your child, have you got any Difflam spray? Amazing stuff. Will sooth his throat so that he will eat.

mummyrunnerbean Wed 03-Jun-15 14:44:41

Oh yes we've done all the nursery rhymes/ singing/ reading books. His attention span is even shorter than usual and he started crying and pushing me away the last time I tried incy wincy spider... Difflam sounds promising Blazing. He's currently living on orange juice, semi-frozen Ella's fruit pouches and Petit Filous. He also cried when I had cheese on toast for lunch because he wanted some but when I gave it to him he couldn't manage it sad.

And his crying sounds like a kitten on helium because of the laryngitis sad sad.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 03-Jun-15 14:48:31

If you can go to quiet places, a walk with him in the buggy might either amuse him or give him some much needed sleep.
Or a drive in the car?
Just be outside, moving around in the fresh air.
Just don't stop and talk to too many people.

mummyrunnerbean Wed 03-Jun-15 14:54:27

I wasn't sure about taking him out as don't want to pass it on- but yes maybe car ride is a good idea!!

LokiBear Wed 03-Jun-15 15:08:57

Take him for a walk in his pushchair. I used to find fresh air worked wonders with a poorly dd.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 03-Jun-15 15:14:31

Not 100% sure on this,
But I think there might be different "versions" of tonsillitis?
I always had tonsillitis as a kid. But not the rest of my family or school friends.
So firstly, he might not be contagious
Second, if he is on antibiotics, then he shouldn't be contagious
Third, as long as nobody breathes right in his face, they are likely to be ok.
Go and enjoy the sunshine for a while!

Bath...full of toys....or no water and spray a can of shaving foam in and let him get covered in it then pop him in a proper bath.

Or a walk...definitely will help!

mummyrunnerbean Wed 03-Jun-15 18:26:50

Walk was an amazing idea- both he and I are now so much less cranky! Now for the bath full of shaving foam...

EmmaLL25 Wed 03-Jun-15 19:13:28

Gloop. Cornflour, water, food colouring optional. Pop in high chair and put on tray. It's fascinating stuff.

We quite often watch videos on youtube of animals, that's quite interesting.

Just spend time in different rooms. So play in their room, your room, the kitchen, just to be somewhere different.

Spot stuff from window - red van, blue car etc. etc.

DoJo Wed 03-Jun-15 19:19:47

Have you tried watching fractals on Youtube? This was my saviour in the middle of the night when my son was ill - he got mesmerised by it and would go into a sort of trance which made him completely forget that he was feeling crap! I used to put on my choice of music alongside them to keep me entertained and he would quite often drift off while watching them...

BitchBags Wed 03-Jun-15 19:30:52

Pasta or rice in a clear bottle keeps my almost 11 months Ds entertain for ages smile
he also loves remote controls and keys and goes mad with excitement if I line all the remotes and keys that I can find up for him to play with.
I hope your Ds is better soon

DieDeutschLehrerin Wed 03-Jun-15 20:35:52

Similar to pp, there's a YouTube channel called Penny Steam and is all steam trains. The rhythmic chuffing pacifies my son and often lulls him off to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now