Pregnancy test before Xray

(17 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Mon 01-Jun-15 19:29:24

I am probably being unreasonable. Basically, I am about to get an xray on my leg. I have been told that I have to have an xray because my husband and I are trying for a baby. I don't really want to because I can't see that it will make a difference - if I am they will tell me that any risk is minimal because it's non-abdominal and they might offer me an abdominal shield to wear. Plus it's only 7 days after I ovulated so it's unlikely any implantation would have taken place and surely it's too early for a wee sample to show pregnancy anyway?

I know I am probably being U but it is extending the length of my appointment by half an hour and whatever happens they will advise me to have the xray and I am going to have it. So it all feels like a bit of a waste of their time and mine.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 01-Jun-15 19:30:54

Negative. So now I can also spend the evening being irrationally miserable about the result.

Tonberry Mon 01-Jun-15 19:33:12

Just refuse to have the pregnancy test done, they can't force you to do it. Or ask for the lead apron to be given to you anyway.

X rays may have changed in recent times (I'm not clued up on them) but I know someone who was pregnant before scans were widely available and they were worried about the baby's growth in the third trimester so they did an xray. He's fine grin

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 01-Jun-15 19:36:39

YABU. They do this in case you're 2 months pregnant without being aware, then the radiation damages the foetus and then you sue them. They play it safe. The fact that you are ttc is clouding your judgement. But good luck with the ttc smile

Whatabout Mon 01-Jun-15 19:37:32

Where on your leg? Below knee then YADNBU, if above knee then unfortunately the hospital policy maybe that they require a pregnancy test. As an ex-radiographer I'd have had trouble signing to say you definitely weren't pregnant with or without a test and would have probably asked you to do one and given you lead to protect us both. It's a tricky one!

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 01-Jun-15 19:38:26

Actually they sometimes still do X-rays in the third trimester- it's in the first trimester when the foetus is forming that radiation can do damage

WiIdfire Mon 01-Jun-15 19:39:48

Its routine to offer, and generally a good idea. I know someone who insisted she could not be pregnant, was believed and had some xrays. Everyone (including her!) was a little surprised when the CT scan showed a 7 month pregnancy. Now thats a whole hell of a lot of radiation.

You don't have to do the test if you don't want to, but its a quick wee and half an hour extra. I think its reasonable for it to be actively encouraged.

You are right about the timing though, and for xrays where you can afford to wait, they dont go on urine tests, but ask people to book in in the first half of the cycle - more reliable.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 01-Jun-15 19:40:26

Gah- I don't mean radiation is harmless in the third trimester, just that it's more harmful in the first. I'll get me coat.

Tonberry Mon 01-Jun-15 19:41:41

I understood what you meant smile

I remember everyone being amazed that she knew the sex of the baby because it wasn't something people usually knew before birth then.

YouMeddlingKids Mon 01-Jun-15 19:43:35

BFN at 7dpo is no reason to get down OP... good luck! Test again in a week maybe?

AnUtterIdiot Mon 01-Jun-15 19:45:53

Xray is knee to ankle.

I don't think I am being entirely unreasonable, because the last time I had an x ray the girl did 't ask me at all, and when I said we were TTC she said they don't ask as the risk is so small with a below the knee x ray. But yes, there is an emotional side to it.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 01-Jun-15 19:47:38

Thanks all for the loveliness though! I feel a bit better.

CMOTDibbler Mon 01-Jun-15 19:47:38

They have to do pregnancy tests on anyone who might be pregnant as people do say they aren't, and then turn out to be. Of course it doesn't catch the very early pregnancies, but the risk mitigation has to be done.
The effect of radiation on the foetus isn't as clear cut as 'being OK', as for most dose levels the risk is an increased risk of cancer (though it is complicated and there are a range of things).

Giving x rays to someone known to be pregnant to areas other than hand/foot/tooth (where the dose to foetus is known to be very, very low) requires a full risk/benefit analysis to be done by a medical physicist along with the doctors responsible for the mothers care, so isn't nearly as simple as by trimester

Topseyt Mon 01-Jun-15 20:12:12

It is just to protect you and any developing foetus as much as possible, particularly in very early pregnancy when many women may not yet realise they are pregnant.

X-rays can be harmful to a developing baby, so they are no longer routinely or knowingly used on pregnant women as I understand it.

There was a time when that wasn't the case though as Tomberry said. Before the relatively safe ultrasound became widely available then pregnant women could be x-rayed for things that ultrasound is now used for.

Back in 1966 my mother was x-rayed when very heavily pregnant with me because they couldn't work out how I was lying (transverse as the x-ray suggested, and with head too big to fit through her pelvis even if I did turn). I must say that I don't seem to have been harmed by it, but it isn't recommended now for good reasons.

Good luck with the x-ray and with TTC btw.

Whatabout Mon 01-Jun-15 20:18:56

www.ipem.ac.uk/Portals/0/Images/Protection%20of%20pregnant%20patients.pdf

These are the guidelines, any X-ray between diaphragm and knees requires confirmation of pregnancy status.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 01-Jun-15 20:28:02

Having read the guidelines, I think I was BU, but I am glad to have been able to vent a bit smile

ttc2015 Mon 01-Jun-15 22:40:28

Good luck in two weeks op! Fingers crossed for bfp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now